First post.

Rate this topic

patrick

Hi, I have been a member for some time but this is my first post. Here are a few pictures of my new layout which has been under construction for the last few months. My intrest is in CIE from the late sixties to the mid seventies and the theme for the layout is an imagined connection between Dungarvan and Youghal. This will allow me to run loose coupled goods as well as manganese, oil and Bell ferry trains behind black and tan diesels. The rolling stock is Murphy Models, Silver Fox and amixture of modofied Parkside and scratch built wagons on Dapol underframes. I was hoping to post more photos but I am having trouble doing so. I will post some more when I figure it out.

IMAG0110.jpg

Oct_13_055.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

Oct_13_055.jpg

That is a representation of a fertilizer wagon which were flats mounted on 4 wheel container wagons. The demensions were guesstimated from photos which did not show them very clearly but I remember them from the days before the bogies were introduced. I doubt if many photos were taken of these wagons. A train of them can be seen in "Rails Through the West" on page 53 but they also ran in loose coupled goods trains.

Hi Patrick,

Welcome. A great start. Our railways are set in much the same part of the country. My Cildargan is set on the old GS&WR line from Mallow to Waterford and Rosslare.

I've been looking for info on the 4whl Fertilizer Wagon. A close-up side and end view would be much appreciated.

Cheers, FrankS in Tasmania.

Nice stock the corrugated opens look pretty good, a "Back to Back" train show up in

Cork City Railway 1975.

The fertiliser was carried on open containers in a similar manner to kegs with lift off side panels rather than purpose built wagons, the flats were later used under the beet doubles.

Thanks for all the posotive feedback guys. It is espically appreciated from modellers who understand what I'm trying to achieve. Here are some photos of the "back to back" fertilizer wagons for FrankS.(I didn't know that is what they were called.) Also are a few of the Bulleid opens and the home made stamp used in their construction. The material used is 40 guage copper found at a craft store placed between the stamp and a piece of pine. A hammer is then used to form the corrugations. It can be cut with a sharp sissors or knife. I use the type with the extendable blade which can be broken off at the soint when it gets dull. These are some of the first of these wagons I have made but I have already improvements in mind. The lip around the top edge is too large for a start but it seems more apperant in photos. The under frames are modofied from Dapol meat vans. I also use these for H vans. If anyone is intrested I can post som more photos of the opens under construction.

2010-01-01 00.57.13.jpg

2010-01-01 13.32.25.jpg

2010-01-01 13.30.05.jpg

2010-01-01 13.27.58.jpg

2010-01-01 13.25.26.jpg

2010-01-01 13.19.13.jpg

2010-01-01 13.18.35.jpg

2010-01-01 00.57.13.jpg

2010-01-01 13.32.25.jpg

2010-01-01 13.30.05.jpg

2010-01-01 13.27.58.jpg

2010-01-01 13.25.26.jpg