Is the 121 the final MM model?

Rate this topic

iarnrod

I supposed you should never say never to anything, there is of course for those who prefer steam the locos at Whiteheaven or Downpatrick to consider and possible new models, I know some have been done but there are also those in Cultra as well to think about.

Colin R

1 hour ago, Colin R said:

I supposed you should never say never to anything, there is of course for those who prefer steam the locos at Whiteheaven or Downpatrick to consider and possible new models, I know some have been done but there are also those in Cultra as well to think about.

Colin R

"Whiteheaven" - I like that!

It's been said before, of course, but a "WT" class 2.6.4T is probably the best idea for a commercially viable Irish steam loco, or maybe one of the GSWR 4.4.0 classes.

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

It's been said before, of course, but a "WT" class 2.6.4T is probably the best idea for a commercially viable Irish steam loco, or maybe one of the GSWR 4.4.0 classes.

Haven’t a clue where that one came from, I must have been thinking of something else I guess, but yes heritage Irish steam loco they could add a bit of varity to anyone’s layout, according to Wikipedia there are 16 Standard Gauge Irish locos that have the possibly of having either kits or RTR model made of them.

In my opinion if you are going to do just one Irish steam loco then it has to be the one from the film the quiet man the American market would make sure it sold well, and better still if is also came with a train of carriages.

Once you have a working 4-4-0 Chassis it might be possible to develop a number of other Irish 4-4-0 loco types.

Colin  

Edited by Colin R

1 hour ago, Colin R said:

In my opinion if you are going to do just one Irish steam loco then it has to be the one from the film the quiet man the American market would make sure it sold well, and better still if is also came with a train of carriages.

Well, that would work as the “Quiet Man” loco is exactly that - a GSWR 4.4.0!

As for others, there was such little in the way of standardisation that a generic 4.4.0 chassis would be unlikely to be possible.

The Hattons “Genesis” project 6-wheelers (not the 4-wheelers, though) are coincidentally not unlike several GSWR types, so if they can be persuaded to do some in CIE livery, we have suitable carriages!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Well, that would work as the “Quiet Man” loco is exactly that - a GSWR 4.4.0!

As for others, there was such little in the way of standardisation that a generic 4.4.0 chassis would be unlikely to be possible.

The Hattons “Genesis” project 6-wheelers (not the 4-wheelers, though) are coincidentally not unlike several GSWR types, so if they can be persuaded to do some in CIE livery, we have suitable carriages!

When Hatton’s spoke about the Genesis project, I did ask them if the liveries where fixed to those they had announced, at the time they could not confirm that but they where interested in the possibilities of further livery suggestions.   

13 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Agree about a Jeep John. Strangely enough there is a care home in Whitehead called Whitehaven!

Edited by airfixfan
  • Like 2

Personally I just hope they have a chat at MM and say "fuck it we will do a re run off everything"

Followed by the best reasonable explanation ever "for the craic" 

In all seriousness though if they do decide to continue what sort of timeline would you expect for something new.

Mrk2ds etc obviously wouldn't take very long. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IANG said:

In all seriousness though if they do decide to continue what sort of timeline would you expect for something new.

Mrk2ds etc obviously wouldn't take very long. 

In the current grand scheme of things, they would probably be unwise to offer a date. Too many variables are disrupting things right now- the Covidpox, backlogs in Chinese factories, transport delays, possible customs issues if travelling via Brexitland......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

In the current grand scheme of things, they would probably be unwise to offer a date. Too many variables are disrupting things right now- the Covidpox, backlogs in Chinese factories, transport delays, possible customs issues if travelling via Brexitland......

Also, Paddy Murphy is a one-man-band, so all of the research etc prior to even deciding what to run, falls squarely on his shoulders.

And, I'm sure he's pretty much flat-out for the next few months with the 121's!

• Like 1