Is the 121 the final MM model?

Rate this topic

iarnrod

Let's hope not!

It may be likely that it's the final loco, but there have to more coaches on the way.

The Mk2D's span the black and tan, SuperTrain, IR and IE generations, and there's even one of them in the RPSI's green rake today, possibly another one soon.

That tooling has to be good for another few runs, one hopes!

22 hours ago, iarnrod said:

Is the 121 the final MM model?

I hope this is not the case. Don't see any reason that there might not be commercially successful re-runs of models such as the Cravens or M2d coaches especially in IE/IR Tippex which are like gold dust. It's highly likely that this forum might not exist except for PM and his produce over decades that fostered the rebirth of the entire Irish railway modelling scene, and all that followed in his wake. We can hardly expect more, despite the understandable desire for more. PM ran a successful model business not a benevolent society, yes we are very grateful for the enjoyment his products have given us and the stimulus he provided to railway modelling in Ireland. No more do we suffer Hornby, Bachmann, nor Lima respray cast offs masquerading as Irish stock. We are fortunate that IRM/Accurascale may be the vehicle to continue the crusade started by Murphy Models, only time will tell, but so far its looking good, with the A class due next year not to mention the Irish Wagons to date (ie Ballast, Cement, Tara, Fertiliser, 42ft flats).

Personally as somebody who hand painted BR stock in the 1970s to look vaguely Irish and CIE, the hobby was transformed for me the day I took my son to see the magnificently stimulating O gauge Fry model railway layout in Malahide castle about 2007 or 2008. After watching the mesmerising and action packed layout operation, we were passing through the souvenir shop, when almost by accident a Murphy Model 181 class no 182 in its box on display caught my eye. My jaw dropped! I was in utter disbelief that a fine scale model of a real Irish CIE locomotive existed let alone be on sale there and then. I'd never even heard of Murphy Models having been out of the hobby for about 15 years. I bought it on the spot despite what seemed a high price at the time compared to BR stuff, but by todays standard it was a steal. I rushed home, had to clean the track as the layout had not been operated for some years, turned on the DC system and ran the loco which blew my mind such was its precision engineering running quality. It was the catalyst that got me going anyway. 

Whatever MM's future plans may be, the company can hold its head up high, and I say thank you for the enjoyment your commercial products gave, and I hope you made a good financial return by producing them.

CIE 182 - The actual model that rekindled my interest in this hobby, purchased at Malahide castle circa 2007 or 2008.

IMG_0265.jpg

• Like 9

12 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

I know a man.........

Please tell him thank you very much from me, and I'm sure thousands of other Irish model train fans, including some not yet even born who will benefit in the future. 

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Some man for one man!
His sons are not interested in continuing the business ( and neither am I !!!)
But don't write the auld codger off yet 

That last line is all I needed to hear to be able to sleep well tonight!

And his sons are named Fran, Stephen and Patrick?

• Informative 1
  • Funny 3

17 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Id be happy enough if the 121 class was the final Murphy Models model if that meant Re-run of the 141 and 071 class in the near future.

141/181 were manufactured by Bachmann for MM, 071 was pure MM production.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noel said:

141/181 were manufactured by Bachmann for MM, 071 was pure MM production.

so it would take A Bachmann collaboration for a 141/181 re release? while the 071 would be a lot easier. It would be nice if even one of the two had a second run as its impossible to get your hands on some of those locos, and the ones that do pop up are incredibly expensive. 

9 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

so it would take A Bachmann collaboration for a 141/181 re release? while the 071 would be a lot easier. It would be nice if even one of the two had a second run as its impossible to get your hands on some of those locos, and the ones that do pop up are incredibly expensive. 

I've no idea. A consideration for MM.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The NIR (except 112) and the Grey 071s were released as Limited Editions of 252 units each. Each shipped with a card in the box stating its production run. 

The orange ones remained in stock for awhile but the freight and limited run models sold quick enough.

Edited by Railer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Id be happy enough if the 121 class was the final Murphy Models model if that meant Re-run of the 141 and 071 class in the near future.

For the last time people it is highly unlikely that either of these models will be re released by MM. We have gone over this a dozen times so I will not repeat the math involved but unless another manufacturer gets involved they will not be coming out any time soon

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WRENNEIRE said:

For the last time people it is highly unlikely that either of these models will be re released by MM. We have gone over this a dozen times so I will not repeat the math involved but unless another manufacturer gets involved they will not be coming out any time soon

Sorry, when are the 071's being re-run?

:D

2 hours ago, Railer said:

The NIR (except 112) and the Grey 071s were released as Limited Editions of 252 units each. Each shipped with a card in the box stating its production run. 

The orange ones remained in stock for awhile but the freight and limited run models sold quick enough.

There was a sudden surge in 071 sales this summer, and I firmly blame IRM and their bloomin' Project 42, with lockdown compounding wagons that were already almost impossible to resist.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Sorry, when are the 071's being re-run?

:D

There was a sudden surge in 071 sales this summer, and I firmly blame IRM and their bloomin' Project 42, with lockdown compounding wagons that were already almost impossible to resist.

Paddy blamed us for that too! Or thanked us, whatever way you look at it! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

apologies I'm new here, I don't know what done to death and what isint!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...