00 Works UTA UG Loco

Rate this topic

popeye

42 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

The point if colorising is not for precise colours. It is rather to spark the imagination of somone as to give them a better idea of what it was like if they werent there and see B/W photos much harder to understand. Some cheap colorising programmes are awful and make everything into browns and ocasional greens. My one does the odd very convincing one (typically if the sky is done correctly done). Ballast and platforms often come out with green simetimes but that be altered sometimes and the worst offender of all when looking at railway related colourisation's is loco's and Rolling stock which often looks completely wrong.

Screenshot_20210319-161222_Instagram.thumb.jpg.a49042e60f0e3a60f772d9706a31a03b.jpg

A good colourisation. No locomotive, beutiful sky and some might even mistake it as real colour photography at a glance. IMG_20200825_140757_568.thumb.jpg.38ef67e55334712543b5c841149f9ffc.jpg

When Colourisation goes bad. A bullied railcar wears orange like its 1985! The station looks dull, C class looks like a dirty silver C class when in that pic it should be green.

Yes, indeed, perfect examples of both! That Bullied Railcar one I had seen - it had me running for my smelling salts......!

42 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Did we ever meet on a WP. on a well known NG railway!     😎

PS. Colour has the potential too become a long running thread, like on another group I'm on

Is that YOU, Mike? Are we talking about a journey in 1979?

I wonder if Roderick might do a re-run!

On 22/3/2021 at 6:53 PM, Westcorkrailway said:

This is taken at thr DNGR with engines ready for scrap. That loco inbetween could easily pass of as one of the cbsc tanks. Id swear there one of the same 

FB_IMG_1616421491504.jpg.d34b9778d4d78bc3eba10848db2f4738.jpg

First two are identical, Westcork, both DNGR tanks. I see what you mean about similarities with CBSCR saddle-tanks (a rare enough breed in Ireland) but if you see a DNGR and a CBSCR one together, you'd  see they're quite different..... 

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I wonder if Roderick might do a re-run!

First two are identical, Westcork, both DNGR tanks. I see what you mean about similarities with CBSCR saddle-tanks (a rare enough breed in Ireland) but if you see a DNGR and a CBSCR one together, you'd  see they're quite different..... 

A LNWR Crew Special Tank might be a better option for OO Works with potentially greater demand from LNWR, LMS and BR modellers than "passing off" a Beyer Peacock tank as a DNGR locomotive.

There does not appear to be a rtr model of the Special Tanks and it would fit in with OO Works approach of manufacturing small to medium sized British Pre-Group locos

Apart from the larger splashers the main difference between the "Specials Tanks" and the DNGR locomotives was wheel size

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNWR_Special_Tank#/media/File:Crwe_works_7_geograph-2219142.jpg

3 hours ago, Galteemore said:

I think there’s also the spoke issue. The Irish locos had conventional spokes whereas the English ones had standard LNW ‘H’ style spokes. 

It would be simple enough for OO Works to fit conventional spokes using their batch building technique Markits produce both conventional and H style driving wheels.

The trick bit is whether the market is sophisticated enough to expect the larger DX wheels and running board.

I suppose they could produce both a DX goods and a Crew Special Tank for the UK market and swap the running board and superstructure to produce a DNGR loco.

It would still be simpler and less sacrilegious than trying to mate a London Road Models or GEM DX and Crew Special tank. 

Many years ago I tried converting a GEM whitemetal Crew Special into a 21mm gauge DNGR loco and it was not a happy experience.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2