00 Works UTA UG Loco

Rate this topic

popeye

I'm watching that one out of morbid curiosity. I'm not sure the high prices being paid for diesels at the moment is going to translate to even higher prices for rarer steam models. It sounds logical but most modellers of Irish outline are modelling diesel, certainly the RTR modellers anyway. The guys who model steam are probably used to building kits for half the price of the reserve, so can't see anybody hitting the buy it now button at over a grand in €.

• Funny 1

I am after a UG but not at that price particularly as having to import into the independent state of Haltwhistle from the EU there will be Vat to pay. I see that OO Works have the ex CBSC 0-6-0st tank varieties on E Bay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OOWorks-Irish-CBSCR-Saddle-tank-Green-New/114726371064?hash=item1ab6397ef8:g:xU4AAOSwLQtgTfid

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

I am after a UG but not at that price particularly as having to import into the independent state of Haltwhistle from the EU there will be Vat to pay. I see that OO Works have the ex CBSC 0-6-0st tank varieties on E Bay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OOWorks-Irish-CBSCR-Saddle-tank-Green-New/114726371064?hash=item1ab6397ef8:g:xU4AAOSwLQtgTfid

Thats.....better abeit the market for that loco is extraordinarily small. I might get one in the FAR future as it fits as well into my layout as a 141. 

A lot to talk about here!

Ernie, At the moment, the UG is on "No bids", so you could offer the starting price? I think you'll find a way to avoid the VAT - I'll PM you.

WCR, it's not for me to spend your money, young man, but Roderick tends to do short runs - remember that this is a very short run, as the loco has an English version and a hundred or so is USUALLY his annual output.

Thanks for the Heads-up Popeye, for when I looked at his advert, I saw other nice LSWR machines! AND, maybe I should support him and get a CBSCR version - it'll look nice as an "ornament" in my Ikea Glass case!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

He offers it in both CBSCR green (pre-1925) and also GSR grey. Different numbers - the 00 Works website has all details.

There were inly a few of these locos, and they were gone by the mid-40s; also, their range of operation was quite simply nowhere but Wisht Caaark plus shunting between Albert Quay, Victoria Quay, Penrose Quay and Glanmire.

It's only just occurred to me to wonder if one of there locos ever made it to Macroom; it's possible but I'd say unlikely. It's a very nice little model and suitable for an imaginary branchline anywhere - if they could send MGWR tank engines to Ballinascarthy and Tramore, who's to say that a West Cork loco didn't end up on the fictitious Ballygobackwards branch in Co. Cavan! "Rule No. 1" applies!

Might get one myself............

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

A lot to talk about here!

Ernie, At the moment, the UG is on "No bids", so you could offer the starting price? I think you'll find a way to avoid the VAT - I'll PM you.

WCR, it's not for me to spend your money, young man, but Roderick tends to do short runs - remember that this is a very short run, as the loco has an English version and a hundred or so is USUALLY his annual output.

Thanks for the Heads-up Popeye, for when I looked at his advert, I saw other nice LSWR machines! AND, maybe I should support him and get a CBSCR version - it'll look nice as an "ornament" in my Ikea Glass case!

CBSCR Livery does look very tempting. However it would be something id only get for the sake of getting one as i have VERY limited funds. GSR version would be more prototypical for my layout but i don't think i like it all to much.

1 minute ago, jhb171achill said:

He offers it in both CBSCR green (pre-1925) and also GSR grey. Different numbers - the 00 Works website has all details.

There were inly a few of these locos, and they were gone by the mid-40s; also, their range of operation was quite simply nowhere but Wisht Caaark plus shunting between Albert Quay, Victoria Quay, Penrose Quay and Glanmire.

It's only just occurred to me to wonder if one of there locos ever made it to Macroom; it's possible but I'd say unlikely. It's a very nice little model and suitable for an imaginary branchline anywhere - if they could send MGWR tank engines to Ballinascarthy and Tramore, who's to say that a West Cork loco didn't end up on the fictitious Ballygobackwards branch in Co. Cavan! "Rule No. 1" applies!

Might get one myself............

Definitely a few fictitious things deffinetly carrdiges for a start.....maybe if i focus on crossbarry the kinsale branch will be open ect. This loco would be one of those things and it is beautiful (in pre grouping livery). Despite it being completely prototypical to West Cork exclusively. I can't just "snap" one up! 

3 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

CBSCR Livery does look very tempting. However it would be something id only get for the sake of getting one as i have VERY limited funds. GSR version would be more prototypical for my layout but i don't think i like it all to much.

Definitely a few fictitious things deffinetly carrdiges for a start.....maybe if i focus on crossbarry the kinsale branch will be open ect. This loco would be one of those things and it is beautiful (in pre grouping livery). Despite it being completely prototypical to West Cork exclusively. I can't just "snap" one up! 

A loco like this would probably have worked the Kinsale branch. There seems limited info about what they actually DID on their home turf; my guess would be mostly branch work. In steam days the main line was to Skibbereen (in diesel days they switched this to Bantry), so I would suggest that the 472 class were probably mostly to be seen on Drimoleague - Bantry, Kinsale Jct. - Kinsale, and the Ballinascarthy and Courtmacsherry lines. 

If you take this loco in green, you're pre-1930 - although the livery changed to grey in 1925, they took their time repainting the lot, and there are contemporary reports of a number of CBSCR locos still green for a few years afterwards. But you'd need six wheel coaches. Get some of the new Hattons ones and paint them the same green as the loco. If you model a branch line, the typical pattern in West Cork was 2 or 3 trains a day - one mixed and the other(s) passenger only.

You can use a bit of "licence" and fast forward to the 1950s and get a Silverfox railcar in CIE green, or a Silverfox "C" class in dirty silver, and pretend that one of these 472 class types survived a bit longer - but then you're looking at the grey model.

All in all, many options!

By the way, if you ever want details of a West Cork timetable, PM me privately - I have all of them from 1926 onwards. I can copy the relevant bit for you.

3 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

A loco like this would probably have worked the Kinsale branch. There seems limited info about what they actually DID on their home turf; my guess would be mostly branch work. In steam days the main line was to Skibbereen (in diesel days they switched this to Bantry), so I would suggest that the 472 class were probably mostly to be seen on Drimoleague - Bantry, Kinsale Jct. - Kinsale, and the Ballinascarthy and Courtmacsherry lines. 

If you take this loco in green, you're pre-1930 - although the livery changed to grey in 1925, they took their time repainting the lot, and there are contemporary reports of a number of CBSCR locos still green for a few years afterwards. But you'd need six wheel coaches. Get some of the new Hattons ones and paint them the same green as the loco. If you model a branch line, the typical pattern in West Cork was 2 or 3 trains a day - one mixed and the other(s) passenger only.

You can use a bit of "licence" and fast forward to the 1950s and get a Silverfox railcar in CIE green, or a Silverfox "C" class in dirty silver, and pretend that one of these 472 class types survived a bit longer - but then you're looking at the grey model.

All in all, many options!

By the way, if you ever want details of a West Cork timetable, PM me privately - I have all of them from 1926 onwards. I can copy the relevant bit for you.

Ive only seen pictures of the 472's working on the quays, or working the clonakilty branch in the GSR days. If i got this loco i would probably get the pre grouping variant and buy maybe 2 6 wheel coaches in CBSCR maroon i belive it was. And just shoe horn it in with 1950s locos on the odd running session just to have a pre grouping loco example. GSR grey doesn't sit well with me on that model! 

Lets just hope no one buys it before i inevitably want to impulse buy it!

Whenever i get round to actually laying the track ill PM for those timetables. 

34 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Ive only seen pictures of the 472's working on the quays, or working the clonakilty branch in the GSR days. If i got this loco i would probably get the pre grouping variant and buy maybe 2 6 wheel coaches in CBSCR maroon i belive it was. And just shoe horn it in with 1950s locos on the odd running session just to have a pre grouping loco example. GSR grey doesn't sit well with me on that model! 

The CBSCR always painted carriages the same olive green as their locos, at various times with white upper panels, other times plain green. The lining on carriages was a pale yellow.

The GSR initially painted carriages an extremely dark maroon colour - check out the preserved GSWR coach at Downpatrick, No. 836 - so dark it almost looks brownish. From 1933 onwards they used a much lighter shade - what would nowadays be called "burgundy". So if you like maroon rather than green coaches, maybe go for modelling the 1925-30 period - you can still have your loco "not yet repainted" in grey if you don't like that! - plus this very dark "crimson lake" colour on carriages. Go for late CBSCR days and loco and coaches are green.

Unfortunately, for GSR days, every single solitary loco they possessed was plain grey bar the three 800 class - like the 071s now! It was only in in the mid-50s that CIE started painting some locos black - though the majority stayed grey (covered in seven layers of soot!) until withdrawal.

The one and only black loco I am aware of that ever worked over the West Cork system was the "Bandon Tank" No. 464 in its very last few years (it had been grey up to mid-50s) and literally about a year or 18 months before withdrawal, preserved No. 90 seems to have got a new coat of black paint. Out'n'about round the system, though, always grey, unless a green "Bandon Tank" got an occasional run there in the early fifties - I doubt it, as the only reason one was painted green was to operate on Dublin suburban services.

Again, always go by "Rule No. 1", which states "It's your layout"! I had many a layout in my youth which was far from correct historically!

However, simply as a matter of record, the situation was as above.

You've got me looking up 00 Works again.....!

I have two of Roderick's J15s - excellent locos. I missed the GNR ones, but everyone I know who has one is WELL satisfied with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

The CBSCR always painted carriages the same olive green as their locos, at various times with white upper panels, other times plain green. The lining on carriages was a pale yellow.

The GSR initially painted carriages an extremely dark maroon colour - check out the preserved GSWR coach at Downpatrick, No. 836 - so dark it almost looks brownish. From 1933 onwards they used a much lighter shade - what would nowadays be called "burgundy". So if you like maroon rather than green coaches, maybe go for modelling the 1925-30 period - you can still have your loco "not yet repainted" in grey if you don't like that! - plus this very dark "crimson lake" colour on carriages. Go for late CBSCR days and loco and coaches are green.

Unfortunately, for GSR days, every single solitary loco they possessed was plain grey bar the three 800 class - like the 071s now! It was only in in the mid-50s that CIE started painting some locos black - though the majority stayed grey (covered in seven layers of soot!) until withdrawal.

The one and only black loco I am aware of that ever worked over the West Cork system was the "Bandon Tank" No. 464 in its very last few years (it had been grey up to mid-50s) and literally about a year or 18 months before withdrawal, preserved No. 90 seems to have got a new coat of black paint. Out'n'about round the system, though, always grey, unless a green "Bandon Tank" got an occasional run there in the early fifties - I doubt it, as the only reason one was painted green was to operate on Dublin suburban services.

Again, always go by "Rule No. 1", which states "It's your layout"! I had many a layout in my youth which was far from correct historically!

However, simply as a matter of record, the situation was as above.

You've got me looking up 00 Works again.....!

I have two of Roderick's J15s - excellent locos. I missed the GNR ones, but everyone I know who has one is WELL satisfied with it.

If i ever get around to the bandon tank (by the way if you know anyone who would be willing to contract to making the kit pm me) it will be in black as is number 90. Didnt wear it for very long but i like the livery.

I was looking at the 00 works model ages ago but because how early it was withdrawn i was put off......however the pre grouping livery is making me have second thaughts

Picture of Kinsale station circa 1900. CBSCR white pannels are eveident

Screenshot_20200709-101000_Facebook.thumb.jpg.b0d5dcd7cd2a4f7d41208e8ada221b51.jpg

3 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

If i ever get around to the bandon tank (by the way if you know anyone who would be willing to contract to making the kit pm me) it will be in black as is number 90. Didnt wear it for very long but i like the livery.

I was looking at the 00 works model ages ago but because how early it was withdrawn i was put off......however the pre grouping livery is making me have second thaughts

Screenshot_20200709-101000_Facebook.thumb.jpg.b0d5dcd7cd2a4f7d41208e8ada221b51.jpg

Yes, that's the olive green and white - and you can see that the coach behind it is olive green all over.

I'm sure some of the Hattons six-wheelers will be in (British) Southern Railway green. Now, before I go on, beware - the SR had, at different times, two VERY different shades of green, one of which is completely unsuitable. The "malachite" shade is wrong. I can't recall what they call the other shade, but it's an olive green. IF Hattons do any of their 6 wheeled coaches in the SR olive colour, all you have to do is gently remove "SOUTHERN RAILWAY" from the sides, and you'll have something about right.

These things aren't expensive - I think they will be maybe £30 a throw?

So, you get the 00 Works loco in green, and two of these things, and half a dozen wagons (all in very dark grey; I have an idea that at one time the CBSCR may have painted some wagons black but I'd have to check), and hey presto! A CBSCR branchline train.......

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Hi JHB, I thought the CBSC green was a sage green? I believe the Bandon also had some of those "tilt" opens with a bar to support the sheet that were painted an oxide red/brown. If I'm wrong mines the wrong colour! I'm sure you are right about the black for some wagons and wheshty is the man for transfers. It was Maunsell who introduced the dark olive green on the SR.

PS. i am very happy now I have Rails in Cork and Kerry. Very enjoyable reading.

The "sage" green on the CBSCR has also been described as "olive" green; from what I can gather, there is no certain shade to be seen, although one Cyril Fry model is of a CBSCR coach in a green which wouldn't really qualify as either. Fry was generally extremely accurate with liveries where he could, but to be fair to him, it's unlikely he was ever in Skibbereen as a small child.

I'm not even sure what "sage" would look like, but I wouldn't have put it too much of olive.....?

Regarding the brown wagon, that's quite possible. I know of no comprehensive archive regarding CBSCR wagon liveries, but from what details I've picked up, at a very early stage some appear to have been varnished wood with black ironwork, later they were black or a very dark grey, though I have no further details. And I cannot currently find all of my notes, as I am in post-house-move mode, with all sorts of stuff still in boxes! Once I get sorted out I will look up to see what else I may have.

Out is interest, where did you pick up on the brown livery?

Edited by jhb171achill

10 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Hi JHB, I thought the CBSC green was a sage green? I believe the Bandon also had some of those "tilt" opens with a bar to support the sheet that were painted an oxide red/brown. If I'm wrong mines the wrong colour! I'm sure you are right about the black for some wagons and wheshty is the man for transfers. It was Maunsell who introduced the dark olive green on the SR.

PS. i am very happy now I have Rails in Cork and Kerry. Very enjoyable reading.

I got that book along with about 30 other railway books in a local library clear-out for peanuts! Not to mention some goodies in some of the books!

The Beyer Peacock 0-6-0ST seem to have been used for both main line goods and mixed traffic work until displaced by the "Bandon Tanks" on the West Cork system.

There is a 1914 LCGB photo of 0-6-0St No17 hauling a Clonakilty-Cork mixed train near Cork in Ernie Shepherds  CBSCR book.

It will be interesting to see whether OO Works will produce more Irish locos.

Planned new  2021 models the LSWR Jubilee & Midland 2F 0-6-0 are British Pre-Group types that survived into Grouping and BR ownership with a potentially higher level of demand than a similar Irish loco.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Now, before I go on, beware - the SR had, at different times, two VERY different shades of green, one of which is completely unsuitable. The "malachite" shade is wrong. I can't recall what they call the other shade, but it's an olive green. 

Also known as Eastleigh Works Green or Maunsell Green. My first ever brass 6w coach was painted this colour ...just after this photo I glazed it and next day sold it to Rails of Sheffield to buy Irish kits ! Rather crudely finished but building it taught me a lot  - not least that 6w coaches need some kind of forgiving chassis ! 

6FF11E02-0BDB-43F9-9A1B-BD135BAF860C.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Mayner said:

t will be interesting to see whether OO Works will produce more Irish locos.

Planned new  2021 models the LSWR Jubilee & Midland 2F 0-6-0 are British Pre-Group types that survived into Grouping and BR ownership with a potentially higher level of demand than a similar Irish loco

Hopefully. Maybe a more universal or recognisable locomotive would be key. (As would something not withdrawn before the 2nd world war) because the CBCSR is niche market. 

Of course while I'd love something like T&C locos St.Mologa and Argadeen. 00 works have done a west cork loco now theyll probobly try do some other railways in ireland.

Hi JHB,

I took the red/oxide colour from the tender description on page 126 of Shepherd's Cork Bandon & South Coast rly. The tender does state lead paint and I took that to mean red lead as white lead didn't make much sense. I also accept that in 1903/4 most external paint subject to heavy use would have lead in it. There's a photo on page 125.  My wagon stays brown!!

I apologise;🤔 it is the North Kerry Limerick to Tralee volume I was refering to (always check before posting!) I bought it from Parrott Books on line. I think they are in Hemel Hempstead

:trains:

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Also known as Eastleigh Works Green or Maunsell Green. My first ever brass 6w coach was painted this colour ...just after this photo I glazed it and next day sold it to Rails of Sheffield to buy Irish kits ! Rather crudely finished but building it taught me a lot  - not least that 6w coaches need some kind of forgiving chassis ! 

6FF11E02-0BDB-43F9-9A1B-BD135BAF860C.jpeg

From various bits and pieces I've picked up over the years, it would be my impression that CBSCR green was something broadly like this, maybe not QUITE as "olivey", but with no definitive proof that I'm aware of, it's open to the elements. Locomotives the same, of course.

15 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Hi JHB,

I took the red/oxide colour from the tender description on page 126 of Shepherd's Cork Bandon & South Coast rly. The tender does state lead paint and I took that to mean red lead as white lead didn't make much sense. I also accept that in 1903/4 most external paint subject to heavy use would have lead in it. There's a photo on page 125.  My wagon stays brown!!

I apologise;🤔 it is the North Kerry Limerick to Tralee volume I was refering to (always check before posting!) I bought it from Parrott Books on line. I think they are in Hemel Hempstead

Yes, it WOULD be red lead, and that was an economy measure, just like the CDR once put TAR on some wagons!

Red lead had an orangey brown colour; I recall Senior had a pot of it which he got from Inchicore when I was a Small Person. He was fitting out a shed with shelves at the time and building a wheelbarrow 9with an old railway wheel, which I wish I'd kept). He told me that in wagon building in both the GS and the GN, and probably further afield, red lead pain was often used as both a preservative and undercoat. Once dry, it protected wood very well indeed and hardened it. 

The CBSCR have clearly painted some wagons with this stuff, and always with an eye to cutting costs at Albert Quay, have then just lettered the wagon and placed it into traffic like that. Now that you mention this, I remember it.

I cannot tell how many wagons were treated this way, or how many were treated in the other ways I mentioned. Interesting stuff!

Naturally, when the GSR took over, everything was gradually repainted their standard grey.

Hope you enjoy the book! Next one's with the publisher now, but he has to work from home right now...........

49 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Hopefully. Maybe a more universal or recognisable locomotive would be key. (As would something not withdrawn before the 2nd world war) because the CBCSR is niche market. 

Of course while I'd love something like T&C locos St.Mologa and Argadeen. 00 works have done a west cork loco now theyll probobly try do some other railways in ireland.

Yes, as "niche" as you could get!

My understanding is that no further Irish locomotives are currently planned by 00 Works, but who's to say there never will be! I know he has a good few British items planned.

14 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

And through the magic of AI; You can get from this, a rough idea of what it would have looked like in colour:

4c844317c137d2411e9ae11cdce20f03.png.c554bcb8de192bc20bcf0ed2f049d52a.png

• Like 4

ShaneC that's a rather good colourization you have posted. I like it very much thank you but it poses a question, how did men keep their hats on? I wore a cap for much of my working life mainly crammed on my head to keep it on. Look at the position of the gentleman's top hat and cap on the guards head, both look precarious/ very uncomfortable. Or maybe I just have a strange shaped head?

• Funny 1

Good to see a colourisation (West Cork) which is half-way realistic!

Most of the "colourisations" seen online are truly AWFUL, with just about everything in them a mawkish shade of grey or beige, even if in real life it was bright blue or red - but with nice green grass!

The above two are worth looking at - the people on the platform on the first loom realistic, but the carriage should be green. On the overhead station view above, I've seen several of CBSCR views online, most with grass and hedges looking as realistic as above, but often with the entire trackbed looking green too, as if the entire thing was covered in moss or grass. 

As to the colour of the trains - less said the better. I've seen one somewhere which has the vegetation accurately done, but the entire train shown centre stage remains in black and white, plus one somewhere in West Cork which had green vegetation, green trackbed, a station apparently a dull orangey-brown all over, and an AEC railcar with orange sides and a purple tint to the roof.

I was speaking to someone in Galway University a while back who was involved in a research project there to explore how this process can be seriously enhanced. He did a few images which had been taken on Achill Island (non-railway related) in 1913, and these are so accurate and good that you would think they were taken with an iPhone yesterday. But as he says, the off-the-shelf technology has a very long way to go before it is anything like accurate.

A.I. will doubtless assist in the near future. I have sent Galway Uni some glass plate images taken on my ancestors' family farm in Co. Offaly in the 1910-30 period to see what he can do with them.

For now, though, certainly as far as RAILWAY colours are concerned, such things are best avoided like a plague, as they are woefully inaccurate - and that's when they can even be made out. It seems that the technology has a habit of simply adding a slight tint of something broadly brownish to things in backgrounds, which makes them look a tired, nondescript "weathered" colour, as misleading as it is wrong.

The footbridge in the above pic is a perfect case in point. If the point of "colourising" a photo is to show colour, then what colour is that footbridge? It is a murky "something" colour; in other words, the software which purports to "colourise" it appears, for this type of thing, to be useless. It would have been better left B & W.

In the CBSCR pic, a man in a brown coat has a RED arm. A green carriage is brown on top, grey below.

I rest my case!

3 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

...................... Look at the position of the gentleman's top hat and cap on the guards head, both look precarious/ very uncomfortable. Or maybe I just have a strange shaped head?

Superb!

Very true.............

Edited by jhb171achill

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Good to see a colourisation (West Cork) which is half-way realistic!

Most of the "colourisations" seen online are truly AWFUL, with just about everything in them a mawkish shade of grey or beige, even if in real life it was bright blue or red - but with nice green grass!

The above two are worth looking at - the people on the platform on the first loom realistic, but the carriage should be green. On the overhead station view above, I've seen several of CBSCR views online, most with grass and hedges looking as realistic as above, but often with the entire trackbed looking green too, as if the entire thing was covered in moss or grass. 

As to the colour of the trains - less said the better. I've seen one somewhere which has the vegetation accurately done, but the entire train shown centre stage remains in black and white, plus one somewhere in West Cork which had green vegetation, green trackbed, a station apparently a dull orangey-brown all over, and an AEC railcar with orange sides and a purple tint to the roof.

I was speaking to someone in Galway University a while back who was involved in a research project there to explore how this process can be seriously enhanced. He did a few images which had been taken on Achill Island (non-railway related) in 1913, and these are so accurate and good that you would think they were taken with an iPhone yesterday. But as he says, the off-the-shelf technology has a very long way to go before it is anything like accurate.

A.I. will doubtless assist in the near future. I have sent Galway Uni some glass plate images taken on my ancestors' family farm in Co. Offaly in the 1910-30 period to see what he can do with them.

For now, though, certainly as far as RAILWAY colours are concerned, such things are best avoided like a plague, as they are woefully inaccurate - and that's when they can even be made out. It seems that the technology has a habit of simply adding a slight tint of something broadly brownish to things in backgrounds, which makes them look a tired, nondescript "weathered" colour, as misleading as it is wrong.

The footbridge in the above pic is a perfect case in point. If the point of "colourising" a photo is to show colour, then what colour is that footbridge? It is a murky "something" colour; in other words, the software which purports to "colourise" it appears, for this type of thing, to be useless. It would have been better left B & W.

In the CBSCR pic, a man in a brown coat has a RED arm. A green carriage is brown on top, grey below.

I rest my case!

Superb!

Very true.............

The point if colorising is not for precise colours. It is rather to spark the imagination of somone as to give them a better idea of what it was like if they werent there and see B/W photos much harder to understand. Some cheap colorising programmes are awful and make everything into browns and ocasional greens. My one does the odd very convincing one (typically if the sky is done correctly done). Ballast and platforms often come out with green simetimes but that be altered sometimes and the worst offender of all when looking at railway related colourisation's is loco's and Rolling stock which often looks completely wrong.

Screenshot_20210319-161222_Instagram.thumb.jpg.a49042e60f0e3a60f772d9706a31a03b.jpg

A good colourisation. No locomotive, beutiful sky and some might even mistake it as real colour photography at a glance. IMG_20200825_140757_568.thumb.jpg.38ef67e55334712543b5c841149f9ffc.jpg

When Colourisation goes bad. A bullied railcar wears orange like its 1985! The station looks dull, C class looks like a dirty silver C class when in that pic it should be green.

• Informative 1

Ahha!, I pick up your case!  The man with the brown coat could have a trim on his sleeves of a red materiel maybe leather? He does look a bit flash!  But the colourization does make the guard look a bit Indian/North African/ around the Med sort of person?

My eye can happily accept the nondescript footbridge as colour does tend to fade into the background with distance but a coach in the foreground which should be green shown as brown and grey? you got me there!

Did we ever meet on a WP. on a well known NG railway!     😎

PS. Colour has the potential too become a long running thread, like on another group I'm on

2 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Ahha!, I pick up your case!  The man with the brown coat could have a trim on his sleeves of a red materiel maybe leather? He does look a bit flash!  But the colourization does make the guard look a bit Indian/North African/ around the Med sort of person?

My eye can happily accept the nondescript footbridge as colour does tend to fade into the background with distance but a coach in the foreground which should be green shown as brown and grey? you got me there!

Did we ever meet on a WP. on a well known NG railway!     😎

PS. Colour has the potential too become a long running thread, like on another group I'm on

Might make a thread on it later. Its an interesting conversation and definitely has a huge future

Agreed but has the potential to become a bit of a subject for discord! We all have to realize that people see colour in different ways which affects their view/how they relate to it. Take Hornby BR loco green which many modelers rave over. For me its not quite right, too dark but not much. I polished quite a lot of that green but is my memory of near 60yrs ago correct? So I accept we could all be  right or wrong.

You guys keep posting these images and I'll keep enjoying them as your all much cleverer than me with this computery thingy.

• Funny 1