Rate this topic

rebelred

ztggph.jpg

ngozz8.jpg

2vcguaf.jpg

io2dyc.jpg

2dr6td3.jpg

68hlhw.jpg

With the missus & Kids away for the weekend I started this new project.After hunting down this Loco Shed for so long I didn't want to leave it gathering dust in a box so decided to do a modular layout & the plan is to wire it up so i can move the Loco's in & out of the shed using a 'shuttle' system. The tracks are just laid down loose so i know what type of points & curves i need.i also need more Ballast mat so i just have a few smaller pieces down loose to give me an idea. im not really sure what to do with the right hand side of the Loco shed where the '5th' road is, maybe a freight yard or put down a road instead of track??? any suggestions i'd welcome. My next step is finish the ballast & buy all the tracks/points that are needed then tackle the ditches.I plan to put a hut beside the Loco shed besides the 1st road going flush with the ditch & put a stone wall on the flat part of the ditch beside the hut. I want to do a concrete floor in the loco shed but was wondering what the best material to use for this effect? Also the 201 class Locos don't fit in to the shed whereas the 071/141/181 locos do so i'm gonna haft to raise the shed doh! as I said any sugestions, tips are very welcome, hope i'm doing it right!!! ::o

Edited by rebelred
spelling

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'd run track down the outside of the shed, just like you have done there. It would be usual to see a loco parked along side a shed in real life, again just like you've done there. Also, the extra track would be useful to have when shunting or moving locos around. You could always run something into it out of the way.

Looking at the pics, the 201's seem to fit fine under the shed as it is. If you intend to put a concrete floor in, I'd put the concrete between the tracks as opposed to putting the track on top of the concrete floor. That would keep the height down, and be more realistic too.

Really like the plan, for the concrete floor id use polyfilla and id also have a peco inspection pit on one or more roads . Polyfila could be used on top of regular track up to rail height. I like the idea of having a line outside of the shed and the shed really is an excellent focal point. Nice collection of 201's:tumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback guys, Better add Polyfilla to the shopping list!! inside the shed are extractor fans hanging from the ceiling & they are catching the 201's just where the roof grate is, a mm or so is all i'd need to raise it by, as i said the 071's fit perfectly underneath. Thanks lads.

Raise the edges of the building with balsa or plasticard would be the best way id say :)

What track code are you using?

You could make a foundation slab with the polyfilla large enough to be the floor and a peripheral foundation for the shed itself to raise it back to rail height. I suspect that this will provide enough clearance for the 201s. The slab foundation will look well with the face of the shed which appears to resemble concrete and the side which is brick could be painted as a plinth, disguised with brick plasticard, shielded with ballast along the side tapering from the shed to road 5, or weeds and 'scrubby plants'.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great idea. How easily does the roof come off MM Mk2 coaches?

Somebody suggested to me that the most cost effective way of putting passengers in coaches was to buy assorted packs of folks standing, but cut off their legs and glue them onto coach seats as most seated figures might not fit under tables, or between tables and seating. This was aside from the cost savings compared to buying seated passengers. Has anybody tried this? I'm hoping to repaint the fluorescent blue seating in our cravens and place passengers in them over the Christmas holidays. I'd rather not reinvent wheels if possible.

Honestly Noel, this coach rolled off the table & the roof came off (only damaged a bogie) so i took advantage but there are clips running along the length of coach so if you squeeze the roof along the sides the roof should lift & you might need to lift the roof above the gangways using a flat tool - id take off the gangways at the end first- they just pop out. The cravens are different, i want to do the same with mine.

My passengers are a mixture of Noch sitting people, half had no legs so they were easy to put in, the ones with the legs dont fit flush so put glue on their arses & top of their backs & that held them in place!

Somebody suggested to me that the most cost effective way of putting passengers in coaches was to buy assorted packs of folks standing, but cut off their legs and glue them onto coach seats as most seated figures might not fit under tables, or between tables and seating. This was aside from the cost savings compared to buying seated passengers. Has anybody tried this? I'm hoping to repaint the fluorescent blue seating in our cravens and place passengers in them over the Christmas holidays. I'd rather not reinvent wheels if possible.

http://www.irishscalemodeller.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1683&sid=1702e3b531917250bed2462acde27781

Anyone on here know anything about these, wrenneire wasto get back with info. !!!

Somebody did a great workbench thread on this very recently with pictures, maybe Glenderg? I'll look it up later if you don't find it first

EDIT: Nope, I misspoke it was Lima Mk IIIs, so not sure that it translates to Mk2s

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/3852-Separating-Lima-Body-from-Undercarriage

Edited by DiveController
UPDATE

You could make a foundation slab with the polyfilla large enough to be the floor and a peripheral foundation for the shed itself to raise it back to rail height. I suspect that this will provide enough clearance for the 201s. The slab foundation will look well with the face of the shed which appears to resemble concrete and the side which is brick could be painted as a plinth, disguised with brick plasticard, shielded with ballast along the side tapering from the shed to road 5, or weeds and 'scrubby plants'.

Do the 201s fit? 7078 looks great!

• 2 weeks later...