-
Posts
5,004 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
59
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Blogs
Everything posted by Galteemore
-
For black engines, yes it’s gold and red. For blue engines, I think it’s gold and black. I found these in Fox recently which look ballpark for black engines.
-
No, they didn’t work main line trains like that. That terminus was a bit like a US ‘Union terminal’ with trains of other companies being worked in.
-
One of the most famous pieces of SLNC rolling stock was coach 9, a regular on the 7:20 ‘mixed’. Although it wasn’t really a mixed - simply a passenger train which bolted on any empty wagons left at Enniskillen after the 2pm goods had gone. Already an obsolescence when built in the 20s, its quirkiness delighted enthusiasts, from the coupe at the front to the longitudinally divided first class smoker/non-smoker. So I had to build one, my first ever scratch bogie vehicle. Used an Alphagraphix card kit as a drawing, but body fabricated from plastic card, using David Jenkinson’s inner/outer skin methods. It’s a bit tricky as the large windows on each end don’t make for structural strength. Bogies are Slaters 8’, cut down to 7’6. I finished it in the greyish brown that SLNC stock tended to finish up in. Although 9 was spruced up towards the end, the painting was done by a wagon painter and the finish quickly deteriorated. I have done her as she appeared c 1955, before the final repaint. Bizarrely enough, I have dim memories of seeing one of these SLNC coaches, despite being born a decade and a half post closure. In a field near Dromahair a farmer had half of one as a shed. It was near the road and a regular sight until c1980 for me. As a child I also had a painting of Lissadell and her coach on my wall. Image courtesy @Irishswissernie. Those early memories really dictated how I should paint up my No 9. It’s far from perfect, and I’m not completely happy with it, but it’s better than the No 9 I didn’t have a month ago! Taking photos does help identify some of the remedial work I will undertake - in time! You will see that ‘Enniskillen’ has also recovered from her recent cosmetic surgery……resin rivet patches in, spot repainted black and weathering gloop applied. Also interesting to see how short No9 actually is compared to a 6w - probably a requirement for getting round those bends in the SLNC route! Connoisseurs did consider the trio of SLNC bogies to be rather shorter in length than was desirable. Coach 4, the little saloon, is in the pristine finish as she was in 1950. Interestingly, David Holman and I have both made 4 and 9, but reversed the finish - his 9 is immaculate and his 4 is worn! Of course, now I post the pictures I notice the buffer that’s crept round !
- 582 replies
-
- 12
-
-
-
Black livery was revised in 1934, giving way to first blue locos in 1936.
-
Indeed it would in that condition, which is her later state. Think she may have been green originally - and named. SGs are rather nice too.
-
UG is 5’1 drivers and a wheelbase of 15’ 7”. SG/SG3 had 5’1 drivers and wheelbase of 16’11”. E class is 5’ drivers and wheelbase of 15’. The E class are quite sweet little things
-
-
I suspect Ardee would also have been an early target for the GNRI bus service.
-
I have used cork before. I think that Chris Nevard’s DAS ballast would work well for the effect you want - gives that ash ballast look http://nevardmedia.blogspot.com/2011/08/creating-effect-of-ash-ballast.html?m=1
-
Could do, but points eat space. With your skills, you could easily build a traverser, or a turntable/sector plate. My next plan involves cassettes- this kind of idea …
-
Looking to form model railway club in the greater Athlone area (Midlands/West)
Galteemore replied to Garfield's topic in News
In woodwork and electrics -
Just bare black painted board…..should add that the layout is lit by a lighting rig from above so that also draws the eye in away from the edges. This may give an idea of what it consists of…
-
Here you go. Note how the holes are only as big as they need to be, and how the skyline is higher than the holes. This is an old Richard Chown dodge / a ‘hole’ in landscape strikes the eyes as less odd than a hole in the sky! The layout is built to be viewed side on so this area is designed to be within peripheral vision and not viewed full on like this!
-
Use a view block like a building at front of the layout - that will help disguise the transition. Here’s an old N gauge layout I built. You can see how the factory essentially distracts from the line exiting stage left The same principle was used on my 7mm layout - seen here under construction. The white building essentially disguises the brake van about to leave ….even a siding with a wagon strategically parked can work.
-
‘Beef this up a bit’….saw what you did there ! Great work and a nice classic Irish wagon added to the roster
-
The quarry Hunslet roots are very clear! Looking good.
-
Yes Tim Cramer, the guru of west Cork modelling, has a good friendship with Roger of Alphagraphix. I suspect his influence looms large in the catalogue!
-
The extended tank was very distinctive. IIRC the Cavan men loved the ‘wee Northerners’ and essentially worked the guts out of them. An intriguing ‘might have been’ had they lasted until GSR/CIE days. Would also be interesting to see how the NCC 2-4-2Ts would have acquitted themselves amongst the drumlins.
-
Brilliant stuff David. Really look forward to seeing this develop, not least because the way you record your work and thinking process helps instruct many others …..self included! Nice to see Arigna’s crossing cottage making an appearance too…
-
Fascinating stuff. The tram must have made one of the fastest transitions to safe preservation in history! I came across some fascinating photos of the SLNC - which closed essentially at the same time as Fintona - a year after closure in 58. Think the vandals were better behaved back then!
-
This image from @Irishswissernieis about as comprehensive as possible! You can see the ash ballast covering the sleepers so ‘Dick’ had an easier walk.
-
Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive
Galteemore replied to Glenderg's topic in Photos & Videos of the Prototype
Really interesting photos Ernie. Note how 84 is in ex shops blue, which still has that rich depth to it, unlike the more faded tender! This was just before the VS class arrived that summer. It’s also sat beside an old U still in black awaiting its blue. The UG (- photo on your Flickr today) must be brand new . -
That’s a very nice looking little loco. Ideal for a Belfast docks inspired micro layout.
-
Now that’s true class, having an 08 for daily transport…in all seriousness, I totally get the throwaway thing. How much of our economy is predicated on buying more stuff….I always find trips to the local waste/recycling centre sobering as you realise how quickly consumer goods end up becoming yet more garbage….
.png.c363cdf5c3fb7955cd92a55eb6dbbae0.png)