Jump to content

Galteemore

Members
  • Posts

    5,004
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    59

Everything posted by Galteemore

  1. That’s a nice job. Always good to have a solid foundation laid down, and to get that arduous grunt work out of the way !
  2. In fairness to Rice, too, one elderly Irish 0-6-0 can look much like another, especially with rebuilds, Z class boilers etc factored in. In some variations, there’s not a lot between a J15 and a J18/19, as seen below …..After all, how many of us can identify the various nuances of GWR panniers ?!
  3. That’s brilliant. Those Tangis screaming along the street are the sound track to much of my childhood. They were petrol rather than diesel, for obvious speed and acceleration purposes - goodness knows what the MPG was. Strictly speaking, of course, the RUC man should have his hands up by the shoulder gussets of the flak jacket, hooked on by the thumbs That’s how I always remember them standing ! A few years ago at work, a retired British soldier who’d served in NI heard my accent and said ‘who’s this then’ and demonstrated the pose …I got it instantly ! He was ex-Royal Military Police and found the default RUC stance most amusing.
  4. Not at all. Simply my elderly fingers mixing up ‘angry’ and ‘like’ on the iPhone…..sorry! I really liked the image of 142 - reminded me of the glory days of 80s CIE….
  5. Use something like 12v car leads, or choc block terminals
  6. Kirley has built one….https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93496-kirleys-workbench/page/13/#comment-2750461
  7. I’ve always admired mounted military bands who can play whilst riding a horse but if you can perform that whilst operating a layout and filming it…. that’s just another level
  8. Nice work Darius. Still remember the wonderful growling noise ours used to make!
  9. Lovely stuff Patrick. That early shot of it gliding to a halt at the platform is sublime! Good music too- I have come to associate Máire Ní Chathasaigh & Chris Newman’s version of ‘Lord Inchiquin’ with the SLNC as it was on a loop when I was finishing ‘Enniskillen’!
  10. Lovely model - look forward to seeing what you can do with one!
  11. Excellent stuff. I think @colmflanaganhas used one of these Adams Radial tanks before for a BCDR loco to great effect.
  12. Very nice little article here: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/europeantraction.com/2017/06/10/cie-e421-class-little-maybachs-in-ireland/amp/
  13. Hope all goes well Ernie. Brilliant stuff. The black U in your site is lovely too. Funny how old Us started black and ended blue, but other way round with new Us (some of them anyway!).
  14. Steve Rabone is a fine S scale modeller. Those pics are gems / this is the CIE I recall. What a wonderful railway it was - basically a steam age system with the only significant change being a diesel at the front. Barring that, this was a railway and way of operating that a Victorian railwayman could have recognised. At the age of 13 I couldn’t articulate that but I recognise it now!
  15. 7’ is what I have off Peter Halton’s 1996 drawing
  16. Excellent. That A just floats along
  17. That’s a lovely model too. Yes, I have the SLNC ‘wagon book’ from the IRRS too. That road vehicle one seems - logically enough - to have had ends that drop down over the buffers with fixed sides. 143 looks more like a ballast wagon, which would have fixed ends and dropping sides instead.
  18. That’s great Ken - looks most interesting and a very nice piece of work. Those uprights are very distinctive- the SLNC had some similar types of bracing- see wagons to left and right of 143.
  19. Great to see such a layout commemorated. My early realisation that Irish railways could be modelled came about the age of 6 when my dad took me to see Drew Donaldson’s system one day. And another day he took me to Fred Graham’s house where I saw clockwork blue GN locos with brown coaches. My Hornby class 37 just wasn’t the same after that! Glad that a few like you Colm had the wit to try and get the 4mm Irish scene going…
  20. Limerick-Foynes mixed
  21. That’s delightful. The composition of the farm buildings below the viaduct is spot on - so often a ‘farm’ is just three buildings placed on a flat piece of grass, looking more like a barracks! The varied heights and angles here ring true.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use