Jump to content

Galteemore

Members
  • Posts

    5,004
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    59

Everything posted by Galteemore

  1. Thanks for the explanation- sounds great !
  2. Any more details on the rolling stock please ?
  3. One of the simplest things you can do on a layout is light it. But the effect is immense - as seen here. Great work Patrick
  4. Dear old Bob Symes! I don’t actually disagree with you, John, but would be interested in further comment from you on what you say….
  5. Don’t rule it out at all. You can probably do more than you think. Look at typical instructions here: looks eminently doable…. And the pricing is very keen - amazing value. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0055/7855/5456/files/BMGW_GWR_Box_Vans.pdf?v=1619788802
  6. Spectacular US derailment just popped up on BBC….https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64063945
  7. When Guinness was delivered to the western part of Ireland by waterway, the barrels were overfilled by a biscuit tin sized quantity, different brands of biscuit per type of barrel. This was to account for what the bargemen would take in the normal manner of things, but avoid fiddling the end customer. On cold nights out in the canal, a hot poker was required in the bung hole to get the black liquidation flowing into the tins. Source is the travel writer the late Eric Newby.
  8. Not advertising as such, Andreas. But branded, yes. https://www.steamtrainsireland.com/rpsi-collection/52/504-guinness-grain-van
  9. Except if the livery is wrong, JHB…..
  10. Sad twist to the story Leslie. But the origin of Provincial Wagons is now clear !
  11. Mix of stuff for me - we had a range of stuff used to pass through our house for RPSI fundraising. I got to see all kinds of stuff - Hornby, Triang, Fleischmann , Lilliput. My favourite was Hornby Dublo. The detail was comparable with 70s Hornby but ran far better and was more robust. Various things followed including Japanese N and UK O - and finally Irish 5’3 7mm. What I think is important as we grow is discovering not so much what we like to model as how we do it. For years I thought it was about creating a stage to run as much rtr as you could. I really didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I was meant to, and as I know others really do. Then I discovered making my own stuff….the sheer joy of rolling a smooth brass chassis you’ve made takes you right back to the joy of battery trains on the carpet !
  12. Yes, it’s puzzling, given that so much of our journalism is so historically well informed ….sadly I fear that ignorance is expanding exponentially..
  13. There are 4mm modellers who do change the lamps believe it or not ! Whole thread on RM web about it…https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/174579-acceptable-standards-at-exhibitions/
  14. Lovely Leslie. Slieve Donard looks fabulous, although is the lamp code correct for a parcels train?
  15. As this thread points out, it’s not a particularly useful resource for modellers. These are not dimensioned drawings, and as a scratch builder I’d struggle to do much with them.
  16. Beautifully done Eoin. The deep joy of fiddling and fettling a metal engine - always worth it in the end. The ‘face’ of the loco is captured to perfection.
  17. Don’t worry Leslie -not emulating Chairman Mao…I’d originally thought about describing the day as a Stakhanovite one but thought that wasn’t appropriate either….the forum software actually auto-capitalised Great Leap Forward, which is more of a worry. I’d just meant it as a generic description, not a quote from the Little Red Book!
  18. I’m going to pause making out those range cards then. Left of arc - remains of W1 van - missing ducket. Right of arc - ventilated van….
  19. He may not be particularly well protected but he is at least remarkably well informed on the provenance of local henhouses. Not every mercenary force can offer that service
  20. In an unprecedented burst of effort, ‘Lurganboy’ has taken a Great Leap Forward. Much time has been spent fettling chassis and body to ensure that we get the 5’3 clearances right. In a tag team effort between soldering iron and angle grinder today, the boiler was assembled and trial fitted. Motor hole cut and inside of splashers ground out to allow the 36.75 axle width. Put the bones together and it all seems to fit ….much to do, but it’s been an encouraging day.
  21. That’s because I’m able to stay focused. Every time Lambegman sees a strange shed in a field he’s getting out the GN diagram book just in case it’s a carriage he hasn’t come across before.
  22. 28. Generally crossing houses were occupied by SLNC staff
  23. I am only sorry Drew didn’t live long enough to post on this forum…..it would have been quite bracing….. in the Gauge O Guild we have a ‘products directory’ which is a brilliant way to source bits and pieces….https://www.gaugeoguild.com/products/Products_search.aspx
  24. Fascinating (for me ) follow up to the Blacklion episode. I had a look at the White Fathers history site. Apparently the railbuses used to stop outside the college to allow students on and off. Checked the data with an SLNC crossing gates list and it checks out - no 7 gates staffed by Eddie Keaney. Another piece of useless information, so I’m quite happy….
  25. In my case, only on weekends and when mobilised…
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use