Jump to content

Westcorkrailway

Members
  • Posts

    2,596
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    25

Everything posted by Westcorkrailway

  1. If anyone is interested, I could do a small tour of west cork around that time. After all, it’s 65 years since its closure
  2. Some more from Colm’s collection Ulster transport stock Far from home some more rarely seen E 401 class action on the quays at cork. A lot of this track is still there but may not be in the medium term
  3. Did Peckett have multiple works greens? Again this is an assumption that the Peckett was never repainted by allmans, which Infairness is likely. considering the Peckett worked in GSR and CIE service, I think it easily would be a fine addition to the likes of the Jinty and the K class done throughout the years, even if the livery would stand out on a GSR/CIE layout
  4. compared with the hornby variants, cab seems higher/water tank lower. Alas, here is a mockup (assuming that it was still in pecket works livery when it was purchased) even so it would have never been as clean as this
  5. Did it stop at platform no.1 or did it go for a no.2
  6. if hornby ever did another run I wonder could they be convinced. After all, a pecket working for the Irish equivalent of BR is as interesting as it gets. Keep in mind really they only have to add a number plate, they already make various different tooling versions of the Peckett yes I think so, but it is a very good version of a GSR plate
  7. I happen to be sitting a 1 minute walk from where that works photo is now held! But yes, looks like a distorted version of one of those
  8. It ish frustrating as I can understand why photos were taken of these places. But for every 200 photos of Courtmacsherry branch there is 1 of the nearby Kinsale Branch!
  9. CBSCR No.3. At I assume Albert quay Bantry….and a strange looking loco!
  10. Allmans distillery was Whiskey Distillery in Bandon Town, located near the modern Day Mart, Many buildings still survive to this day. the company was very proud of its Railway connection to the C&BR the illustration below making sure to show it the line was finished in 1876, a track ran parallel from Bandon Station and diverged off cutting across the main cork-Bandon Road. Within the site there was a spur for the engine house, main yard, and later it appears a loco shed was built with its own spur. At first a CBSC loco was hired but in 1885 a manning wardle 0-4-0 was purchased from Contractors. It had built the Drimoleague-Bantry, Clara-Banagher and Clonakilty branches and was named “Bantry” during its line construction career. However in Bandon, it would be unofficially called by locals and railwaymen and “the allmans Coffee Pot”. The line was worked as a tramway, meaning a flag man had to be present. There was no runaround so wagons were pushed into the site and pulled out. In 1920 the company would acquire a new Loco to replace its aging Manning wardle with and 0-4-0 Peckett in 1920. The timing would prove unfortunate as the probation in the USA and Anglo Irish Trade wars Killed exports and the company would stop producing in 1925, the last bottles left the site by train in about 1929. Interestingly CSET were at one point pursuing purchase of the site for a sugar beet facility. Its rail connection and distance to the beet growing districts of cork certainly would have been ideal, however this never came to pass. id love to see a photo of 495 working in Bandon but none has ever come to my possession but the GSR, strapped for cash and needing young locomotives for its ageing fleet purchased 495. the loco wasn’t even repainted as evidenced above (look around the number plate) it did however get a cast number plate and a Bell and began work. It could travel on the tight curves on the lesser used branches of the Cork City Railway like the Corn Mills and the Quays. it was involved in a Fatal Collision in the 1940s on a freight transfer from Glanmire Road when it pinned a Horse and cart against the wall at Albert Quay it’s hard to Keep track of what locomotives were up to in Albert quay, as something withdrawn waiting for scrap one day is all of a sudden working the next 10 years the next day. But if I were to guess it was sent to inchicore, given a minor overhaul and worked for a small few years before being scrapped in Inchicore in 1949 https://flic.kr/p/2pwnTBo Interestingly as it’s being scrapped here in 1949. You can see after all these years, the original lined Green Peckett livery was STILL on it, and it had just been covered in grime for the last few years. https://flic.kr/p/2pwoK8Q
  11. Possibly, I understand the Cricket Club is the oldest sports team in Cork
  12. There could genuinely be that much muck on it all the same. My understanding is it was working hard during the coal shy years. Colm’s notes would have been handy! was also involved in a fatal collision on the Cork City Railway. There is a picture of it somehere…maybe it needed a paint after this?
  13. Shunting competition, Bandon 1896 The very short lived horse tram in Cork (3 years of operation!) Post card commissioned not long after Chetwynd Viaduct Opened, view from 1850s
  14. Yes…but a matter of finding them in my hoard more then anything!
  15. The curved high sided wagon was for cereal crops but went onto be used for anything I gather
  16. Depends on how micro. I’m thinking of places like dunkettle, Marino Point, Mallow Beet factory. Was there small sidings in rathpeacon that late? up the country…what was barrack street and Adelaide like around these times?
  17. These aren’t out yet I’m aware. And it’s a big thing to say. But these should be the best Irish RTR models ever made. I’ve never anticipated a model more in my albeit short life
  18. There is a picture of that crash somehere…hmm let me see if I can find it This would also be one of the older Irish railway Photos
  19. What do you mean “it works” like can I use it for the seige of toy Constantinople
  20. Yes 90 appears to have had many fictional liveries GSWR (current) GSWR black lined (potentially) GSR Grey CIE black (jury still out on this) Fermoy it had a fictional lined green It seems to have been painted at some stage in mallow as I’m not entirely sure it’s the same green it was then painted black by Westrail it went into a different fictional green again for inchicore 175
  21. 184 the day I visited whitehead a few months ago, boiler cladding being re-applied.
  22. Indeed that’s what I thought it was! super!
  23. this technically grounded body, I believe to have been scrapped a few months ago. Anybody know its origin and what it was used for?
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use