Warley 2013.

Rate this topic

Broithe

Enjoy it, wont be there for various reasons!!

Also the North Down MRS will be there with their GWR layout

I'll do my best - it sounds like it might be an ordeal. I've put it off for years, but I just can't pass up a free ticket.

Not sure whether to drive or take the train..

I'll do my best - it sounds like it might be an ordeal. I've put it off for years, but I just can't pass up a free ticket.

Not sure whether to drive or take the train..

Buying expedition = car.

Viewing expedition = train.

Car = freedom of arrival and departure, but car parks are pricey, on top of the ticket for those paying for a ticket.

Train = No motorway stress, especially in the wet, but price of train ticket to find, and you're governed by the train's timetable.

I'm still considering whether to go or not, but will probably take the car - just not sure if I can face the rucksacks, and the soap dodgers when we get there <- which was a paraphrasing of an opinion my wife expressed when I broached the subject with her :D

-Rob

Buying expedition = car.

Viewing expedition = train.

Car = freedom of arrival and departure, but car parks are pricey, on top of the ticket for those paying for a ticket.

Train = No motorway stress, especially in the wet, but price of train ticket to find, and you're governed by the train's timetable.

I'm still considering whether to go or not, but will probably take the car - just not sure if I can face the rucksacks, and the soap dodgers when we get there <- which was a paraphrasing of an opinion my wife expressed when I broached the subject with her :D

-Rob

Nail on head, particularly regarding personal hygiene :puke: The 2 previous years Ive exhibited there Ive stood on the roof of the restaurant to watch the flood in the door at 09.15 and 2 years later stood just close enough to the Bachmann stand to take in the spectacle of the bargain scrum - makes fat women at jumble sales look exceptionally tame.......

Nail on head, particularly regarding personal hygiene :puke: The 2 previous years Ive exhibited there Ive stood on the roof of the restaurant to watch the flood in the door at 09.15 and 2 years later stood just close enough to the Bachmann stand to take in the spectacle of the bargain scrum - makes fat women at jumble sales look exceptionally tame.......

Yep, a peg on the nose is a must. I've been to Glastonbury, living in a tent for a week and nobody there got near some of the great unwashed I saw (and smelt) in my only visit to Warley.

As for the Bachmann scrum, it's 10 times worse than Penneys January sales. I preferred Ally Pally, smaller show, Bachmann still sold off the bargains and it was a ten minute walk for me when I lived over there. Picking up Bachmann 20s for less than 30 quid was nice.

I am aiming for Sunday,coming from the flatlands of Lincolnshire means at least two change of train so will be in the car. Why does this hobby attract the great unwashed? Spalding was pretty noxious at times. So who will be clutching the rolled up newspaper with the flower between their teeth???? Just so as I know!

Fran what year did you attend Glasto. Never made it over there myself but it has definitely got to be the holy grail of festivals. I missed it not having taken place this year.

Rich,

Yep, a peg on the nose is a must. I've been to Glastonbury, living in a tent for a week and nobody there got near some of the great unwashed I saw (and smelt) in my only visit to Warley.

As for the Bachmann scrum, it's 10 times worse than Penneys January sales. I preferred Ally Pally, smaller show, Bachmann still sold off the bargains and it was a ten minute walk for me when I lived over there. Picking up Bachmann 20s for less than 30 quid was nice.

Anybody going? I hear that O'Connell Street will be there...

The IRRS (London Area) is Stand F16 where you will find a display of Irish models and sales of IRRS publications. Also a "Join Today" bargain rate, complete with free Journal and one of our booklets.

The 171 Appeal stand is next door - much the same guys, in truth. Provincial Wagons will be on sale off that stand, as will be lots of good books at excellent prices.

Even if you don't want to buy, come and say Hello!

Leslie

Reply quoting this post

MultiQuote

Edit

2004 Rich, great craic (from what I can remember). Wouldn't be rushing back though.

There were rumors a few years ago Fran that there might have been a Led Zeppelin reunion after the show in London in 2007. I'd have gone to that. I'll just have to make do with the new blu ray now. 2004, did Oasis and Paul McCartney headline that year. I think Muse did also.

Rich,

There were rumors a few years ago Fran that there might have been a Led Zeppelin reunion after the show in London in 2007. I'd have gone to that. I'll just have to make do with the new blu ray now. 2004, did Oasis and Paul McCartney headline that year. I think Muse did also.

Rich,

Yep you got it right Rich, lasted 10 mins at McCartney and then had to leave. Can't stand him personally. James Brown was the highlight for me, music-wise that was! ;)

Anyone going to Warley be sure to check out Liverpool Lime Street, spectacular layout.

Yep you got it right Rich, lasted 10 mins at McCartney and then had to leave. Can't stand him personally. James Brown was the highlight for me, music-wise that was! ;)

Anyone going to Warley be sure to check out Liverpool Lime Street, spectacular layout.

Did you check out the Stone Roses reunion gig Fran. More of a Lennon fan myself.

Rich,

[Anyone going to Warley be sure to check out Liverpool Lime Street, spectacular layout.

If anyone here does go to see Liverpool Lime Street layout, I'd be VERY, VERY grateful If the could e-mail me (franksavery@bigpond.com

copies of any photos the take :praying:

I'm a 'randy, scouse git' originally and I'd love to see any photos of the layout. 55 or so years ago, I spent half my life trainspotting at the end of the platform at Lime Street, a bottle of Tizer, a couple of Pork Pies, Hidden behind a luggage trolley and I was in heaven :bishopbrennan:

Did you check out the Stone Roses reunion gig Fran. More of a Lennon fan myself.

Rich,

I didn't really bother to be honest Rich. I like them and all and maybe 5 years ago I would've been excited about it but I think they just left it too long. Brown gets on my wick anyway.

The Beatles were just a boy band :P (big fan of Revolver)

I didn't really bother to be honest Rich. I like them and all and maybe 5 years ago I would've been excited about it but I think they just left it too long. Brown gets on my wick anyway.

The Beatles were just a boy band :P (big fan of Revolver)

To be honest Fran my Beatles collection starts at Rubber Soul. I'm less of a fan of the earlier years. I think they became more interested in pushing frontiers within the studio at this time as they had decided to stop playing live. I love Revolver myself as it was a new direction for them. George Harrison seemed to have more of a lead position when compared to earlier albums and it has the first real hint of the bands interest in Indian music.

Sgt Pepper wouldn't be my favorite album by the band but it did change things forever. It was the first album to be recorded in stereo. Everything had been mono before that. It was innovative and paved the way forward for lot's of bands. I personally think that Dark side of the moon by Pink Floyd is another ground breaking record. It was the first album by a band to use synthesized music, although in a primitive form. It was a game changer.

Outside of British or American music there have been some great bands from Germany that don't get any credit. Most people would probably name Kraftwerk, The Scorpions, or Propoganda as the bands they know from Germany. Berlin was a great city for music and many artists from around the world were influenced by it's style and some great records were recorded there. Music is so diverse and so is my own taste in it, but there are some styles I don't like. I saw James Brown in the Point myself in the 90's, what a night. There was so much condensation rising off the crowd on the floor that it fell like rain when it reached the roof.

Just as an aside shouldn't this thread be titled Warley 2012, back to trains.

Rich,

I think I'm going on Saturday..

Well, I didn't make it until today. The journey was entertaining, with diversions and floods, but we got there in the end. O'Connell Street was a revelation, even better than I was expecting. I picked up one of Lesley's Guinness wagons. We managed to see everything and it wasn't too crowded, but I'm totally knackered now - if I do it again, then I'll take a disability scooter and a white stick.

Well, I didn't make it until today. The journey was entertaining, with diversions and floods, but we got there in the end. O'Connell Street was a revelation, even better than I was expecting. I picked up one of Lesley's Guinness wagons. We managed to see everything and it wasn't too crowded, but I'm totally knackered now - if I do it again, then I'll take a disability scooter and a white stick.

Please tell me you took your camera this time