Hornby 1:76 containers

Rate this topic

murphaph

12 hours ago, popeye said:

I bought a set and never knew that.

Don't know why they don't tell people that they have opening doors.

11 hours ago, murphaph said:

Whaaat? The doors open?! Never even attempted to open them. Would have never crossed my mind to try. Good find!

lol i only found them by pure chance as well as i am moving the layout at the moment and just caught the line in the plastic with my eye as i was setting them back up. I actually bought some earlier in the week. but im planning on buying some more now.

4 hours ago, murphaph said:

When did the 47s come into service? Wondering will I need any for a 1995 layout.

The 47'6" wagons were introduced exclusively for keg traffic in 1978, beer traffic from Kilkenny and cider from Clonmel were important sources of keg traffic on the Waterford Line until the ending of Liner/Keg Traffic on the Waterford line in the mid 2000s. The cider traffic was transported by road between Clonmel and Kilkenny

• Like 1

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Cheers John! At what point did containers start being transported on them?

I think some were converted for use on the Norfolk liner in the early 2000s.. IRRS journal  for June 2000 mentions 22 being allocated so would take this as a start date.. 

• Informative 1

22 hours ago, MOGUL said:

I think some were converted for use on the Norfolk liner in the early 2000s.. IRRS journal  for June 2000 mentions 22 being allocated so would take this as a start date.. 

Thanks very much MOGUL. That means if a certain company releases 47s I will only be able to use them for keg traffic but that's just fine as I can free up some my keg P42s for use under containers. It does mean I won't be going mad on 47s though as I can only use them for kegs in 1995 it seems.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, popeye said:

I bought a pair of Dapol Malcolm Logistics 45s and was wondering if they were ever used here on Irish liner trains?

I would confidently say never, nice livery though.. U.K. to Scotland only 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

3 hours ago, MOGUL said:

I would confidently say never, nice livery though.. U.K. to Scotland only 

The more unto date livery on the Malcolm's , mostly Grangemouth to Daventry / or Drift , some run to Aberdeen as well.

Regards Arran

image.thumb.jpeg.46f1b104d7d1e73fafc42a698ed976ca.jpeg

• Informative 2

14 hours ago, Arran said:

The more unto date livery on the Malcolm's , mostly Grangemouth to Daventry / or Drift , some run to Aberdeen as well.

Regards Arran

image.thumb.jpeg.46f1b104d7d1e73fafc42a698ed976ca.jpeg

You see them more than us Arran.. Dapol did that Argos box as a two pack with a co-op livery also, I bought a pack but again would be U.K. only.. Having said that I have seen Tesco less c02 containers in Dublin port, so models law applies! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MOGUL said:

You see them more than us Arran.. Dapol did that Argos box as a two pack with a co-op livery also, I bought a pack but again would be U.K. only.. Having said that I have seen Tesco less c02 containers in Dublin port, so models law applies! 

You get ASDA as well and Those ones are 8'9" more for the Aberdeen leg .  you can see these in odd places 

image.thumb.jpeg.38228e79241256452327191d3d550a9b.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone looking for some containers suitable for 2020s railway ops, Dapol have another run of P&O 45fts that are in stock in Hattons.. We run 4-6 of these units to/from Ballina a week.. 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/526512/dapol_4f_028_015_pack_of_two_45_hi_cube_containers_p_o_ferry_/stockdetail

https://www.hattons.co.uk/526516/dapol_4f_028_016_pack_of_two_45_hi_cube_containers_p_o_ferry_weathered/stockdetail

They also have some of the old Style MOL(Mitsui) containers suitable for 80s/90s and some Maersk 40fts in stock for less than the cost of Hornby containers 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/351764/dapol_4f_028_103_pair_of_40_foot_containers_mitsui_lines_weathered/stockdetail

https://www.hattons.co.uk/220220/dapol_4f_028_100_pack_of_two_40_foot_containers_maersk_mrku_and_msku/stockdetail

Edited by MOGUL
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

I'd say the same for the likes of unit 45 or that though.

I think we don't expect to see them because they are so new that when we do they seem a bit out of place.

I actually decided that containers don't need to be prototypical on the layout I have as

a. I've only ever really seen container movements in videos

b. I don't really have an in-depth enough knowledge to know exactly what would work, I do aim for companies that have moved stuff in Ireland though to keep it plausible.

C. Rule 1 applies. It will add variety to the layout and I currently have more containers than flats so I can chop and change as I please.

Sometimes I just buy containers as memento for example the ever green one reminds me forever about that time they decided to Austin Powers  the Suez canal.

It's hard to put a prototypical liner together as not all containers are available, there will always be ones you will never get.

And new containers will be added to trains over the years.

I try to buy containers I want as they become available.

I've started buying 45's even though there are no wagons to put them on, YET. :praying:

HI All

Samskip were Geest the Banana people who patented the angled pillars at the non door end so you could fit the 45ft container in the maximum turning circle .

The Oxford offering is a TESCO 45ft curtain sided container at 8'6" high but ive never seen one in samskip livery .

Regards Arran

• Informative 2

18 hours ago, Arran said:

HI All

Samskip were Geest the Banana people who patented the angled pillars at the non door end so you could fit the 45ft container in the maximum turning circle .

The Oxford offering is a TESCO 45ft curtain sided container at 8'6" high but ive never seen one in samskip livery .

Regards Arran

I think Samskip bought Geest, but also Seawheel(who's boxes have been discussed at length on her, Limerick to Waterford baby food) but Samkip are around a long time, they started with the Iceland/Nordics services and grew from there..

You would know better than me Arran, but are the Tesco units not 8'9" rather than 8'6, I remember reading that they were a lower height so they could be routed via the Settle and Carlisle when the WCML is closed..

• Informative 1