Will we see more 071 / 141/ 181 from Murphy models?

Rate this topic

Sean

On 11/3/2022 at 5:21 PM, connollystn said:

Don't see the point to producing models which are full of 15 year old technology. As BosKonay has stated, the volume of Irish modellers has grown and the last thing they want to be buying is 'new' antiques.

If the originals were re-released at say €215ea I’d bet they’d sell about 5000 models. Prob need to be limited to a few liveries such as IR/IE no B&T nor supertrain. Target the new younger crop of modellers. It’s fun speculating about fantasy. :) :)  Personally I’d like IRM C class and IRM B101 class, and (choke) yes and IRM 22k 5 car set. 🥸

• Thanks 1

Just been running the "A" together with some 121's, 141/181's, 071's and some 201's and they all look very well together. The "A"'s being the new kids on the block but to my eyes the others hold their own with the "A" class locos. Fair enough the "A" class have rotating axle box covers while the others don't. Only for the fact I new about the rotating axles boxes before buying the "A" class locos I probably would not have noticed them. So rotating axles boxes are not a deal breaker for me. The "A" do not have sprung buffers whereas the others do. Unless you touch the buffers on the Murphy's you would not know that they were spring loaded so again this feature is not a deal breaker for me. None of the locos have opening doors which does not bother me or it would not be a factor in making a decision to purchase a particular loco. As you can guess I am happy with the   141/181 locos as is. I'd like to say that if more were released I'd buy some but taking into account how things are I cannot say that. Any loco produced from now on will cost a lot more due to transport charges on their own let alone the cost of materials and getting a slot in Chinese factories.  The price of a loco is a fair chunk of the household budget and as costs rise it will be an even bigger chunk of it in the future. I would be very surprised if any manufacturer will be able to stand by projected prices for future releases.

Anyway to cut it short I am as happy with the 141/181 class as I am with more recent stuff.

• Like 1

I stand corrected on the "A" class and the sprung buffers. I just checked but you really have to push them to get them to move. Must be a very tight fit but like I say not a deal breaker for me. Likewise the speakers and lighting package would not be high my list. 

We have high quality RTR locos of:

• 141/181
  • A

From the 1970s model train perspective we are now living in a virtual Utopia. Back then just the Hornby Hymek horror show and the Lima supersonic BR Class 33 tractor masquerading as a CIE 215 A class. Just Lima BR mk1 coaches in B&T Livery. Then came along St Patrick, followed 20 years later by Stephen, Fran, Patrick and Richard of Antioch. Not forgetting important players along the way such as MIR, IFM, SF, SSM, PW, D&M, CD and OO Works. We are very fortunate to have a rich abundance of genuine Irish Model trains.

It's not that long ago that this was all we had.

DSC_6875.jpg

The Lima tractor that ran at a scale speed of 200mph but in 1975 it seemed amazing to have anything in Tan livery. Bought from W J Owens in Bray circa 1975.

IMG_4756.jpg

A content train modeller saved perhaps by accidentally visiting Malahide Castle in 2008 and seeing an MM Baby GM on display no 182 and nearly fell of my seat in disbelief.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Then came along St Patrick, followed 20 years later by Stephen, Fran, Patrick and Richard of Antioch.

Not to forget Eugen, Gareth and now Paul, Steve, Tim, and Vitaly who have joined our production team and have worked on and/or are now working on lots of exciting IRM projects. And that's not to mention our admin and warranty crew. We've grown quite the team as we have grown over the last two years in particular, with a wealth of expertise to make us better than ever now on board. Those guys are the heroes of IRM, I merely communicate the news on their behalf and let them do what they do best (and mess around with the odd bus for my sins)

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

On 11/3/2022 at 3:30 PM, BosKonay said:

I think the volume of Irish modelers has grown and that the days of a €300 model are still some distance away unless you are making a really really small limited run of something. 

We've seen that elsewhere already with Irish models and not in a positive way. Vanishing deposits and questionable 'hand built' quality anyone?

Edited by Blaine
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 7 months later...

Well there you are - Stranger Things Have Happened

The price will be higher, but less than what they are going for now

Same moulding which is a testament to how good the first ones really where (are).

Buy some now and dont be 'ah shur Ill get them again/later' as the production batches will be small

Plenty of pre-warning too!!

• Like 3

The original versions are plenty adequate. The only issue was the Lack of a speaker which is almost resolved now! I don’t even model the eras but if a 201, 071 were to be released, I’d take em. That theoretical mad Black and Tan 071 would have take the cake or points logo. With the 201 in silver/green along with that mark 4 set is the era which I have the nostalgic connection too (that might sound mad but the first time i used a train was in 2007!) Leave MM with the GM locos and IRM with everything else….for now! 

36 minutes ago, Blaine said:

Well there you are - Stranger Things Have Happened

The price will be higher, but less than what they are going for now

Same moulding which is a testament to how good the first ones really where (are).

Buy some now and dont be 'ah shur Ill get them again/later' as the production batches will be small

Plenty of pre-warning too!!

We were reminded everyday that the A’s were coming and “once the’re gone, there gone!” and still some did not heed the warning 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

The original versions are plenty adequate. The only issue was the Lack of a speaker which is almost resolved now! I don’t even model the eras but if a 201, 071 were to be released, I’d take em. That theoretical mad Black and Tan 071 would have take the cake or points logo. With the 201 in silver/green along with that mark 4 set is the era which I have the nostalgic connection too (that might sound mad but the first time i used a train was in 2007!) Leave MM with the GM locos and IRM with everything else….for now! 

We were reminded everyday that the A’s were coming and “once the’re gone, there gone!” and still some did not heed the warning 

Or retro 071 with the modern green & orange logo... 😁

• Funny 3

• 2 months later...