3D printing Locomotives

Rate this topic

Westcorkrailway

I wanted to start a thread (not sure if one had been done) in the same vein as “British to Irish conversion” thread. But for stuff where a Body could be 3D printed and out on top of a pre existing Chassis 

At the moment number 90 which is build around this principle of using the old Hornby terrier chassis has sold over 100 Units or something like that 

now being in the area that I am I was theorising some EX GSWR West Cork locos to do 

AABD7032-BD22-41E2-9DBC-726711F924F2.jpeg.8709429a1fda845e9cf0076e2005600c.jpeg

from a generic 0-6-0 chassis of some kind 

9FD3286B-C56F-4A04-80AA-C224BB9DCE72.jpeg.486733f7e5526caf24d45ff9d21ac31d.jpeg

from an LNYR 2-4-2

6C1B4810-A85C-4571-895D-557EF431FBB2.jpeg.55acc642e6552d8cac9daf549c63285d.jpeg

from an Adams radial with the outside cylinders chopped off 

444500DE-DA32-424D-8EE0-6855724F2FFD.jpeg.95a730daf07d65a9ba7c3fae625e36a2.jpeg
08 shunter chassis….these are repainted by silverfox but not a fully authentic shell

So I’m making this thread, I hope to help or inspire  those who are 3d printing to try and make attempts of Irish steam era stuff, as that era is starting to become more attractive

and Of course, as you come up with ideas add them below 

• Like 6

I don't think I am giving too much away to say that I am currently tipping away at something for the Bachmann Collett goods chassis (Dean goods chassis would be better as it wont need remotoring but I had the Collett bought before I realised they were the same wheelbase/dia) but Ive started so I'll finish, watch this space

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Killian Keane said:

I don't think I am giving too much away to say that I am currently tipping away at something for the Bachmann Collett goods chassis (Dean goods chassis would be better as it wont need remotoring but I had the Collett bought before I realised they were the same wheelbase/dia) but Ive started so I'll finish, watch this space

Hopefully another example of how this technology can be used 

25 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Not 3d printed but a cheap Hornby hack to get a J 10 ish!  Started as a J69 and went from there not spot on but captures the feel of a J10, sorry about the background clutter.

Mick Irish Tank Engine.jpg

It most certainly does! I need to do one of these myself but as. Said. Possible 3D print project. Make sure to number it 201. The only one of these locomotives that wore black 

1 minute ago, scahalane said:

I'm planning on doing a print of No.36 for my Kent Station layout. It won't be motorized, more for display but I'll let you know how I get on.

30.jpg

Very nice. And I must say that kent layout is savage as it stands right now 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

No hope for you at all!

That said, it is 201 which I have a photo of crossing the River Lee (one of Lance King's), NOT 207 (it's an age thing!).

Most important in the photo is the corrugated Bulleid behind the loco, which Mike may already have in his rolling stock fleet?

Bulleid wagons, GSR opens,  any old vans from GSWR to modern CIE ones…and of course flat wagons if your making a car trains (some of which were GNR in origin 👀) and yes after hearing that I had a massive facepalm having past your GNR flats at raheeny and not purchased em 😁

what you need in terms of loco stock for west cork running (well bantry anyway) is 

bandon tank 

at lest 2 C class locos 

An AEC railcar 

GSWR F6, J10 and the other 4-4-2 loco with the box ivatt cab 

the CBSC tank from 00 works (aka J24) 

Of course I’d you apply some imagination as I would, you could add 

An A class (went there at least once )

a 121 

maybe one or two Black and Tan things (some coaches were painted Black and Tan in Rocksavage works) 

WLWR 4-4-2s if you can make one 

A midland J26

an E401 class (trialed on the courtmac line)

Molaga, argideen no.90 and 100 (no idea why they would be there)

A Baldwin (lol)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

maybe one or two Black and Tan things (some coaches were  painted Black and Tan in Rocksavage works

Sure about that?

The so-called “works” was nothing but a siding under a bridge.

The old carriage shed was virtually derelict (what was left of it) before the line closed - and the Black and Tan livery didn’t exist when it closed.

If such a repaint did happen, it’s going to be on a derelict siding under a bridge in a freight yard after it’s main line has closed.

Possible, but why not do it in Glanmire, where there were better facilities?

11 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Sure about that?

The old carriage shed was virtually derelict (what was left of it) before the line closed - and the Black and Tan livery didn’t exist when it closed.

If such a repaint did happen, it’s going to be on a derelict siding under a bridge in a freight yard after it’s main line has closed.

Upon closer reading, Colm Creedon found that 3 Coaches and a Tin Van were painted there on the 14th of January 1963. As for why they were being painted there I don’t know, it might necessitate diving into the archive of his work to find an awnser. At least until the end of January 1963 the works was still in use 

3 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Upon closer reading, Colm Creedon found that 3 Coaches and a Tin Van were painted there on the 14th of January 1963. As for why they were being painted there I don’t know, it might necessitate diving into the archive of his work to find an awnser. At least until the end of January 1963 the works was still in use 

Interesting.....painting a coach under a bridge! Only in Ireland.............! Apart from anything else, given that date, these would have been amongst the very earliest things painted in that liver which was only very new then......

22 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Sure about that?

Rocksavage Works was on the West side of the running line 'the siding under a bridge" was used as a loco depot.

The Works appears to have been in two parts the 3 road Carriage and Wagons Shops or "old carriage shed" parallel with the running line and the Loco Works at right angles to the carriage shops, reached by a turntable with a separate lead from the Cork City Railway. 

The Carriage and Wagon Shops/Carriage Shed appears to be reasonably intact into the late 1950s https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishrailwayarchive/52251463031/in/album-72177720300931532/

The Works appears to have been used for carriage and wagon repair up to closure, there is a late 1950s Walther McGrath  photo of wagons undergoing running repairs outside the shops while No90 shunts wagons on the main line.

Its possible the re-paint took place inside the Carriage Shed or even on one of the several sidings under the Hibernian Road Bridge, the bridge was effectively used as a loco shed after the original running shed was demolished to make way for the Cork City Railway.  Rocksavage may have been used for the repaint if works staff were still on the payroll or Glanmire may have been busy with other work.

Inchacore had a fairly primitive spray shop until replaced by a modern shop during the 1990s

scan0008.thumb.jpg.794e595dfe15e130063507809a6e0589.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

12 hours ago, Horsetan said:

I think someone on the Forum did try one, and found it wasn't very good......

I bought one of his models, the Clayton Railcar, which was produced by Shapeways  - in fairness, his designs are good but seriously let down by the printing & material used.

It took a huge amount of work to bring it to any reasonable standard, whilst applying the 2' rule.  The finish is very rough, and the more sanding you do the greater the chance of losing detail, so it's a bit of a compromise.

573321832_ClaytonRailcarModel1.1.thumb.jpg.bb70b9aac22c8b39b3981ccbcbe90f41.jpg

Close up of the finish.

1562750623_ClaytonRailcarModel1.4.thumb.jpg.b7808b694901aa07bb04119a732ad397.jpg

View from a more respectful distance!!

Ken

• Like 7

looking at your closeup photo you did very well to get the finish you have. A zoom in and the printing looks like "measles" ! Much as I would like one I am glad I gave it a miss. I wonder if Simon Dawson can get his models resin printed?

Hope your health and strength is getting back to normal Ken.

9 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

It is sad that Shapeways has lost its way or made it hard for designers to upgrade. Check out Lenny`s work at Lincoln loco  https://lincoln-loco.co.uk/   to see what can be achieved and this on a home printer system albeit a good one.  

Robert 

Shapeway designers have the option of offering models in a variety of materials, but few model railway designers select the resin print option possibly because to the high cost.

I priced a few examples and the resin prints work out roughly 2½ times more expensive than their default White Versitile Plastic material (pebble dash finish) 

• Informative 3

I must say I’m not a fan of the often VERY crude Shapeways stuff. Often looks like pebbledash, as others have pointed out, and window frames make the thing look as if the walls are as thick as a Norman castle…. Much of the detail is cruder than a three-year-old’s toy…..

But; each to their own - and in many cases it’s better than nothing, plus (as others again point out) there are alternatives.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Mayner said:

Shapeway designers have the option of offering models in a variety of materials, but few model railway designers select the resin print option possibly because to the high cost.

I priced a few examples and the resin prints work out roughly 2½ times more expensive than their default White Versitile Plastic material (pebble dash finish) 

When did Shapeways start offering a resin print option? as one of their designers I must say Ive never been aware of it, granted I haven't been paying attention to them over the past year or two really due to the ludicrous pricing obliterating any profit margins to be had

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Killian Keane said:

When did Shapeways start offering a resin print option? as one of their designers I must say Ive never been aware of it, granted I haven't been paying attention to them over the past year or two really due to the ludicrous pricing obliterating any profit margins to be had

The Shapeways resin option appears to have been first offered 1-2 years ago. Accura Xtreme 200 appears to be the most suitable for small scale models.

https://www.shapeways.com/materials/sla-accura-xtreme-200

• Informative 1

On 15/12/2022 at 11:52 PM, jhb171achill said:

The sidings under the bridge, the “loco depot”, would have been empty of locos by 1963, so possible….

On 15/12/2022 at 11:46 PM, Mayner said:

Rocksavage Works was on the West side of the running line 'the siding under a bridge" was used as a loco depot.

The Works appears to have been in two parts the 3 road Carriage and Wagons Shops or "old carriage shed" parallel with the running line and the Loco Works at right angles to the carriage shops, reached by a turntable with a separate lead from the Cork City Railway. 

The Carriage and Wagon Shops/Carriage Shed appears to be reasonably intact into the late 1950s https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishrailwayarchive/52251463031/in/album-72177720300931532/

The Works appears to have been used for carriage and wagon repair up to closure, there is a late 1950s Walther McGrath  photo of wagons undergoing running repairs outside the shops while No90 shunts wagons on the main line.

Its possible the re-paint took place inside the Carriage Shed or even on one of the several sidings under the Hibernian Road Bridge, the bridge was effectively used as a loco shed after the original running shed was demolished to make way for the Cork City Railway.  Rocksavage may have been used for the repaint if works staff were still on the payroll or Glanmire may have been busy with other work.

Inchacore had a fairly primitive spray shop until replaced by a modern shop during the 1990s

scan0008.thumb.jpg.794e595dfe15e130063507809a6e0589.jpg

Hi, This is a photo of the old wagon spray that was situated at the rear of the lifting shop, wagons were last sprayed here around the early/ mid 1980's, as the wagon spray was moved to a vacant building further up the works. There were never any carriages sprayed here, the main railway paint shop was situated further to the left of this scene. The paint shop was completely refurbished, including installing a modern spray booth in 1998/99, and during the refurbishment period, any carriages in for repaint were hand painted in the carriage shop,  the painting of locos were cancelled during this period too.

There is a photograph in the book, Irish Railway Rambler ' of the old paint shop/ dungeon on page 21. Dungeon being the appropriate word to describe the old paint shop in comparison to the then new modern paint spray facility as it is  called. Also, for anyone interested,  B113 in the photo  was given a cosmetic paint job for the Inchicore works 150th anniversary open day, and was later stored in this shed along with a rapidly and sadly deteriorating old AEC railcar.

Paul......

• Like 2