Audit of Irish model railway options

Rate this topic

David Holman

Reading recent posts, I am often surprised at what is out there if you look hard enough. Most know about the rtr, but knowledge of kits and components seems a bit of a dark art beyond the obvious suppliers like Alphagraphix, Provincial Wagons and so on. Then we have Worsley Works - a vast portfolio, but (for obvious reasons) not always available and similarly the likes of Shapeways, who will print whatever you might have, for a fee.

It points to a sort of Wikipedia of models, because no individual could possibly create, let alone maintain such a resource. However, could our esteemed Moderators set up a section on this forum, for the rest of us to contribute what we know and use? Maybe it would need separate sections for each scale, or maybe all that is needed is for folk to supply website and email contacts?

Could be a very useful reference, methinks.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Down the bottom of the IRM website there is a MANUFACTURER’S section. I think really what we’re asking for is this to be expanded to every type of manufacturer 

Exactly what I was thinking about and great to see.

Thank you!

Suggest that when we find something, it is posted there. A 7mm scale PP kit from Studioscale - never knew that till now!

• 3 weeks later...

Could it also include anyone who produces Irish theme building kits sure we have a few such as Alphagraphix, but what I find frustrating is that the Irish shop front or an Irish building look which does not alway transfer from a UK based building model. 

This is a photo from Derry I found on the Interwebby has lots of modelling characteristics  

image.thumb.jpeg.5d851b22ce1b2a6d55b57a2c291defb0.jpeg

• Like 5