Loughan Quay

Rate this topic

Tullygrainey

2 hours ago, Tullygrainey said:

It is. Current batch. Delivered new this morning.

Would love to see the loco, but I can't open your video for some reason. What are your thoughts on the model - build quality, running etc.? Any chance you could stick up a few photos on this thread please?

Certainly FS, here we are, fresh out of the box

IMG_7676.thumb.jpeg.65c4f1a25097459e6e19448aac6c80dd.jpeg

IMG_7683.thumb.jpeg.2532857bf519d9a29cc22dfa359499d9.jpeg

IMG_7682.thumb.jpeg.4b2d7e461d6f6b64afb3254996c6d477.jpeg

IMG_7681.thumb.jpeg.cb4d58a0f822a7ebd69688f103793d67.jpeg

IMG_7684.thumb.jpeg.f38d5fd4dee87c6d92a40fcc347af2f6.jpeg

So far, I’m impressed with the build quality and finish. For a handmade model, it’s pretty remarkable. My example ran smoothly out of the box and once I’d taken a bit more care seating it properly on the track, it negotiated all the short radius points on Loughan Quay with a minimum of fuss. 

I think I’m going to have to build a layout for it. Or get Patrick Davey to invent a scenario which explains a J15 in BCDR territory. I have every confidence in him😄

Alan

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1
  • Funny 1

Answering two of the above posts -

Bob,they were VERY OCCASIONALLY as clean as that - vide:

DC24Youghal193onturntablecopy.thumb.jpeg.7c6887131a2ffc865f691c2c34585b8f.jpeg

The St Pat's day tour to Youghal in 1962.

Yes, Mr G'More, ex-DSER No.430 (2-4-2T) was loaned to the BCDR from July 1941 to October 1945 for £15 a week. Source: McMahon and Clements, to whom thanks!

• Like 5

The A Class is beautiful and such a smooth runner. It just drifts along with no apparent means of propulsion. A revelation for me, weaned on hacked Hornby Pugs and cobbled together little 0-4-0s lurching and stalling over the points.  I begin to see why there’s such enthusiasm for these models.

Interesting how 146 looks black in your photos Patrick. It’s definitely grey. I checked. 

Edited by Tullygrainey
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, StevieB said:

I didn’t realise they were available now. I hadcthe idea that we were looking much later this year. I must get my order in. Looks stunning by the way.

Stephen

Stephen, Don't hang about - I get the impression that most of the run has been spoken for.

I woke up just in time to order No.186 IN BLACK with a BIG tender. I've been told to expect it in September - I think that that is partly that I'm a bit late ordering and also he's working through the variants?

• Informative 1

5 hours ago, Tullygrainey said:

So far, I’m impressed with the build quality and finish. For a handmade model, it’s pretty remarkable. My example ran smoothly out of the box and once I’d taken a bit more care seating it properly on the track, it negotiated all the short radius points on Loughan Quay with a minimum of fuss. 

I think I’m going to have to build a layout for it. Or get Patrick Davey to invent a scenario which explains a J15 in BCDR territory. I have every confidence in him😄

Alan

Thats a very handsome looking model indeed, I hope it serves you well. I may get a move on and put in an order ...

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Tullygrainey said:

IMG_7676.thumb.jpeg.65c4f1a25097459e6e19448aac6c80dd.jpeg

IMG_7683.thumb.jpeg.2532857bf519d9a29cc22dfa359499d9.jpeg

IMG_7682.thumb.jpeg.4b2d7e461d6f6b64afb3254996c6d477.jpeg

IMG_7681.thumb.jpeg.cb4d58a0f822a7ebd69688f103793d67.jpeg

IMG_7684.thumb.jpeg.f38d5fd4dee87c6d92a40fcc347af2f6.jpeg

Alan

Apparently York Road 'borrowed' 186 for works/station pilot duties after she first 'went North" during the 1960s. Loco crews who were apparently impressed by the J15s power and sure-footedness and wanted to hold on to 186 as a shunting loco.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed the great pleasure of another visit to Loughan Quay this morning, where I met Alan’s incredible BCDR No. 29 scratch build for the first time, folks this model really has to be seen to be believed, none of the attached photographs really do it justice!  I am also very grateful to the BCDR management at the quay who arranged for three of their locomotives to line up for a photo shoot 😂

Very special thanks also to Alan, who cleaned the remains of the chinchillas out of my A46 diesel!

7E4DD15C-AF56-47C5-BC17-BABB652590D4.jpeg

6541777D-0FDC-4F67-B382-3CE1F5B662F1.jpeg

88EB0A21-0C61-4AE7-A1F1-FF7A9997C592.jpeg

BCEA9ADB-A6BB-4165-83C4-014803EAE459.jpeg

DC4F2AC7-2FB9-4B2A-8936-CADF38F55CEF.jpeg

• Like 10
  • WOW! 4

• 4 months later...

Not long ago on a visit to Brookhall Mill, I heard that a little while back (actually one afternoon in 1944) Mr Weaver was away from the mill. Now it strikes me that Mr Weaver is not the type of man to leave his domain without a very good reason; even if he is ensuring the safe delivery of a shipment of linen. After making some enquiries I discovered that the local newspaper, the Brookhall Daily, was also on the case. They had sent their top photographer to record the event, this being a visit to Loughan Quay.

The photographs he brought back were stunning. How could a small industrial quayside layout look so wonderful. One had to investigate.

This brought me here to Loughan Quay, Such a fabulous layout. A track plan with so many shunting opportunities set within a very tight and coherent industrial setting. At least five or six individual industrial and railway scenes, all so beautifully detailed. Brilliant use of view blockers and half relief buildings. I like the fact that all the buildings have a purpose and look as if they have developed over time. This is enhanced by the multitude of roof profiles, the consistent colour palette used on the stonework and the weathering. The tight confines of the walls, roads, alleyways, railway and quayside mean that there are so many viewing angles all within the theatre of a cameo layout.

The locos and stock are also fabulous!

Thank you for sharing and Merry Christmas to all at Loughan Quay @Tullygrainey and to Mr. Weaver @Patrick Davey.

Tim

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, TimO said:

Not long ago on a visit to Brookhall Mill, I heard that a little while back (actually one afternoon in 1944) Mr Weaver was away from the mill. Now it strikes me that Mr Weaver is not the type of man to leave his domain without a very good reason; even if he is ensuring the safe delivery of a shipment of linen. After making some enquiries I discovered that the local newspaper, the Brookhall Daily, was also on the case. They had sent their top photographer to record the event, this being a visit to Loughan Quay.

The photographs he brought back were stunning. How could a small industrial quayside layout look so wonderful. One had to investigate.

This brought me here to Loughan Quay, Such a fabulous layout. A track plan with so many shunting opportunities set within a very tight and coherent industrial setting. At least five or six individual industrial and railway scenes, all so beautifully detailed. Brilliant use of view blockers and half relief buildings. I like the fact that all the buildings have a purpose and look as if they have developed over time. This is enhanced by the multitude of roof profiles, the consistent colour palette used on the stonework and the weathering. The tight confines of the walls, roads, alleyways, railway and quayside mean that there are so many viewing angles all within the theatre of a cameo layout.

Thank you for sharing and Merry Christmas to all at Loughan Quay @Tullygrainey and to Mr. Weaver @Patrick Davey.

Tim

Couldn't agree more!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TimO said:

Tim

Hi Tim, Thank you very much for all your praise and positive comments. Much appreciated. Loughan Quay has been a very satisfying layout to construct and I’m pleased that you see things about it that I tried to achieve.

You were closer to the truth than you realised when you said the buildings look as if they’ve developed over time. In modelling terms, some of them did. The Townley works has been renovated and extended four times and the original McCaughan Brothers warehouse was demolished and replaced a while ago. Even Hugh Vernor got a replacement coal office after his original corrugated tin affair rusted away. The Mourne mountains have even been moved, though maybe they're just shrouded in mist. 

P4299829.thumb.JPG.d6b0090e98214c40a51bdc675d31855a.JPG

(Not sure how that BR pannier tank got here)

P7140067.thumb.JPG.b01d91051a885e152d0ea14c818f8df9.JPG

Loughan Quay now has a new sliding fiddle yard which improves the operating potential a bit - still something of a lash-up but it works well enough.

IMG_7229.thumb.jpg.267d1cf4b945e992d63f562976597128.jpg

Mr Weaver hasn’t been down this way for a while. I gather he’s casting a critical eye over developments at Clogherhead these days. I’d say you’ll find him in the front pew in St. Mary's Star of the Sea, Clogherhead come Christmas morning.

Thanks again. Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.

Alan

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...