West Cork Model village

Rate this topic

Westcorkrailway

2EBFA9B6-952D-454E-BF35-A73FC07C6AF0.thumb.jpeg.2519e9d11da32f9ab0c8ec8dbcfe7f11.jpeg

The vast collection of narrow gauge locos built by Jeremy Clements for the model village. Built for running but likely they won’t run very often due to a thievery issue 

97BAD50D-14CA-47BA-B69A-829172DB44F4.thumb.jpeg.9c1a900792766ca710baddcc70ca7b1d.jpeg

ignore the tired Langer holding it (he is only for a sense of scale) this is a G scale Bandon Tank in the flesh recently deleivered by Chris tebutt

089CD73B-E7B2-4238-B9B1-2917F34445D8.thumb.jpeg.0f7646059822eb86289971be778243eb.jpeg

mine of the two Park Royal’s there. As the mini diggers, RC boats and other new attractions have been extremely popular. This has opened up funds for all these more prototypical steps forward and It has allowed them to repaint there two coaches. One is being used for private lease (I should have my birthday party in there!!!!) while the other is having interior renovations for coffee seating I'm sure.

95D64F93-E22E-4241-B1E9-9820B3699746.thumb.jpeg.40f7c69b8cb87317a73e25c8cccc6d09.jpeg

Remember the size of that bandon tank. Now look at the size of that viaduct it’s placed on. Recently built from scratch in the UK (I think) 

as far as I know there isint a thread on this place as of yet so I wanted to start one . 

• Like 17
  • WOW! 1

34 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Pity the pond is now big enough to hold a Proper RC Model Boat Gala. Small enough for the Pay boats too.

Fella's nicking stuff of the track? Nuts.

They said if there was ever an enthusiasts day or special day they would run the Jeremy Clements models.I don’t know if the pond could be used for an RC gala. But certainly plenty of room for those RC boats that they do have installed (which the kids love) I’m not an expert in the RC boats. but otherwise yes some have just pocketed the locos in handbags or otherwise and walked out! 

Actually an enthusiasts day wouldn’t be the worst idea. @Nilesput that in the long term plans 😁😁😁

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

They said if there was ever an enthusiasts day or special day they would run the Jeremy Clements models.I don’t know if the pond could be used for an RC gala. But certainly plenty of room for those RC boats that they do have installed (which the kids love) I’m not an expert in the RC boats. but otherwise yes some have just pocketed the locos in handbags or otherwise and walked out! 

Actually an enthusiasts day wouldn’t be the worst idea. @Nilesput that in the long term plans 😁😁😁

Not a bad idea... 🤔

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Had a look at it the last time I was down there, Too Small by far for Boats.

These yokes are well small.

• Like 1

The thing that does puzzle little oul me is this; one of life's great dilemmas....... how come every single model of a Bandon Tank, anywhere, is always black, when only one* of 'em was, and only for a couple of years max? Just asking for a friend......................................!  😉

CBSCR had them green, GSR & CIE plain grey, except one (or two) based in Dublin in CIE green........

(*  464)

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

43 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

The thing that does puzzle little oul me is this; one of life's great dilemmas....... how come every single model of a Bandon Tank, anywhere, is always black, when only one* of 'em was, and only for a couple of years max? Just asking for a friend......................................!  😉

CBSCR had them green, GSR & CIE plain grey, except one (or two) based in Dublin in CIE green........

(*  464)

Everyone goes black because in the photos they all LOOK black JHB! And sher in most photos of bandon tanks seem to have been taken on the 17th of March ‘61

3B7A1B73-BACE-4D5C-9B74-473C64628405.thumb.jpeg.8719fc3e6eac3174b0c91a9080b573c9.jpeg

the black livery was one of the more unique liveries you could get in CIE days. The other being green which most of us modelers are much to threatened by. Sher everything wore grey. That’s why everyone makes their bandons black 

Of course you could always give it CBSCR livery. The Bandon tanks got a slightly lighter shade of green to the other bandon liveries locomotives. Some bandon locos got yellow lining too. I don’t think any got a CBSC crest on the side. Few locos got such a thing. 

below is a project I’m working on. A picture of a screen is never going to be great but it’s an attempt of capturing the CBSCR livery that could in theory be put on a bandon 
505A9FE0-EAC5-44F3-9A86-8476B749069A.jpeg.4d1be6b4c518f1bf1d04f7159424660c.jpeg

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

(*  464)

Many years ago Tim Cramer scratchbuilt a 4mm 21mm Gauge model of a Bandon Tank in CIE green, model was sold to Brian Fennell an MRSI member and used on the Loughrea Layout during the 90s early 200s after Tim moved up to 7mm.

Tim also scratchbuilt built a model of No90 in as-preserved (1960s) lined green livery real watch-making job 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Everyone goes black because in the photos they all LOOK black JHB! And sher in most photos of bandon tanks seem to have been taken on the 17th of March ‘61

3B7A1B73-BACE-4D5C-9B74-473C64628405.thumb.jpeg.8719fc3e6eac3174b0c91a9080b573c9.jpeg

the black livery was one of the more unique liveries you could get in CIE days. The other being green which most of us modelers are much to threatened by. Sher everything wore grey. That’s why everyone makes their bandons black 

Of course you could always give it CBSCR livery. The Bandon tanks got a slightly lighter shade of green to the other bandon liveries locomotives. Some bandon locos got yellow lining too. I don’t think any got a CBSC crest on the side. Few locos got such a thing. 

below is a project I’m working on. A picture of a screen is never going to be great but it’s an attempt of capturing the CBSCR livery that could in theory be put on a bandon 
505A9FE0-EAC5-44F3-9A86-8476B749069A.jpeg.4d1be6b4c518f1bf1d04f7159424660c.jpeg

That green does indeed look the part!

Yes, most of the few pics taken in colour in West Cork show 464 - the one which WAS black! 

19 minutes ago, Mayner said:

Many years ago Tim Cramer scratchbuilt a 4mm 21mm Gauge model of a Bandon Tank in CIE green, model was sold to Brian Fennell an MRSI member and used on the Loughrea Layout during the 90s early 200s after Tim moved up to 7mm.

Tim also scratchbuilt built a model of No90 in as-preserved (1960s) lined green livery real watch-making job 

I’d love to see that job!

6 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

That green does indeed look the part!

Yes, most of the few pics taken in colour in West Cork show 464 - the one which WAS black! 

I’d love to see that job!

I believe there is a photo in the Johnson/O’Rourke book on modelling Irish railways.

• Like 1

I was discussing this with @jhb171achill the other day, there's reference out there in the Boocock book about one of the Bandon tanks carrying 'dark blue-green', anyone have a picture of this? My wild guess is that it refers to the darker late 40s/early 50s shade CIE used but pure speculation.

On page 43 of Colin Boocok's book, under the heading class B4 4-6-0, there is a photo of No 467. Part of the cab side, the lower portions of the water tank and the steps are a dark green. The rest being a grimy blue/black. I can't post a copy of the photo due to copyright provisions in the book. The phot is dated August 1953 taken at the Rocksavage depot. The caption also states that CIE painted it green and kept it clean. The photo is attributed to K Cooper.

Hope this is helpful

MikeO

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeO said:

On page 43 of Colin Boocok's book, under the heading class B4 4-6-0, there is a photo of No 467. Part of the cab side, the lower portions of the water tank and the steps are a dark green. The rest being a grimy blue/black. I can't post a copy of the photo due to copyright provisions in the book. The phot is dated August 1953 taken at the Rocksavage depot. The caption also states that CIE painted it green and kept it clean. The photo is attributed to K Cooper.

Hope this is helpful

MikeO

I was told by Ray good that 467 was the only bandon tank to wear green livery. Although that could have been referencing purely west cork running itself. Some sources say 466 also got it 

I think the same photograph in that book is in Chris Larkins book somewhere if that’s an easier access book to anyone 

According to Bill McDonnell (Area running foreman Cork) in " a Decade of Steam" 466,469 and 470 were transferred to Bray & Mullingar when he 1st worked on the "Bandon", 467 was at the time 1939 the only member of the class fitted with the R Class superheated boiler and was 'not very popular" and had problems with cracked frames, all the superheated locos later had their frames strengthened, 465 went to Inchacore  for repairs in late 1940-early 41 and never returned. "470 was the only "other" member of the class not fitted with a superheated boiler", though 463 was fitted with one of the original non-superheated boiler during her final shopping before the end of steam on the CBSC

Nothing mentioned about livery though possible one or more of the "Bray" loco was re-painted in "Dublin Suburban & Express Passenger" lined green.

Tim Cramer published drawings and photos of the Bandon Tanks and GSWR 90 in the Model Railway Constructor during the late 60s/70s, his 4mm mainly West Cork locos including a Bandon Tank, No 90 and a Midland Small Tank were featured in a Railway Modeller Article in 1971-72 Tim Published a series of "Irish Miscellany" articles and drawings in Model Railways Magazine during the late 70s including the Kerry & Achill Bogies, three types of MGWR 6 wheelers, the 800 Class & B141, a humble Open Wagon, GSWR/CIE Brake Van and Waterfall Station and an O Gauge 60 Class or D14 4-4-0 in lined CIE green in a British Railway Modelling "Irish Modelling Special" in the early 2000s

In his "Bandon Tank" article Tim wrote of his first cab ride as a 12 year old (on a Bandon Tank) at Glanmire Road collecting eggs from a driver friend of his fathers and later being allowed to turn the locos when the crew were having a cup of tea. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 4

On 17/5/2023 at 9:30 AM, Georgeconna said:

Fella's nicking stuff of the track? Nuts.

The display area inside, all that's separating people from goodies is a railing last time I visited. You could reach over, grab something and stick it in a bag and be out the door before the bored receptionist would cop it. I heard memorabilia went walkies some years ago. (note, don't do this)

Things need to be bolted down or locked away or under cctv because the public cannot be trusted, it's naive to think otherwise.

• WOW! 1

great models. terrific to see the park royals in an actual livery and not one that was made up by someone who thinks its a 1850s coach. 

as for people taking the models if they put tension lock cuppings on them (which would be a sin) but if they did do it robbers would spend so much time fiddling around trying to uncouple it that they would be caught.