The future?

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Shall we see the return to motor bogies in our locomotives? Kato have previewed this new system in a Japanese loco and will be coming soon to a new US outline loco in HO. There is nothing around as smooth as Kato's current motor, so it will be interesting to see if this new idea catches on. More room for speakers and weight at least!

[video=youtube_share;lLK2tKssj5M]

I guess this is pretty close! Motors for each bogie....

How long before the like sof Hornby or Bachmann follow suit (if at all) considering Hornby stuff (some of it) still have 1980's technology motors inside!

Its pure 80s technology :banana: Bachmann used individual powered bogies in its HO 45 & 70Tonners and Large Scale GE Diesel and Geared Steamers.

I have one battery powered large scale loco with twin motor drive you tend to get surging or a jerking motion with the motors wired in parallel running downhill under load as the back EMF from one motor fights the other, wiring the motors in series reduces the surging but halves the top speed :SORRY:.

Be interesting to see how kato got around that one

I've looked on a couple of US forums and they all seem to share John's concerns. I just can't see though how Kato, who produce probably the smoothest motor of all would ditch it for an inferior drive system. Time will tell and as Anthony says feedback from modellers who have such models will be interesting.

• 6 months later...

That is a real backward step. I was hoping to see the bogie motor in units like the Bachmann Turbostars, Voyagers, 150's, the new 158's, and the EMU's in the future allowing full interior's. I remember seeing a guy DCC a Voyager and fit an Express Models lighting unit to it at a show in the UK and it reminds me of that. It needs a lot of work to bring it up to plug and play, and that's what they should be aiming for in today's market.

Rich,

That is a real backward step. I was hoping to see the bogie motor in units like the Bachmann Turbostars, Voyagers, 150's, the new 158's, and the EMU's in the future allowing full interior's. I remember seeing a guy DCC a Voyager and fit an Express Models lighting unit to it at a show in the UK and it reminds me of that. It needs a lot of work to bring it up to plug and play, and that's what they should be aiming for in today's market.

Rich,

Yep, the US forums can't believe it either! Back to the 80s. I was considering one of these to build up a passenger train but think I'll go athearn instead.

Yep, the US forums can't believe it either! Back to the 80s. I was considering one of these to build up a passenger train but think I'll go athearn instead.

I'm not surprised Fran. The caption at the end of photo one could worry a lot of people. Not pictured Pin vice, Soldering iron, Dremel.

Rich,