GSWR 90 Overhaul

Rate this topic

GSWR 90

As some of you are probably aware, a few months ago the Downpatrick & County Down Railway started work on restoring GSWR 90 to operational condition. As the only rural branch line steam loco left in Ireland, and one of only four Irish-built steam locos remaining, 90 is a unique link to how industrialisation changed Ireland economically and culturally (eg move away from subsistence farming, depopulation of rural areas, and changes in use of the Irish language) in the 19th century. You can learn more about her history here.

The loco was assessed in April-May and moved into the engine shed at the end of June. Put very simply, 90 is to be taken apart, then the boiler will be removed and sent to a contractor for overhaul while we work on other parts of the loco at Downpatrick, and then when that’s done it’ll all be put back together. 

Of course, this is going to take a lot of time, money, and manpower – we plan to launch a fundraiser over the next few weeks, which will hopefully include a surprise or two.

We haven’t done a huge amount of work since it was brought into the shed – our loco dept consists of a pretty small team of people, and everyone has been busy with our summer steam trains. Work has included disconnecting fittings in the cab, vacuum ejector, injectors etc. Major job at the moment is chiselling out the concrete at the bottom of the smokebox, which is somehow even more unpleasant than it sounds. 

Excuse the lack of photos, I don’t want to bore you with pictures of random bolts and disconnected pipes just yet. Watch this space for more updates!

16DB7BDE-8F39-4FF3-88BC-E45DAEB66CC4.jpeg

54D93816-BDF8-46D0-A80F-128D49834424.jpeg

CC199990-267C-420F-8A91-C5DF1E54842E.jpeg

DB68859F-E1AC-42BB-A73F-DC4C86294A12.jpeg

Edited by GSWR 90
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

"Of course, this is going to take a lot of time, money, and manpower – we plan to launch a fundraiser over the next few weeks, which will hopefully include a surprise or two."

OK, IRM, who much are you goi ng to pay me not to spill the beans about your first Irish steam loco?

I wish! Not that sort of surprise, unless IRM know something I don’t

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

I was pretty sure IE and NIR were still in business ? 

Ah! Mea culpa....see my amendment above!

16 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

"Of course, this is going to take a lot of time, money, and manpower – we plan to launch a fundraiser over the next few weeks, which will hopefully include a surprise or two."

OK, IRM, who much are you goi ng to pay me not to spill the beans about your first Irish steam loco?

The live steam 15mm scale GNR "PP"?

5 hours ago, GSWR 90 said:

..... Major job at the moment is chiselling out the concrete at the bottom of the smokebox, which is somehow even more unpleasant than it sounds. ...!

Kind of makes you wish it was the chocolate Aero concrete that's a ticking timebomb in so many British public buildings at the moment!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/9/2023 at 9:24 PM, StevieB said:

When she had her overhaul at Tuam, she received a new boiler courtesy of the SVR.

Stephen

90 ran with the new boiler with Westrail from 1992-1993, then at Downpatrick 2007-2010 – so hopefully there won’t be (too many) nasty surprises with the boiler as it’s only seen around five years of service since it was built.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Plenty of progress on the auld doll recently, especially now that O&K No 3 is ready for her annual dry boiler inspection.

We had a contingent of volunteers all the way from Carrickgergus to Cork coming down to help out, which meant we made quite a bit of progress over the last weekend. I’m hoping to organise a working party of volunteers from Dublin (or further afield) over the next few weeks or so, so if any of you are interested in helping out please send me a private message. As you can see from the photos, most of us are relatively young – everyone learns as they go along, so no experience necessary, just a passion for steam locos!

Off of the top of my head, work since the last updates has included:

• Removing both safety valves
  • Removing both clack valves
  • Removing both injector feed pipes
  • Removing a few other injector-y bits
  • Removing both injector overflow pipes
  • Removing parts of the front of the cab, which has allowed the blower and vacuum ejector pipe to be removed completely 
  • Finding the Westrail works plate that used to be on the back of the cab!

Next jobs will be getting the cab front and boiler cladding out, as well as working away on the bolts at the front of the smokebox, the steam pipes inside of the smokebox, and the cement at the bottom of the smokebox. Watch this space!

771F5049-FB61-4257-862A-FD14370F0350.jpeg

5A88D160-F637-4F59-B017-56D784FCAE68.jpeg

D85F4132-A1A9-4771-BF50-A8B43C0DBBEC.jpeg

477D7BE8-26E2-4A5F-BBA8-39D2593C4B53.jpeg

6676D5B7-E67D-4137-BC2E-E4563A331A8F.jpeg

Edited by GSWR 90
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 1

A few bits of news:

1. DCDR will have a stand at the Dublin Model Show at Blackrock College this weekend and Monday selling books, memorabilia, memberships, a few models, etc  – all going well we'll also hopefully have a little surprise on sale to raise funds for 90's restoration if it arrives in time (and no, it's not related to IRM's new model!)
  2. Dome cover finally came off (very old – could be from 1875), so we can start staking off the cladding
  3. We found the Westrail works plate. Someone in Westrail scrawled an image onto the back – can't be shown as I think it goes against the registration terms of this site!

IMG_2084.jpg

• Like 7

If you saw our stand at the Dublin Model Show at the weekend, you’ll know that Táilte Tours have kindly donated a limited run of enamel badges of No 90 to DCDR. These were designed by one of our volunteers and they represent the loco in the GSWR livery that it currently carries at Downpatrick. These will be available at Mark’s Models in Dublin and on Táilte Tours’ website for €10, with all money going towards 90’s restoration. I’ll post the link here when it’s online.

A former Westrail volunteer has also donated these original Westrail button badges which were made to celebrate 90’s launch after its restoration in 1990. These will also be available on TT’s website in the coming days.

13675A4F-E0CF-48DA-A85F-41CB36E4B785.jpeg

ED4B52F3-CD4A-433E-B569-2765C27EE41D.jpeg

Edited by GSWR 90
  • Like 1

The 90 badge is now on sale on Táilte Tours’ website!

https://www.tailtetours.com/product-page/gswr-no-90-tank-engine-enamel-badge

It’s worth emphasising that for every one of these badges sold, €10 will go towards 90’s restoration. That’s basically the same as donating €10 and getting a free badge! 

Edited by GSWR 90
  • Like 2
  • WOW! 1

Two very nice models indeed @GSWR 90 - unfortunately your photo of them posing with 90's Westrail plaque has only served to remind me that this weekend I missed out on the chance to take a peek at the (in)famous image on the back of it that you hinted at earlier in this thread😀

I did get the chance to pick up a 90 badge and a few other bits from the Downpatrick stand though, so its all good 😀😀😀 

• Like 3

On 4/9/2023 at 4:55 PM, GSWR 90 said:

As some of you are probably aware, a few months ago the Downpatrick & County Down Railway started work on restoring GSWR 90 to operational condition. As the only rural branch line steam loco left in Ireland, and one of only four Irish-built steam locos remaining, 90 is a unique link to how industrialisation changed Ireland economically and culturally (eg move away from subsistence farming, depopulation of rural areas, and changes in use of the Irish language) in the 19th century. You can learn more about her history here.

The loco was assessed in April-May and moved into the engine shed at the end of June. Put very simply, 90 is to be taken apart, then the boiler will be removed and sent to a contractor for overhaul while we work on other parts of the loco at Downpatrick, and then when that’s done it’ll all be put back together. 

Of course, this is going to take a lot of time, money, and manpower – we plan to launch a fundraiser over the next few weeks, which will hopefully include a surprise or two.

Excellent news; a point of order, though, if I may: the GNR 2.4.2T in Cultra is another surviving br4anch line loco...it and its type worked on the Belturbet branch regularly.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Excellent news; a point of order, though, if I may: the GNR 2.4.2T in Cultra is another surviving br4anch line loco...it and its type worked on the Belturbet branch regularly.....

Worth clarifying then – only independent branch line!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GSWR 90 said:

Worth clarifying then – only independent branch line!

And only (likely to be) operational branch loco! The GNR one would require, I am told by reliable sources, a rebuild of such massive proportions that it would be (like 90!) virtually a replica engine - and thus holessly uneconomic fo9r an outfit like the DCDR to contemplate.

All three surviving GSWR locos which would suit preservation - 90, 184 & 186 - were substantially altered over the course of their careers. 186 for one, and also 90, lost most of their original components in the 1910s - probably 184 too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

And only (likely to be) operational branch loco! The GNR one would require, I am told by reliable sources, a rebuild of such massive proportions that it would be (like 90!) virtually a replica engine - and thus holessly uneconomic fo9r an outfit like the DCDR to contemplate.

All three surviving GSWR locos which would suit preservation - 90, 184 & 186 - were substantially altered over the course of their careers. 186 for one, and also 90, lost most of their original components in the 1910s - probably 184 too.

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx28nMfHADsuqZy_hzbaXti9Nm3g3qzA30?si=QCqS99ePLIFgI4Ol

• Funny 2