IRM NIR intercity coaches

Rate this topic

Noel

Seriously impressed with these coaches. Magnificent, not my era or region, but they ran in Ireland so had to get a rake. Stunning models. Took them for a test run yesterday, the DVT because it needs a decoder to run on DCC or it buzzes. Support helped me understand their guidance. Will have to put passenger inside and do a little mild weathering. Time travel on the main layout yesterday. Detail is sublime.

IMG_0559.thumb.jpeg.667d134b9b8885502d4cf7ef1bf283f4.jpegIMG_05612.thumb.jpeg.f4edcc150dc96a953a03dd6166887fe3.jpeg

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

The NIR mk2 DVT needs a decoder if placed on DCC track (ie to get rid of the short and buzzing noise). So fitted a Lenz decoder to the driving trailer yesterday. Easy to get the body off following the instructions. To safely remove the blanking plate and insert the 21pin decoder in I removed the roof level PCB (easy 2 screws). Then popped it on the test track to give the decoder address 916. Body cable easily unplugs from the PCB. Easy Peasy. Magic wand works to turn the main coach interior lights on and off but not the front end of the coach since decoder fitted. I can't figure out which functions switch the other lights on or off other than the usual F0 for the running lights which alternate between white and red based on direction chosen. Very nicely engineered model. It would have been nice if the interior lights worked out of the box on DCC track without opening up the body to fit a decoder. The interior lights in other coaches and my other two sets work fine on DCC track out of the box using just the magic wand.  Will have fun with these when I've completed the respray of IR 085 into NIR 112 livery. Happy days.

image.thumb.jpeg.038a36f29c1ef5debac72b6a34d0f6a0.jpeg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Out of my era but having seen them close up, the detail is amazing - they are certainly akin to the underparts of a canine........

Not my era either but they ran in Ireland and the livery is fabulous looking. Don't think they were pushed for the last 20 years of their life, just hauled so the DVTs were probably just a sort of brake van.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I saw them in Malahide on Sunday for the first time (first time out there too - kudos, @jhb171achill on the work you and your colleagues have put in), and I thought they looked very well indeed. Its a very eye-catching livery, and I'm almost regretting not picking them up when I had the chance - even though my interests lie more along former GSWR territory.

You've built up quite the fleet there @Noel!

• Like 4