BROOMBRIDGE JUNCTION

Rate this topic

20 hours ago, Rob R said:

It may well be a stiff time target but the SSMRS will be having an 80th birthday party in 2026.......

Good point Rob. I'll have to twist your arm to build some stock and give you full running rights!

11 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Brings to mind Hamiltons equation  i² = j² = k² = ijk = -1. ( Quaternion algebra)
Just sayin like..

😀I'm intending to illustrate Hamilton and his Wife on that famous occasion in some way. Even though it occured long before the railway was built. 

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've just returned from a few days in Dublin and did much walking along the Royal Canal and 'bazzing' around Broombridge and Lock 7 where the railway crosses the canal. And the measuring tape was deployed to get a few bridge dimensions much to the embarrassment of my Wife and perplexity among some locals - but hey ho, all in a days work of a railway modeller! Attached are a few images of the place now and a few years ago to give an idea of what I am trying to achieve:

_20210118_211100.JPG

DSC_0016_6.JPG

DSC_0596 1.JPG

facebook_1713476899469_7186843013354103203.jpg

• Like 11

Horsebox.thumb.jpg.f5fad4da1e30f753557db9dc56829e57.jpg

Released a model of a MGWR Horse Box about 10 years ago. Sales were so poor (total about 6 sold) that it was not worth re-ordering the cast parts to do a repeat or hold as a stock item. 

The etched parts are available to order and sold a few down the years and even produced a 2mm version as a special order. Castings were produced by Dart castings from my masters, the castings are in the Dart catalogue with the exception of the handbrake wheel.

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Alphagraphix still have their card kit of the WLW/Sligo model. 7mm scale, but a starting point for a scratch build msybe?

And Roger will shrink it to 4mm if you ask nicely. They are great templates for scratch building. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 1/5/2024 at 2:23 AM, Mayner said:

Horsebox.thumb.jpg.f5fad4da1e30f753557db9dc56829e57.jpg

Released a model of a MGWR Horse Box about 10 years ago. Sales were so poor (total about 6 sold) that it was not worth re-ordering the cast parts to do a repeat or hold as a stock item. 

The etched parts are available to order and sold a few down the years and even produced a 2mm version as a special order. Castings were produced by Dart castings from my masters, the castings are in the Dart catalogue with the exception of the handbrake wheel.

They are lovely models John. If I was a 4mm modeller I'd have brought a few myself. 

2 hours ago, David Holman said:

Alphagraphix still have their card kit of the WLW/Sligo model. 7mm scale, but a starting point for a scratch build msybe?

I brought one of the 7mm Alphagraphix card kits and, having asked Roger Crumplehome beforehand at the Warley Show years ago, re-scaled it to S on my photocopier to produce an S Scale model. I used S Scale Society castings and a bit of scratch-building to complete it. I did do a write-up for New Irish Lines a few years back.

The colour is wrong on mine and may have faded a bit. I suppose I am pretending that the real ones faded also but maybe not in my period. I may investigate using Ink to deepen the colour. And I must build a few more. 

I have this week started building a model of the actual Broombridge over the canal and railway. I did do an earlier mock-up in card, but revised it following my recent trip to Dublin and getting some more accurate dimensions. The carcass is from 5mm Foamboard. It will later be covered in DAS modelling clay and the stonework carved in, plus the adding of coping stones along the parapet. 

The distance between the railway and canal on my model is greater than on the prototype because on my model the tracks are curving around instead of straight. 

The photo also includes my model of a MGWR Horsebox, such a unigue vehicle with its integral dog box. 

DSC_2368.JPG