Kettle era CIE goods

Rate this topic

Noel

Posted (edited)
On 31/3/2024 at 9:44 PM, raymurph said:

The 0-6-0 475 is lovely, what is it and where did you get it?

Cheers, it came from 00 Works a few years ago [GSR 475 (Ex CBSCR)]

Edited by Noel
missing data
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

I suspect bunker capacity may have limited usefulness on longer runs and aprés amalgamation there was no shortage of handier locos available to poke around the city quays and Courtmac.

I think he’s referring to the working life of the model on this occasion….based on previous posts….is that correct @Westcorkrailway?

• Like 1

Yup. The reason they were got rid of them was a slightly non standard design next to something like a J26

the model itself just does not work. For all me and Rodrick attempts to make it work. The gears just wear themselves to naff. I suspect it’s something to do with the wheels as a pose to the worm and wheel like I previously suspected. 

I’ll still keep it because these locos often worked Cork-Kinsale. I don’t run models all that often anyway. It’s just a shame this model will likely never run again unless I paid for serious surgery

• Like 2

Funny thing Westcork, mine also stripped the pinion gear within a few hours running. Rodrick did supply a new gear FOC for me to fit. I have washerd the lateral play to the absolute minimum keeping the worm in the centre of the pinion. Although with straight cut gears that should not be so much of a problem. The worm teeth on my loco are so sharp you could shave with it!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Funny thing Westcork, mine also stripped the pinion gear within a few hours running. Rodrick did supply a new gear FOC for me to fit. I have washerd the lateral play to the absolute minimum keeping the worm in the centre of the pinion. Although with straight cut gears that should not be so much of a problem. The worm teeth on my loco are so sharp you could shave with it!

Yup, sounds identical to what happened to mine. And Rodrick had it repair d free of charge including the postage to get it there and back but alas it still isint working right. I love 00 works and I without them there is no way in hell I would have ever gotten a RTR CBSCR loco (the most unlikely thing ever) but it’s purley for stationary use nowadays. 

17 hours ago, Flying Snail said:

It looks like a couple of J15s had gearbox issues in Raheny in 2022 ....

I remember attending the Blackrock show in 2022 and a J15 was working Castletown/ballygluin. I went there around midday and watched the J-15 completely fail meaning a deisal sun had to come in. The lads were not pleased and I explained to one of them my issues with my loco. I think one of them offered to fix mine free of change, but that was too generous an offer for me so I refused. I think they eventually managed to fix it (posted in this thread somehere)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

...., mine also stripped the pinion gear within a few hours running. Rodrick did supply a new gear FOC for me to fit. I have washerd the lateral play to the absolute minimum keeping the worm in the centre of the pinion. Although with straight cut gears that should not be so much of a problem. The worm teeth on my loco are so sharp you could shave with it!

I wonder who the original maker / supplier of the gear set is. It's not unknown for the individual gears to be machined from unsuitable or incompatible stock, leading to premature wear or stripping within a comparatively short timespan.