An Update on the New Alstom battery electric trains

Rate this topic

That’s brilliant!! Very exciting and they look very very well indeed! I was never mad about the orange triangle on the cabside of the artist’s impression images so I think this new livery looks much better without it.

A few queries though, does anyone know is there an immediate confirmed plan ready to go for the next phased order of trains…? I presume they’re waiting for the Maynooth depot to be built and line electrified before they order the next batch…? And where will this fleet be maintained between now and the Maynooth depot coming online? Does anyone know how the fast charging at Drogheda before the return journey will work…? The article says it’ll take ‘under an hour’ but with a proposed every-10-minute service, is this really doable?

They do look brilliant though and I have to say charging points at every seat is a huge plus too! And with their longer distance battery capabilities and wide scale operation, for once Ireland is out in front for public transport infrastructure!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 226 Abhann na Suire said:

That’s brilliant!! Very exciting and they look very very well indeed! I was never mad about the orange triangle on the cabside of the artist’s impression images so I think this new livery looks much better without it.

A few queries though, does anyone know is there an immediate confirmed plan ready to go for the next phased order of trains…? I presume they’re waiting for the Maynooth depot to be built and line electrified before they order the next batch…? And where will this fleet be maintained between now and the Maynooth depot coming online? Does anyone know how the fast charging at Drogheda before the return journey will work…? The article says it’ll take ‘under an hour’ but with a proposed every-10-minute service, is this really doable?

They do look brilliant though and I have to say charging points at every seat is a huge plus too! And with their longer distance battery capabilities and wide scale operation, for once Ireland is out in front for public transport infrastructure!!

Fleet will be maintained at Drogheda for now iirc. Valeting depot at Connolly is to get demolished/rebuilt to make way for new facilities there. I'd have thought they'd have started building infrastructure for it all by now...

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

16 hours ago, GSR 800 said:

The long ugly concrete brick 2 road structure directly adjacent to platform 1

Originally the Mails Complex opened the early 70s in connection with P & T new Sherriff St mail sorting office allowing mail and parcel to be transferred directly from the sorting office to rail rather than road from the GPO to Connolly and Heuston. 

The Mails Complex also served as another pair of platforms for Connolly during busy time, remember disembarking from a train in the Mail Complex at some stage during the 80s.

The building used a combination of concrete block walls and precast columns and roof beams. popular for industrial buildings at the time being cheap and almost maintenance free. The Sherriff St mail sorting complex was unpopular with P & T Staff with dust from the adjoining coal yards causing problems and abandoned in the early 90s possibly before the Mail Trains ceased, a far cry from the Residential and Financial Service area that now occupies the Custom House Docks.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

At the end of my period with a proper job, I ultimately worked for Alstom and we had a giant sign on the building, with letters maybe even six feet high, plus all the headed paper, etc., but a surprising proportion of people who worked there were unable to spell or pronounce it correctly.

There was a weird determination that it should include an R - Alstrom.

I never could see the reasons behind this, but it was more than just the odd person and you still hear it in the town now, when their presence went at least a decade ago.

It may not have permeated into the railway side of things, but you never know.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.7982738,-2.1023791,3a,51.2y,190.95h,114t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sDXgVQ-Y6BKhR39aqz12ERA!2e0!5s20121101T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

There had been the earlier Alsthom spelling, but that hardly seemed a reason for the insertion of the R...

On 8/5/2024 at 9:16 AM, spudfan said:

Interesting to see the list of components and suppliers- I love stepping onto a train and noticing little details, like the "Alstom" on the short step in front of the door on Pendolinos, or the "Hyundai" at the end of each car in a 22000. I'll be looking out for those little things whenever I hop on one of those units.

• Like 1