Alphagraphix 4mm brass etches

Rate this topic

Colin R

Posted (edited)

Hi Guys

Something for you all to think about, I have been in touch with Roger owner of Alphagraphix and I asked him about producing his locos in 4mm scale, he doesn't want to produce the castings but I think that it might not be to much trouble to find alternatives over the range of 4mm casting all ready offered by other companies.

That said he is willing to produce the etches in 4mm scale leaving the builder to find all those other casting parts we need.

The down side is that for this to happen he needs to have confirmation of a minimum of six orders per locomotive. I have below listed the known locos he currently does in 7mm.

If any of these interest you please indicate on this thread to start with and we can take it from there, I wont get involved witht e money since you will be dealing with Roger direct on this matter.

Great Southern & Western Railway. Ivatt F6 class 2-4-2T

Great Southern & Western Railway. Ivatt J30 class 0-6-0T

Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway. Beyer Peacock 4-6-0T

Great Northern Railway. (Ireland) JT class 2-4-2T

Midland Great Western Railway. Atock G2 class 2-4-0 tender loco.

Midland Great Western Railway. Fairbairn "Elf" class 2-2-2ST

Midland Great Western Railway Atock J26 class 0-6-0T

Belfast & County Down Railway. 2-4-0 tender loco "The famous No.6"

Timoleague & Courtmacsherry Lt. Railway. Hunslet 2-6-0T "Argadeen"

Timoleague & Courtmacsherry Lt. Railway. Hunslet 0-4-2T "St. Molaga"

Great Southern Railways. Drewry 4-wheel Petrol Railcar

Please remember these will be brass eteches only and no cast fittings, motor, gear box or wheels and bearsing will be included

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

Rogers contact details https://alphagraphixkits.co.uk/449095275

Edited by Colin R
  • Like 4

All we need now is for Des to produce his Leitrim 0-6-4 etches in 4mm scale and leaving the rest of the bits up to the modeller and things will only get better.

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

Currently working on my 4th loco from Roger. Great little kits and well thought out with a fold up chassis. As you say Colin, the cast w/m parts aren’t a deal breaker. I often swap them out anyway for lost wax alternatives. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Bob49 said:

I might be interested in a J26 or a GNR JT if they could be built to 21mm gauge.

Marc 

the JT would be an easier undertaking as the splashers on the J26 would be tight, if the 7mm experience is anything to go by.

In 7mm scale, the kits are pretty accurate in terms of fitting together without needing filler or fettling. Reducing to 4mm shouldn't affect that. St Mologa is tiny, so wouldn't recommend it as a first attempt if you've got little or no experience of brass kits, but the J26 was a lovely, simple model to make. Likewise the 2-4-0s should be ok.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I think the J26 tank would be an interesting comparison with the old TMD/SSM design, and castings for it might be available as a pack from Des at SSM. And yes, the facility to build it in 21mm gauge is important.

Wonder what the price would be?

There's nothing else in that list that interests me, I'm afraid, unless Roger has a sudden hankering to produce a K1/K1a, 400 or 500 class!

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

First Irish loco I ever built. Nowadays I’d make an effort at MGW livery! 

Thats a nice little model - the flyaway roof on the cab is very elegant (although I wouldn't want to have been standing on the prototype's footplate on a rainy winter's day).

Would anyone know how a model like that scales down to 4mm in terms of suitable motors and gear boxes?

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Would think there's a High Level gear box that will fit. The crucial thing will be to fill every available space with lead to ensure enough adhesion. No worries about binding coupling rods or quartering driving wheels though!

That reminds me I have two or three "singles" to tackle in the years ahead, including a Midland Railway "Spinner" and a GWR Dean Single. Adhesion, or lack of it, will be amusing....

On 5/6/2024 at 9:30 PM, Killian Keane said:

Yes empty stock at Broadstone, and only last night I was reading those locos were apparently put on Dublin-Galway mail trains if you can believe that!

I'd surmise the time allowed for the trip was fairly relaxed if they were rostering a "single" to haul it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/6/2024 at 12:14 PM, Killian Keane said:

Scan_20240123.thumb.png.d2e3a9d248238f6e3d0e39be31bd4bdc.png

This is possibly posed; it is certainly not an actual train, as the carriages are of 1890s design. At that stage only three "singles" remained, and they were long gone from the main line - just shunted around Broadstone. In this view, if not posed, he's lifting an incoming up Galway / Sligo (two portions combined in Mullingar; Sligo part rearmost) out of the arrival platform.

8 hours ago, Galteemore said:

One of identical design still exists in Brazil, albeit in original well tank form, so it would be possible to see what they are capable of….image copyright Wilson Santos IMG_1456.jpeg.21439bf8a532936d46ec27116321f1f5.jpeg

That being Brazil, I suppose they wouldn't have had to regauge it, either.

On 3/6/2024 at 2:03 PM, Horsetan said:

I think the J26 tank would be an interesting comparison with the old TMD/SSM design, and castings for it might be available as a pack from Des at SSM. And yes, the facility to build it in 21mm gauge is important.

Wonder what the price would be?

There's nothing else in that list that interests me, I'm afraid, unless Roger has a sudden hankering to produce a K1/K1a, 400 or 500 class!

EDIT: Actually there is something else that interests me, and that is the J30 0-6-0T,  since no.90 is still with us.

You can add me to the list for that etch set as well.