Alphagraphix 4mm brass etches

Rate this topic

Colin R

2 hours ago, NorthWallDocker said:

@2996 Victor and @Horsetan: Studio Scale Models already offer etched brass kits of the MGWR E class (J26).  See http://www.studio-scale-models.com/Locos.shtml

The Studio Scale Models version of the E Class (J26) is probabably the best option for modelling a loco in MGWR-GSR condition and the Alphagraphix version for modelling the J26 in late GSR-CIE condition.

The SSM kit is supplied with parts (etched and cast) to assemble the locos in original condition before they were re-built with new boilers after 1911, but curiously includes etched parts to assemble the locos as running on the Waterford & Tramore with enclosed extended bunkers and recessed footsteps. The locos rebuilt after 1911 retained their original chimney and dome, but the smokebox replaced with a less ornate dished version and safety valve covers removed.

The Alphagraphix model appears to be the late (post 1940) GSR version with riveted smokebox, 'built up" Inchacore chimney and plain smokebox door.

The TMD/SSM kit chassis can be assembled to OO or 21mm gauge in rigid or compensated form. The kits were orignally supplied with a brass chassis etched from the same thickness of material as the body, later kits with an additional nickle silver chassis with beam compensation. I have TMD/SSM MGWR E/J26 kits with both the original brass and later replacement nickle silver chassis both run fine!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Mayner’s comments on the Alphagraphix one are correct, as I built one to MGWR style and it involved turning some etches inside out to hide the rivets! A cast early smokebox door and alternative chimney were included - I imagine that the GSR pattern will be easy to find off the shelf, whereas a 4mm modeller may need to turn their own MGW style chimney. 

IMG_4435.jpeg

IMG_4436.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative 1

56 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Mayner’s comments on the Alphagraphix one are correct, as I built one to MGWR style and it involved turning some etches inside out to hide the rivets! A cast early smokebox door and alternative chimney were included - I imagine that the GSR pattern will be easy to find off the shelf, whereas a 4mm modeller may need to turn their own MGW style chimney. 

IMG_4435.jpeg

IMG_4436.jpeg

That's a stunning model! 

• Agree 1

As I understand it, these would be the etchings only, no castings, which would mean finding period-correct chimney, dome, etc.

John @Mayner, were the later boilers of different diameter? Or is it just that different style smoke doors were fitted? And also when Inchicore style smokeboxes etc were fitted?

Many thanks, 

Mark 

Edited by 2996 Victor

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

As I understand it, these would be the etchings only, no castings, which would mean finding period-correct chimney, dome, etc.

John @Mayner, were the later boilers of different diameter? Or is it just that different style smoke doors were fitted? And also when Inchicore style smokeboxes etc were fitted?

Many thanks, 

Mark 

E/J26 boiler diameters remained the same. It looks like the Inchacore style smokeboxes and built up chimneys were fitted gradually as locos were overhauled at Inchacore, some locos retained flush riveted smokeboxes and tall MGWR pattern funnels at least into the late 30s. Best advice is use a dated photo if you intend to model a particular loco.

The class was re-boilered by the MGWR between 1911 & 1925 (GSR Locos Clements & McMahon) the main visual changes were the replacement of the original Atiock pattern smokebox door & front Vac pipe arrangement and the fitting of Ross Pop safety valves.

Class J26 - 556 - Atock M&GWR Class E 0-6-0T - built 1891 by Sharp Stewart & Co., Works No.3695, as M&GWR No.111 WASP - 1925 to GSR as No.556, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1956.

556 MGWR 111 Wasp. undated photo. Rebuilt 1923 MGWR pattern smokebox door with handwheel, flush riveted smokebox and Ross Pop safety valves

There are photos of 552 & 558 running in this condition in 1939.

Class J26 - 554 - Atock M&GWR Class E 0-6-0T - built 1891 by Sharp Stewart & Co., Works No.3693, as M&GWR No.109 FLY - 1925 to GSR as No.556, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1960 - seen here at Broadstone in August 1935.

Aug 1935 photo of 554 at Broadstone with riveted smokebox and built up chimney.

Class J26 - 554 - M&GWR Class E 0-6-0T, built 1891 by Sharp Stewart & Co., Works No.3693, as Midland & Great Western Railway No.109 FLY - 1925 to GSR as No.554, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1960 - seen here at Galway, 04/55.

554 Galway 1955 with smokebox handwheel, photos indicate that some locos retained smokebox 'darts' rather handwheels and smokebox handrail arrangement varied between locos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Worth adding, for those modelling a particular one at a particular time, the following:

1.  Originally in the green livery as shown. Possibly slight tad darker from what the late Bob Clements told me, but there or thereabouts.

2.  None got the very short-lived blue livery (only a handful of main line passenger locos did)

3.  Any repainted between 1918 & 1924 would have been black lined in red - though, I’ve never seen a photo of one like this.

4.  After 1925, all dark grey to the end. Photos at the very end of steam appear to show a black 560, but it’s been polished with oily rags. I know this as I had the numberplate off it from final condition! So CIE never painted any of that class black.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

As I understand it, these would be the etchings only, no castings, which would mean finding period-correct chimney, dome, etc.... 

@Weshty supplied me with a spare pack of castings from the SSM J15 kit, as he thought the smokebox door and possibly the chimney might be suitable for a GSR/CIE period J26.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...