Amiens Street Terminus

Rate this topic

Admin

Or better still go back to the late 80's early 90's when we had the best enterprise sets. 071's and mk3's and 111's and mk2's way better than 201's and DD sets

Ahhh I love the mk3s and mk2s but I have to say I love the DDs. Not normally a big fan of push-pull and I can't stand the mk4s but I think the DDs have real class and a lovely ambience inside.

I think the DDs have real class and a lovely ambience inside.

Easily seen you are young. Ambience/class and the current enterprise don't go together. Ambience is slam doors, windows you could open and the clickity clack of the rails (before they started welding them) and to top it all off the roar of a 111 at the head of the train pulling up the climb out of Newry on her way to Dublin. Now that's what you call ambience. Vincent you were born 20 years to late bro you missed the ambience/class when it came to the enterprise. As I said DD's and ambience/class don't go together. Plastic, uncomfortable, no room, horrible, now those are the words to use when it comes to DD's and the present day enterprise.

Sorry about delay in replying BosKo, I'd hoped that someone with photos might have come in. The only photo that I can find at the moment is a rather poor b&w one in the October 1970 IRRS Journal - page 254 - showing the summer set at Connolly. The same article has other pictures of the set but these don't show the full train. The summer set consisted of seven of the eight carriages bought by NIR for the Enterprise: locomotive; first 801; grill/bar 547; standards 821, 822, 823, 824; and driving trailer brake standard 811 or 812; locomotive. The second driving trailer brake standard was spare. The winter set consisted of five coaches (two of the standards 821-4 being omitted) and a single locomotive, which if I remember correctly was at the Dublin end of the set.

Easily seen you are young. Ambience/class and the current enterprise don't go together. Ambience is slam doors, windows you could open and the clickity clack of the rails (before they started welding them) and to top it all off the roar of a 111 at the head of the train pulling up the climb out of Newry on her way to Dublin. Now that's what you call ambience. Vincent you were born 20 years to late bro you missed the ambience/class when it came to the enterprise. As I said DD's and ambience/class don't go together. Plastic, uncomfortable, no room, horrible, now those are the words to use when it comes to DD's and the present day enterprise.

I have to say I like the DDs, find them very comfortable and they're nice enough place to sit. No Mark III but the ride is decent. The Cork coaches are pretty awful though, seats are poor/hard, the ride is poor too, the feel like they hunt all over the place. Don't feel especially well made either. The ICRs are nicer, even with a engine under your feet.

The worst of all though currently is the 1st generation Japanese DART units. Feel like you're leaning on a window ledge than sitting down!

The worst of all though currently is the 1st generation Japanese DART units. Feel like you're leaning on a window ledge than sitting down!

I don't think anything is as bad as the 29ks... would take the Jap units over them any day!

Agree with you about the ICRs - best of the bunch to travel on.

I don't think anything is as bad as the 29ks... would take the Jap units over them any day!

Agree with you about the ICRs - best of the bunch to travel on.

There are sinply awful. Freezing expect for the heater burning your legs, terrible bumpy ride and horrible plasticcy interior!

Sorry about delay in replying BosKo, I'd hoped that someone with photos might have come in. The only photo that I can find at the moment is a rather poor b&w one in the October 1970 IRRS Journal - page 254 - showing the summer set at Connolly. The same article has other pictures of the set but these don't show the full train. The summer set consisted of seven of the eight carriages bought by NIR for the Enterprise: locomotive; first 801; grill/bar 547; standards 821, 822, 823, 824; and driving trailer brake standard 811 or 812; locomotive. The second driving trailer brake standard was spare. The winter set consisted of five coaches (two of the standards 821-4 being omitted) and a single locomotive, which if I remember correctly was at the Dublin end of the set.

In theory and at the very start of the revamped Enterprise Hunslet service these were the summer and winter formations.In reality,as with most things on NIR,the formations changed for all sorts of reasons.The Hunslet's were soon used for many other duties,including PW and excursions!This thus led to the Enterprise service suffering,with the 2 locomotives on one train more often than not being reduced to 1 locomotive and 6 coaches in push/pull fashion.The Hunslet's probably suffered from the poor reliability of the DH locomotives and thus were called upon to do tasks the DH's were meant to do but not capable of doing.

With regards the winter formation,although usually the Hunslet would be at the Dublin end of the train,mainly because the coaches would be shunted into the platform at Great Victoria Street and the Hunslet would follow in and pull them to Dublin,this was not always the case and on numerous occasions the set was pushed to Dublin.

Nostalgia,a maroon Hunslet with maroon and blue coaches was the Enterprise for me

Any suggestions for a model of 911 / Nir gen van?

Ooooh. Brake First Corridor - the Bachy one, fill in 4 main windows, and two sidelights, add porthole window, etched vent grilles, panel off the corridor connection, prime, sand, prime, sand, send to anto to paint and decal. Eezy peezy. Throw up some photos to let us see your progress..=)):cheers: Richie.

Ooooh. Brake First Corridor - the Bachy one, fill in 4 main windows, and two sidelights, add porthole window, etched vent grilles, panel off the corridor connection, prime, sand, prime, sand, send to anto to paint and decal. Eezy peezy. Throw up some photos to let us see your progress..=)):cheers: Richie.

Sounds a doddle ;):)

Go on spoil yourself it's Xmas :-bd. working on 20 mk2's as we speak. Actually Dave has my maroon Hunslet. He gave me a kit to build but I'm that busy I gave him mine with fully working side and head lights. So I've one to build for myself again must be the last MIR kit out there. I'm going to do her in NIR light blue 101 so I can double head her with 103. I also have 102 in her last livery of dark blue