Amiens Street Terminus

Rate this topic

Admin

As Glenderg aptly described a few posts back, I'm taking a 'gardening' approach. Half an hour here, an hour there :)

It's amazing how the time adds up, and even an hour can make a big difference to the layout :)

Plus I have modelbaseboard Dave putting me under pressure now, building a vast bridge over the stairwell, only to add a vast viaduct and return loop and fiddle yard!

All going well, I'll be able to run trains in circles by Christmas :)

Actually one little 'tip' I'm happy to share....

In the earlier days, I found myself having too much fun opening stock boxes and playing trains :)

So, about two months back, I disconnected all the sections and haven't re-done the wiring yet ;)

The result is that, as it's about 15 minutes work to hook up all the sections and blocks again, the whole thing has been unpowered for 8 weeks, and I actually make progress :)

That said, I haven't yet laid any new sections, as that would require the wiring live again to verify shorts :)

I'd highly recommend that if you have work / scenics to crack on with - hide the transformer :):)

Actually one little 'tip' I'm happy to share....

In the earlier days, I found myself having too much fun opening stock boxes and playing trains :)

So, about two months back, I disconnected all the sections and haven't re-done the wiring yet ;)

The result is that, as it's about 15 minutes work to hook up all the sections and blocks again, the whole thing has been unpowered for 8 weeks, and I actually make progress :)

That said, I haven't yet laid any new sections, as that would require the wiring live again to verify shorts :)

I'd highly recommend that if you have work / scenics to crack on with - hide the transformer :):)

It would be easier to get alcoholics to work in a brewery and not drink the contents that get us lot to hide the transformer =))=))=))

Bare and looking a little nude, but thought it would share how Dave crossed a 7 foot wide, top of the attic stairwell gap, giving me full use of the attic for layout!! :):)

If you have a wierd space, if you're not sure what to do, if you don't think a baseboard is possible!! ..... you know who to call! (Dave :) )

IMG_4200.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

IMG_4197.jpg

IMG_4196.jpg

IMG_4195.jpg

A microswitch in the closing hinge of the bridge will control power to the entire mainline section, the entire bridge and at least 3 feet either side of the wall :)

Bridge open, no power, bridge closed, power :)

That's the theory anyway :)

Your bridge is a great idea, looking forward to seeing it operational. I am interested in your micro switch as I would like to use one on my layout, can you provide more details please?

Basically, the microswitch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_snap-action_switch will sit on the dropping section, so that when the bridge drops away, the switch loses contact.

The entire bridge section and the previous track segment (outside the walls) are one isolateed section. Power to them runs through the microswitch.

So, if the bridge is open, the circuit is broken and there is no power to the entire section and for 3-4 feet beyond the bridge entrance walls.

Bridge closed, switch closed, circuit is powered.

The bridge is easily enough accessed, so I plan to lay the woodlands foam and lay the track as normal on top.

Power will be fed from the 'outside' sides of the bridge looped through the microswitch so no need to drill the bridge.

The whole lot then will, in time, be ballasted in and painted up to look like a concrete structure :)

heirflick - a bit of both, tho DartStation of this parish is to blame for the seed of the idea :):) And you are dead right about the dream and the lucky bit :):)

I think I have a pair of micro switches, I deffo have one, I have a dig in the workshop tomorrow. Your both welcome to them.

Thanks Dave for the kind offer, I was looking on the internet, £1.60 including postage, where as postage from your location would probably cost more. Thanks anyway.