Amiens Street Terminus

Rate this topic

Admin

Sorry to change the subject lads, one for Boskonay and Anto regarding the kadee uncouplers...

I got some of the 3mm cube magnets but I'm having trouble getting them to work reliably. Like yourselves I placing them 4 in a row between the sleepers, but polarity-wise which way do you have them facing? I also think I may have them a little low, I have them sitting on the underlay and I'm using code 100 track so I reckon I might need to shim them.

Any tips?

Have you a kadee gauge to check height? I found some of mine where too low and would catch on the magnet. Once I adjust all the Kadees to the same height, they work well.

I also saw a tip online for putting in multiple rows of magnets to create a larger uncoupling area

Have you a kadee gauge to check height? I found some of mine where too low and would catch on the magnet. Once I adjust all the Kadees to the same height, they work well.

I also saw a tip online for putting in multiple rows of magnets to create a larger uncoupling area

Yeah I have the gauge, and all my uncouplers work perfectly with the Kadee magnets that I have already installed. I was having more luck with the cube magnets when I placed them with their poles facing upwards, but you you're just placing them with the poles horizontal and the magnets stuck together am I right?

Hmm, yep, so far I'm sticking 4 in a row and slotting the 'brick' into the sleeper gap. It works by pushing the couplers apart very well.

What kind of problems are you seeing?

I wonder would poles up make them more effective.... (will try!)

The NEM Kadess seem to work ok most of the time. But the magnets are'nt pushing the draft box Kadees over far enough to use the delayed uncoupling. They open fine and you can uncouple stock though.

I do think I need to bring the magnets closer to the top of the rail though, they seema tad low with the code 100 track.

There are also 3mm cylinder type, which would let you glue them in place with the poles facing vertically?

I have seen the same issue with the delayed uncoupling not working reliably, so i've just put magnets in each siding, rather that at the throat locations. (with the cost of these things, you can almost put them everywhere!)

I'll try a multi-row install today and see if it helps.

Complete with gentle incline to meet Cross Landing Canyon Bridge, cement terminus on the left, Carraigmore Viaduct spanning the as yet un-named valley, and a lifting section to retain access to the storage end....

Can't recommend Dave highly enough - in real terms, he was cheaper than trying to do it myself (badly) and I'm left with baseboards that truly look like pieces of furniture!

At the moment, there will be sweeping hillside both sides of it, sweeping down to the valley floor where maybe a river and country lane will intersect it. The viaduct itself it beautifully finished, so much so that I'm thinking of painting and weathering it as it is, as a concrete structure...

At the moment, there will be sweeping hillside both sides of it, sweeping down to the valley floor where maybe a river and country lane will intersect it. The viaduct itself it beautifully finished, so much so that I'm thinking of painting and weathering it as it is, as a concrete structure...

Sounds good!:tumbsup:

On the subject of the magnetic uncouplers, I was experimenting with them again last night and managed to get the delayed uncoupling to work, albeit not 100% reliably.

I ended up removing 1 sleeper and placing 3 magnets, poles facing up, in a row. You won't get them right next to each other as they repel, but you just push them as close as possible.

I'll be working late so will have to post some pics later on.

Hmm, I'm waiting on the glue to go off on a two row option, will test that shortly also...

I did'nt have much luck with that myself!

I was able to work quicker as I was using a small metal plate to hold them temporalily in place, which is handy for rearranging them into different configurations.

Like I said I'll post some pics later.

stunning work!

It was one of the inspirations :)

Tho cladding this monster in stone might cause me to lose the rest of me hair ;)

Could I make a suggestion Stephen. Richie has done a fabulous job on a lot of the structures. It may be worth finishing the decorative part of the viaduct in a similar fashion and thus keeping it in appearance with the rest of the structures on the layout. Hat's off to Dave for his amazing woodwork it is something special to behold.

Rich,

steven ..get glenderg to do some printed stone sheets!

I didn't see your post Seamus as I was compiling my own and putting up the Christmas tree at the same time so apologies for duplication, but we obviously have the same train of thought on this subject.

Rich,

112 is readying herself in the shed (stunning MSB sound and all!) Her rake including the just outfitted DBSO are prepped and ready for trials :) The per way team are on overtime from now to year end to get the mainline finished all the way around!!!! (no pressure!! :)_ )

On the stone - I know! I'll consult with Glenderg tomorrow :)

112 is readying herself in the shed (stunning MSB sound and all!) Her rake including the just outfitted DBSO are prepped and ready for trials :) The per way team are on overtime from now to year end to get the mainline finished all the way around!!!! (no pressure!! :)_ )

On the stone - I know! I'll consult with Glenderg tomorrow :)

Forget the pressure, take some time out and play trains. If you get a chance some video of the sound fitted loco in service would be very much appreciated. The leveling feet on the baseboards are an essential for good running and Dave's work is stunning. You're a lucky boy.

Rich,

Amazing piece of infrastructure you have there. Tunnels, cross canyon/stairway bridge and a curved arched viaduct. Jealous much! Hats off to Dave and his workmanship :tumbsup: Cant wait to see services running on the mainline on this layout. The viaduct gives it a real 3 dimensional element i reckon. Something i want to have on my own layout when it gets built. Inspirational stuff