Amiens Street Terminus

Rate this topic

Admin

Just a reminder too, if you want to just browse the photos http://amiensstreet.com

Just had a quick peek at this Stephen while I had a few minutes to spare. A fantastic resource and a wealth of information. I also love the text as it is as interesting to me as the photos. Everything is explained to the reader in a way that you get a feel for the layouts full potential. I know what my plans are for tonight.

Rich,

Thanks lads, I'm humbled really as I realy don't consider myself a \modeller\ yet :)

Cheers Thump - I've been using single and double rows of 4 3x3x3 cubes myself - good to know I'm on the right track ;) I've found even a single row works very reliably, but the uncoupling 'window' is very short (which can be a good thing). For points that I can't easily see, I'll use double or triple row (for loco release locations especially).

lol - I'm not sure what number she is myself any more :) Blame Anthony :) I 'think' she's 189 :)

You should ask the driver to give the number a rub with his oily rag in the morning before shunting duties start. Keep up the great work mate loving watching/reading this thread. :tumbsup:I had baseboard Dave up the other day giving me ideas also.

:praying::praying::praying:

You should ask the driver to give the number a rub with his oily rag in the morning before shunting duties start. :

I dont think a rub with an oily rag will do much for 189. The next time she gets cleaned up will be before the new logo goes on!!

image-4092129422.jpg

I dont think a rub with an oily rag will do much for 189. The next time she gets cleaned up will be before the new logo goes on!!

She'll never be cleaned up. When I weathered that loco for Boskonay the idea behind it was that she is near the end of her days and spends most of her time now sitting on a siding beside Boskonay's Connolly shed as a last resort shunter when there is nothing else available. But there are a couple of the older drivers have a big soft spot for her and she gets her fair share of work around the yard :o

Cue the graffiti about "ole girls"....!

Having seen the mess made of one of NIRs GMs by neancderthal graffitists some years ago, and a horrible similar job on at least one IE loco and I think, a DART; while i would happily strap the "artists" to the track in front of the "Enterprise" (after they'd been made to clean it off!), I have to say the look of a heavily weathered or vandalised loco on a layout is quite interesting! That one looks amazing, a superb job of artwork in itself.

Been hard at work on doubling up the mainline loop so I can then get stuck into soldering the mainline bus. The bus 'starts' at roughly the midpoint of the terminus board, and takes feeds left into the Terminus and Right into the yards. I will add two more loops here, one heading off left to the viaduct and the other heading out right to the stairwell. In time, each district can then be powered by its own booster / circuit breaker. I'm also running separate DCC buses for Accessories / Motors and for Lighting control..

At the risk of feeling buried in cables and solder, here's 071 posing crossing the viaduct with a short rake of Guinness cages (empties)

IMG_4655.jpg

Bosko -

Cheap and easy method - packet of long slim paper clips - 33mm version, in Eason for a Yoro. Trim off ends so it looks like an L shape to 22mm. Repeat about 100 times. Mark off your upright locations on the viaduct - 24mm centres (old compass is the easiest) and drill 0.8 mm holes at each point, about 6mm down the face of the viaduct. Superglue the first and last ones in and check for plumb - the 20 second stuff is great for this. Fit the other uprights, but don't glue. Get a roll of really good quality thread and tie it to the first stanchion, wrap it around the entire viaduct, and tie to the final upright when you have the gaps right. Usually about 4mm between each one. Repeat this for the other three lines, and when you are happy with the gaps, glue the first and last and then start glueing the stanchions to the viaduct and to the rails, checking for plumb as you go. Best to fix every five or so, and then "line isteach na bearnai". It should take about an hour in total to do the lot.

There are other ways of doing this like using coarse fishing line & high E guitar string, and scoring the uprights at every 4mm to save sanity, using cocktail sticks/matches if scale isn't an issue. Long list.

Irish viaduct railings are generally 4 rails like dis one.

DSCF1120.jpg

Richie.