David's Workbench

Rate this topic

David Holman

Thanks, Paul.

In the revised edition of Patterson's book on the Swilly, he quoted a Mr H S Irvine as saying that in 1948, No4 was black, lined in yellow with the number 4 on both the bunker and bufferbeams. 

Norman Johnson's Narrow Gauge in Colour shows No2 in 1953 and the tank sides appear the same colour as the smokebox: black, lined in yellow with red buffer beams, while the rods are black. It has the LSR lozenge on the tank side, whereas pictures in the 1940s still have the LBER initials on the tanks.

Much as I really like the Swilly dark green (and the colour picture in NJs book of No5 shows it to be very dark), my preferred period is the mid 1940s, where all the evidence this far points to black.

Ultimately, suspect that with a light coating of grime, it will be hard for anyone to tell the difference, but when I do one of the Pacific tanks, hopefully it can have the dark green.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Thanks, Paul.

In the revised edition of Patterson's book on the Swilly, he quoted a Mr H S Irvine as saying that in 1948, No4 was black, lined in yellow with the number 4 on both the bunker and bufferbeams. 

Norman Johnson's Narrow Gauge in Colour shows No2 in 1953 and the tank sides appear the same colour as the smokebox: black, lined in yellow with red buffer beams, while the rods are black. It has the LSR lozenge on the tank side, whereas pictures in the 1940s still have the LBER initials on the tanks.

Much as I really like the Swilly dark green (and the colour picture in NJs book of No5 shows it to be very dark), my preferred period is the mid 1940s, where all the evidence this far points to black.

Ultimately, suspect that with a light coating of grime, it will be hard for anyone to tell the difference, but when I do one of the Pacific tanks, hopefully it can have the dark green.

Interesting David. I was staring very hard at that picture an hour ago, willing it to be green! But I think you’re right - it’s black really….

• Informative 1

28 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Thanks, Paul.

This is correct - they did use black latterly! Plus, the green was in fact so dark that weathering and grime would have made it look black even if it was green. Bit like GNR blue domes, CDRJC red domes, and GSR / CIE grey livery - the all-enveloping smoke, coal dust, soot and oil patina that covered a hard-working steam engine almost made the actual livery invisible...

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Red primer, followed by 'go faster' matt black rattle can, then the order from Laurie Griffin Miniatures arrived, enabling me to do most of the cab detailing, though it still needs the reversing lever, crew, glazing and so on. This gave time for the top coats to harden & then it was a case of girding up the loins to do lettering and numbering.

DSCN5703.thumb.jpeg.029127a84ba00b788c02cb47ec1bd039.jpeg

Quite high up on my list of things I don't like much - mainly because it is so easy to spoil all the previous hard work...

Anyway, managed to find some nice HMRS pressfix transfers for the buffer beam numbers [L&SWR shaded], while a set of waterslide letters & numbers provided most of the L&BER [Letterkenny and Burtonport Extension Railway] that the Barclays seemed to carry for much of their existence. Unfortunately, couldn't find an 'ampersand' on any of my transfer sheets, so have cobbled two together from a couple of '3's. Annoyingly, the lettering transfers have a very noticeable carrier film on them & though I've managed to cut most of this away, only time [& some weathering] will tell if the appearance is acceptable.

And then there was the lining! Wasted an hour or so this morning with some nice looking lining from a Fox Transfer sheet, but this must have been sitting around for a while as it broke up into [very] short pieces, every time I tried to apply it. Better luck with the inverted corner pieces, though again, turned out there were not enough on the sheet to do the corners of the bunker. Such is life - so it was a case of out with the bow pen & some suitable enamel paint. Swilly loco lining seemed to vary quite a lot over the years, particularly the Barclays. At various time they had none, a double yellow line with rounded corners, or a single yellow line with inverted corners, the latter being what I've done. A VERY useful tip from Ian Rathbone's book on the subject is that, by using a very fine brush, moistened with enamel thinners,  any imperfections can be [fairly] easily removed. Took a while [because there were quite few], but so far, so good.

It hasn't turned out too badly and [fingers crossed], a bit of light weathering will hide the worst of the blemishes. Still a fair bit to do mind, not least making sure the chassis works well when mated with the body, but the photos hopefully give a reasonable impression of what the finished loco might look like. The smokebox handrails need straightening though!

DSCN5702.thumb.jpeg.5c221b6c7cfc29f8f844cf44774c399b.jpeg

DSCN5704.thumb.jpeg.11555a2324cf08d49eb6fba6bbbc0dc6.jpeg

DSCN5705.thumb.jpeg.f582576425abebacf3de09c6219989a2.jpeg

• Like 9
  • WOW! 8

Still work in progress, single lines aren't too bad. Rathbone's book is full of helpful information and in many ways, lining with a pen can take less time than using transfers. Have managed to get rid of most of the marks made by Decalfix in the same way as cutting back paint blobs. However, thinners will not remove white gel pen (dots to mark the corners), so these have been carefully covered with matt black and a fine brush - one to remember...

Still not sure about the lettering, which may be too big, so am hoping a light weathering will help tone it all down. Locos rarely look good to me in solid black, probably because a couple days out the paint shop they no longer were.

• Like 4

It’s looking great David. Transfers can be frustrating but I think they will bed in. What I have sometimes done in such eventualities is to put a coat of gloss varnish to even the finish and then knock back with weathering. As you will know from your BR modelling days, a differentiation in finish around numbers and crests on working locos was not unusual, reflecting how a hard pressed cleaner might focus on ensuring that, although the remainder of the loco might be careworn, at least the number and ‘branding’ shone through. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently awaiting a few things to finish off the Barclay [eg crew, builder's plates] & don't want to do the weathering just yet either. However, have added some coal to the bunker, plus the ever present jack and toolbox on the front footplate. Therefore felt it worth posing the loco with my Swilly coach and wagon on Fintonagh, as shown below.

DSCN5706.thumb.jpeg.01d49542a2995d8183eb5da7eaa18b37.jpeg

This week, attention has turned to providing the rest of the mixed train that will go with the Barclay, along with trying to address the thorny topic of which couplings to use.

Alphagraphix were able to supply me with the Swilly open wagon kit in the picture above, along with half a dozen Donegal 9' wagon chassis and a card kit of a Swilly 'large van'. However, Swilly wagons all seem to be on 8' wheel bases, so a bit of adapting has been required.

Decided I wanted two large vans to go with the open [& brake coach], so as I've been doing for several years now, used the card kit as a basis for making body sides and ends from plastic sheet. For anyone who has never scratch built stock before, a van is a good place to start. The sides are just two rectangles; the ends the same, but with curved tops. I've used 40thou plastic sheet,  marked & then scribed to represent the planking. Wagon doors are two more rectangles done the same way, then the various different bits of strapping are made from 40x40/60/80 thou strip. The floor is a rectangle of 80thou sheet. The various stages are shown below., though only one side and end [of one van] has been done so far. The white metal chassis has had a scale foot cut from the middle and six inches from each end to fit the Swilly vans; brake gear is yet to be fitted.

DSCN5708.thumb.jpeg.be615556105f0ec521aa269792f33165.jpeg

DSCN5709.thumb.jpeg.7e984eb33610ddc662529fef39b09ea9.jpeg

DSCN5714.jpeg.e0e214e0fc80c75f4a48aa0ae86eac7b.jpeg

The question of which couplings to use has caused much head scratching over the last few weeks. Have been using Kadees on Fintonagh [ok, but not perfect] but the change to 2'7 wheels compared to the Clogher's 2' diameter have needed a change of plan. Tried 0 gauge Kadees, but they look too big and the in track uncoupling magnets are grabbing at the steel wheels. Did consider using Kadee S scale couplings, because size wise they look better, but the magnet problem remains, while they only seem available direct from the USA, with high postage costs...

Plan B was to use Zamzoodleds, which are correct profile, narrow gauge 'chopper' couplings. However, these are currently not available, plus they are relatively expensive too. So to Plan C.

Looking at the chopper couplings, it seemed to me that they are not a million miles from a bog standard 'tension lock', especially in slimline form. A bit of research on the web suggested that it should be possible to make them uncouple with electromagnets, while they are much cheaper than Kaydees or Zamzoodleds. Would have happily used Alex Jacksons, now I've got used to them, but these need standard buffers on all stock which don't exist on narrow gauge.

Nevertheless the AJ concept helps, because, by soldering a piece of steel wire [paper clip] to the hinged coupling hook, facing backwards into the wagon chassis, this can then be acted on by a below track electro-magnet [Dingham type from the Gauge 0 Guild], enabling remote uncoupling. A basic set up is shown below. Still work in progress, but the principle seems ok.

DSCN5710.thumb.jpeg.afc4f3bc287ed7d71c7bb741f6064754.jpeg

DSCN5711.thumb.jpeg.a1eda61e3af0a19de27907c79cb6e810.jpeg

DSCN5712.thumb.jpeg.90aa5f6fd83e2640604cf69c4d5517c1.jpeg

A further issue with all types of 'hook and bar' type couplings is that they are 'handed' with a hook and loop one end and just a loop at the other. When your layout has both a loco turntable and a turntable fiddle yard, this really causes problems as you soon find you have two hooks [or two loops], face to face. However, have now managed to solve this, as if you have just loops at each end of all locos, then all that is needed is a 'barrier wagon', with hooks at both ends, for those times when two loops are facing each other.

To go through an entire sequence, would take far too long to explain, but over 3-4 sequences the Barclay, with the two vans I'm building, plus the open wagon [which will have hooks at both ends] can arrive, swap one van/wagon with one from a siding, turn the engine and depart. No doubt it will give operators [me included] a bit of brain ache, but with just these vehicles to worry about, shouldn't be too complex. Hopefully. The other Swilly train I want to build will just involve one of the Kerr Stuart pacific tanks and two coaches, so hooks at each end of these and just loop on the loco is all that is needed.

Cunning plan, Baldrick...

Also have to mention the small matter of Ipswich 1, Maidstone United 2.  The Stones are  4 leagues and 96 places below Ipswich in the football pyramid, but despite the latter have 38 shots on target to Maidstone's two,  my local team prevailed and are now through to the 5th round of the FA Cup!

Magic.

• Like 11
  • WOW! 1

That Barclay has real presence David. I have to say it looks very comfortable on Fintonagh.

I always enjoy following your rolling stock builds. Having seen some of your creations in the flesh (at Cultra on at least 2 occasions), the end products are very fine indeed. Using card kits as blueprints/drawings is a great idea which I hope to try. I bought some 4mm Alphagraphix wagon card kits a while back but found them difficult to build in that scale - the smaller pieces were nearly impossible to cut out neatly. 

Some good solutions to coupling problems. The modified tension lock couplers look like a viable proposition. Keep us posted!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks chaps. Must do a comparison of Swilly, Donegal and Clogher stock, though I know that Sligo wagons are not much longer than Clogher ones and only a foot or so wider. 

Came across the couplings idea while doing an online trawl. Paper clip wire (or something fairly fine) is important for the actuating "tail", to make sure it's overall weight doesn't permanently lift up the hook. At the moment, can't see any way of doing delayed uncoupling, as per Kadee or AJ, but hopefully the shunting moves on Fintonagh won't need this feature. That, or I'll need a lot more electro-magnets!

As for Alphagraphix card kits, Alan, have never tried making one but am sure they would be pretty fiddly in 4mm scale and am convinced it would be almost impossible to make Railcar 2b in card - way too many complex curves! They make a great starting point for scratchbuilding in plastic, but worth checking dimensions as the Sligo cattle wagon is definitely on the small side.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That locomotive has real presence and looks well in-situ; when seen with other stock and on the rails, it gives an indication of how big it was for a narrow gauge loco.  Lovely project!

The sequence of photos from image, to sheet, to wagon is impressive, and does have a "ta-da" feel to it. 

As to the couplings, I rather like the idea of the barrier wagon - the S&W couplings I use are handed, so you end up in bind if you turn the loco, as you said "Cunning plan Baldrick!"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

He did Paul, and must admit I thought Reseau Breton stock had side buffers, but they did indeed work with a combined centre buffer/coupling.

Hmmm!

Have emailed the good Mr G to see how he made the centre buffer, though suspect something could be readily fabricated from U channel brass for the shank and sheet (with a slot in it) for buffing face. And AJs look like they should fit underneath, so thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by David Holman
  • Like 1

Thought it would be interesting to compare Clogher Valley, Swilly and Sligo stock. The first picture, below, shows a Clogher and Swilly open alongside each other. Apart from the CVR's smaller wheels, there is not a lot between them

DSCN5716.thumb.jpeg.d41ae3b3eed4332a6104d0958951b08b.jpeg

However, when we look at a van from each railway, the Swilly one certainly looks a lot bigger, while the third picture has a Sligo Leitrim 5'3 gauge van between them, which is actually about the same size as the narrow gauge Swilly van - albeit about a foot wider.

DSCN5717.thumb.jpeg.ccbe75d75f959b9bc06d3cbfc8265d8c.jpeg

DSCN5720.thumb.jpeg.39ce3538cab1bd0e655203bbd9571d44.jpeg

Next, we have a Swilly Brake 3rd alongside a CVR 3rd class, end balcony coach. The latter's smaller wheels again mean it sits lower, though overall dimensions are about the same.

DSCN5718.thumb.jpeg.3bc431021b83ba79a2069e521a09e16f.jpeg

Finally, we have a CVR 0-4-2T tram loco next to the Barclay 4-6-0T. The former were chunky little locos, especially with their side skirts, but the Barclay is much closer to a standard gauge loco, even though height and width are about the same.

DSCN5719.thumb.jpeg.801f1f19527d8986af7af89ab39f07f1.jpeg

As for couplings, though I toyed with Plan C - using AJs under dummy chopper couplings, but have decided to go with modified slimline tension locks. While using AJs would have enabled delayed action uncoupling, hiding them under the choppers would not make seeing what was going on very easy, plus I can get away without the need for delayed action anyway. In addition, slimline tension locks only need a piece of paperclip soldering to the hook to make them work, whereas using AJs and dummy choppers required another half dozen bits to be fabricated, along with are the setting up and adjusting.

Hopefully more pictures at the weekend.

• Like 11
  • WOW! 3

Getting closer to a Swilly mixed train, with the completion of three wagons to go with my brake 3rd coach. The open wagon is an Alphagraphix resin cast kit, the other two are my scratchbuilt 5 ton vans. Lettering is white gel pen and weathering is various powders.

DSCN5733.jpeg.8b0af434fa06f4164a868a86719e2c22.jpeg

DSCN5735.jpeg.84866d5e35b1a2403a2efb8be037b979.jpeg

DSCN5736.thumb.jpeg.1c1027bd932e35e1f0c6ef014d713e7a.jpeg

Couplings remain work in progress, but have been experimenting further with narrow tension locks, adapting them by joggling the hook so [because there is just a loop at the other end], it sits fairly central. In an effort to give them more of a narrow gauge 'chopper' look, have added circles of plasticard to the buffing plate, though am thinking these could be thicker. Dropper wires, so they can be worked by electro-magnets, are yet to be fitted - indeed, this will probably have to wait until Fintonagh's final outing in CVR form at the Eastleigh show in April.

DSCN5722.jpeg.122dd79eb19a04c468e5e81c5d6727da.jpeg

DSCN5723.jpeg.9a34e3aa240b2fa7f3eeee602c628809.jpeg

DSCN5724.jpeg.17b3c8618565f878fdb221ceab208f6e.jpeg

So, the mixed train sequence will go something like this: the Barclay, two vans and a coach arrive in the platform. The loco uncouples and then goes to the turntable. After, it picks up the open wagon [hooks both ends, just loops on the loco], from the siding, then uses this to shunt the two vans into the platform headshunt.

DSCN5726.thumb.jpeg.21fc57245d53557f7795b365baeb3da7.jpeg

DSCN5727.thumb.jpeg.227efd93b69009c0342aecd7473a6ca3.jpeg

DSCN5728.thumb.jpeg.aff21679c413e8cccf8f83bda87b2428.jpeg

Running round the coach, the loco and wagon can then pick up the two vans and move one of them to the loading bay, before uniting again with the coach in the platform, ready for departure.

DSCN5730.thumb.jpeg.e36a7967d19c3cfc470658562e4c2b8e.jpeg

DSCN5732.thumb.jpeg.0c7bfeccfb8bc88a67500421679af4e1.jpeg

Am still to gird up my loins to get the Barclay finished, because I haven't  painted the crew yet and am still waiting for the builder's plates to arrive. That, plus I really do have to be in the mood to get the air brush out!

• Like 6
  • WOW! 3

Lovely stuff David. The rolling stock is looking suitably care-worn. Very convincing. 

The movement sequence sounds good and would be interesting to do and to watch. That the layout can support movements like these is a fair indication of the thought put in at the layout planning stage. 

Many thanks folks - as ever.

Gordon sent me some interesting info about the Reseau Breton - which had a single centre buffer, but with screw link coupling underneath, something which even a man of his undoubted skills was reluctant to  replicate. Hence he uses Alex Jacksons on Pempoul & sent me the photos below showing how he did it.

Needless to say, they are just the highest quality. Look at the third picture which shows how he fitted AJs around vacuum brake gear and other underfloor clutter. Stunning!

P1010353.jpeg.50bba11d3a34fa68503092f11491665d.jpeg

P1060412.jpeg.8f0874638a866c84b2cf0d2e73c83f6e.jpeg

IMG_1032.jpeg.cd51139bda15df4cab740e025afeeee5.jpeg

• Like 7
  • WOW! 2

Yes Alan, it is on loan to a museum of model railways near Ashford in Kent - a project started by Cliff Parsons of Gresley Beat fame. Several other gems too. Gordon has since moved on to a couple of cameo projects: Arun Quay - a stunningly atmospheric shunting yard, based in Sussex and now a new Reseau Breton project which is just as good as anything he's done in the past.

Makes my efforts look very ordinary, but always inspirational in everything he does.

Edited by David Holman
  • Like 4

I’ve seen Pempoul live (Railex Aylesbury)and it’s breathtaking- I actually think it’s better than Arun Quay in many ways - although on reflection I think they are stylistically different layouts. The RB stuff is closer to draughtmanship, whilst AQ is more at the Monet end of the artistic spectrum perhaps…..and anyway I’d hardly describe pioneering SLNC modelling as ‘ordinary’…..still remember the day I walked round a corner at Beaconsfield show and saw the Sprinks book and Railcar B stories of my childhood alive in front of me ! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4

I saw it at York show many years ago. If my memory is still working properly it was a 6 hour round trip to see it. Worth it though. I have the Oakwood pressure book some where as I had a idea to do something like it but it never got any further than reading the book.

First met Gordon and Maggie at the Chatham Show, sometime in the early '90s. In those days, club members were asked if they cost host a couple of exhibitors. We'd had Barry Norman a couple of years earlier, but knew little about the Gravetts. Next day, was treated to Ditchling Green and our exhibition manager commented that 'You went down well last night'. Reason? A bottle of wine was ready and open when they came through the door and have been privileged to be friends ever since!

Gordon really is a master craftsman, able to turn his hand to anything, while Maggie is very talented too, some of the buildings on Pempoul are hers.

Genuinely nice people too.

• Like 3

Early last year, Alphagraphix kindly supplied me with a range of discontinued kits and castings for Swilly and Donegal projects.  Among them were two resin and white metal kits of Donegal wagons, which I've finally got around to doing more work on. I'd put the major parts together, but before I went further, it seemed a good idea to try and find out what they were representing - I know, impetuosity can be a middle name...

As far as I can tell, the high sided one is a transhipment wagon, designed for easier movement of coal and minerals, with the body able to be transferred to a suitable broad gauge wagon via rollers and the mixed gauge turntable at Strabane. The one plank, dropside wagon is shown carrying an Austin Seven and as I happen to have a model of one of these, it will make a nice load.

DSCN5739.jpeg.383f914e6d3386813aa98c387d0a6cef.jpeg

DSCN5740.jpeg.5d4ec478e8a8aa372347cb7e57e2644b.jpeg

Finishing the one plank only required the addition of brake gear, but I'd made several mistakes with the transhipment wagon, not least that the wheel base should be shorter. However, getting the castings apart without damaging them looked difficult. On top of that the cast resin body is 18 inches too short.

DSCN5545.thumb.jpeg.c5f626eb74a60bf0195c3a7174385abe.jpeg

DSCN5546.thumb.jpeg.ad44b261881b860b43070754e85bddcf.jpeg

After a bit of thought, the solution has been to chop off each end of the wagon and insert two nine inch sections to make the overall length right - though the wheelbase remains too long, so I will have to live with that.

DSCN5737.thumb.jpeg.69454a5fbc2b74a6dff1fb08f5cac221.jpeg

DSCN5738.thumb.jpeg.76c1e06b31773edb19287e0fa51f93cc.jpeg

After a bit of sanding and scribing in the plank lines, a spray of grey primer is all that is needed for the body livery, while lettering is the usual white gel pen. Couplings still need fitting, while I need to make some more coal dust and decide how the Austin should be secured.

DSCN5742.jpeg.024a6488c9bdff5ff2b614da36a56feb.jpeg

DSCN5741.jpeg.db92545ad30384186f37d2bfe20c5fd3.jpeg

• Like 11
  • WOW! 1