David's Workbench

Rate this topic

David Holman

1 hour ago, David Holman said:

On Fintonagh, using Kadees and rare earth magnets, you have to spot a 3mm 'window' from up to 2m away...

Perseverance very much the key!

As I have found, this is -with practice and your markers- a relatively easy task until a small crowd has gathered around the layout, at which point the magnets seem to vanish into another dimension... 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...

E class working chassis

Having got a nice rolling chassis, the next job is to take everything off again to fit the motor gearbox. Time was it would have been one of the Mashimas, but now it is a Canon motor, prefitted to a Premier gearbox. Still a nice combination, especially compared to making up an etched box, because all the work is done for you.

A worthwhile tip when fitting the wheels is to file a flat on the driven axle to make the main gear more secure.. After that, it is a case of soldering a couple of fly leads to the motor and then putting all the wheels and rods back again for another test. This revealed a slight tight spot entailing the coupling rods being removed for a third time, just to open out the holes a fraction, after which all seems well and with power applied to the motor a nice, slow crawl is possible.

DSCN5331.thumb.jpeg.5f86dde62445b22afd9cdacfb124926a.jpeg

The next job was to fit the brake gear. This is one of those tasks that is a bit of a pet hate. Etched kits almost always mean you have to make up the brake shoes in two or more layers & [apart from cost], I can never understand why moulded plastic ones aren't supplied - not least because it would take far less time to fit them AND you could get them closer to the wheels without risking a short. Yes, there are ways and I will put a smear of superglue on the brake surfaces to help, but brake gear really isn't my favourite pastime.

DSCN5332.thumb.jpeg.0fd6b18edb8c27ebec836931f137a583.jpeg

DSCN5333.thumb.jpeg.23c312f0f774c4f8155e45385158ad6c.jpeg

DSCN5334.thumb.jpeg.2bcd2f3b5ff6855744baecfeb9566580.jpeg

DSCN5335.thumb.jpeg.39a5fc9bb59832b563b679a785cf6a43.jpeg

The other things fitted today were the guard irons, after which the chassis was taken apart yet again, to be cleaned up and given a coat of primer. Fingers crossed, once a coat of matt black has also been applied that should be the last time it needs to come apart - though you never know! This latest work took about three hours over the weekend, bringing the total up to 13 so far.

DSCN5336.thumb.jpeg.9068afef80c9576139fa05446aeb97a6.jpeg

• Like 12

Looking good David. I'm with you on brake gear and the dangers of shorting - not my favourite task either. In fact, whisper it, one or two of my kit builds never got their brakes fitted. On a few others I played it so safe, a 4mm scale fitter could probably get his head between brake pad and wheel tread.

In 4mm, Gibsons do a small range of plastic brake shoes, intended to address the shorting issue and I've begun to look at those as an alternative to the supplied etched bits.

Despite the difficulties, the brakes on your E Class look like they could actually stop it, rather than wave around in the general vicinity of the wheels so job done.

Please keep posting. I've looked with interest at those Alphagraphix kits so it's great to see one going together so nicely.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

After a coat of matt black, the chassis has been reassembled & now the paint needs to harden for a couple of days before I fit the pick ups.

DSCN5339.thumb.jpeg.1cbe169b68881011d146312e934ffd31.jpeg

That just left the boiler and smokebox as the last main section. The latter is designed for the later, J26, version which has plenty of rivets, but photos suggest in original form the E class had smooth smokeboxes so decided to file the rivets off. Unfortunately, I forgot to take photos of the assembly of both this and the boiler, though as all the etches are in .009mm thick brass curving and rolling the etches to shape is fairly straightforward, if a bit fiddly.

The smokebox wrapper is rolled round a piece of plastic water pipe, then carefully soldered to the front and rear faces. An extra hand and asbestos fingers would help, but with remarkably few rude works and some lolly sticks as insulation, it all went together fairly quickly.

DSCN5338.thumb.jpeg.3e1a52b1555f68fc90a11eb27513c44e.jpeg

DSCN5337.thumb.jpeg.223819c0b2a2566d3f69932f743c404d.jpeg

It would have been nice to have used my rolling bars to form the boiler/firebox unit, but as this is a single etch, with only the front section actually making a tube, I had to resort to various diameters of brass bar and tube instead. The same thin brass is used, so most of the forming took place quickly, though where holes had been etched for the chimney and dome, this caused problems as the metal tried to kink at these points. An hour of trial and error eventually sorted it though. A circle of brass is supplied to solder inside the rolled tube at the smokebox end, with a another piece the right shape for the firebox to go at the other.

It is then possible to use a 6BA nut and bolt to hold the boiler and smokebox units together and ensure they are correctly aligned before soldering them together. The combined unit is then slid into place and [helped by a couple of tabs to align things], also soldered in place.

A few more odds and ends then need forming and soldering, including the handrails and cylinder cover, but suddenly the superstructure is complete and the rest of the detailing is mainly white metal castings. One of the latter [a nice firebox backhead from the spares box] adds a bit more substance than the flat etch supplied with the kit. However, a couple of other details have since been soldered on - the nameplates and etched numbers. Decided on 107, Robin, as the Slater's etched numerals seemed the best fit on the sandboxes - though they were certainly a fiddly job to fit. The builder's plates on the bunker sides are actually etches of some Simplex ones I had in the scrap box. I've soldered them on upside down in the hope of further disguising the tiny lettering! About five hours over the last three days, brings the build time to 18 so far.

I've perched the chimney, dome and safety valves on the boiler for some photos and it is interesting to see how much more dainty the new loco looks against its J26 sister with the original chimney. Am currently pondering on whether to paint Robin in early MGWR green, or try the short lived blue livery, but for now work will have to take a back seat for a few days as Fintonagh is the the Orpington show over the weekend, so I will be busy with that.

DSCN5340.thumb.jpeg.522f7f1d9f4b5e4d7f1dbff1fadf7586.jpeg

DSCN5341.jpeg.f2bf8911a56da000eea30db5defa36d0.jpeg

DSCN5342.thumb.jpeg.2cf3849e5916d4deb4a4bf8c81288794.jpeg

DSCN5343.thumb.jpeg.51e677a82c9b4da3d098086c74bd34e4.jpeg

Edited by David Holman
  • Like 12
  • WOW! 6

Very nice work - your soldering is always to neat and tidy.  Is it the photo angle or does this model sit slightly lower that your 558 - the boiler appears to be pitched lower so the longer chimney does not look so obvious?

That's turning into a very nice little locomotive.

• Like 1

Thanks folks, feel rather flattered by the engineering term and indeed the neat soldering. It's better than it used to be, but appearance is mainly down to careful cleaning up - something I have needed to be good at out of necessity!

I'm with you Ken, over comparing the two locos. Have always thought the J26, pretty though it is, to be a bit chunky compared to an original E class. The only part that is different is that slender, tapered chimney, but the visual effect is marked. Even been to measure both the wheels and boiler heights to check, but they are indeed the same. A real optical illusion it seems...

Noel, the kit makes the work pretty easy, the parts all fit accurately and I reckon most modellers who can solder could put one of these together. It really would make a good starter for anyone tempted to have a go at 7mm scale, plus you could always build it in 32mm gauge.

Edited by David Holman
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, David Holman said:

Nicely put and thank you.

A variation of the "measure twice, cut once" moral... and looking at the photos, there are a couple of other tweaks required too!

Diplomacy itself indeed, as you would expect from someone of David's Calling?

Wonderful model, David H, your skills and speed astound me! Still I guess lots of practise helps?

Lovely to see the little engine in its finished brass form. It almost seems a pity to paint it! When I had a GNR AL Class built recently, I asked the builder to photograph it in its brass state as they look so nice like that.

It occurs to me that there will soon be more of these little E Class in 7mm,than ever were in  12inches to the foot?

• Like 6

Definitely three in 36.75mm gauge, Leslie. Given I have to move the rear numbers, may well change mine to 109 & Fly. No point in having two Robins when there are plenty of other names to choose from, plus Fly was at Westport in GSR days, so not a million miles from Northport - wherever that might be!

• Like 5

Three further lots of filling, filing and more primer had the E class ready for  its top coat...

... until I dropped it on the floor.

It was like what you see in films, everything in slow motion. I managed to stick a foot out to try and break the fall, but the model hit the floor chimney first. That broke off bashing in the smokebox top in the process, while the next bounce was on the left hand buffer, knocking the beam inwards.

DSCN5369.thumb.jpeg.0a00315bd32a53571a2a0dc8583a77b1.jpeg

DSCN5370.thumb.jpeg.6f304f80d906398a6c14b2ef5a0c50c6.jpeg

DSCN5371.thumb.jpeg.98482ec9ddf1ed680036e49a84196a80.jpeg

There are of course no words to describe the anguish at that point - even the rude ones were not enough, but what to do?

At least the chimney came off in one piece, but the top of the smokebox was a right mess. Being only 10thou brass, it had deformed badly with the impact and the was no way to get inside to push the dent out again. Instead, I used a piece of thick brass rod, bent into an L shape, pushed inside the small hole in the top of the smokebox and managed to ease the metal upwards a bit. However, it was never going to come back properly, so the only option was to refit the chimney and then build up the surrounding surface with more filler.

The buffer beam was less bother - a bit of tweaking with a pair of flat nosed pliers [mostly] straightened it out, followed by a bit more filler. The dome had a couple of scratches, but these at least polished out while the handrail also needed a bit of tweaking. Could have been worse I suppose.

Anyway, another couple of rounds of filler, filing and spray primer and the loco is [almost] back to where it was this morning and hopefully ready again for its green top coat. I guess about another four hours was spent on the original fettling, so, not counting bouncing the model on the floor, that brings the total time to 30 hours.

DSCN5372.thumb.jpeg.7abd47a6cba06793a69c7fffb4e68fe9.jpeg

• Like 11
  • WOW! 4

Ah David, what a thing to happen. That must’ve been hugely discouraging. I would say anguish doesn’t even begin to describe the feeling. You’ve made a great recovery though. Well done, both for fixing the damage and for recovering your composure so well. The big hammer stayed in the drawer😄

Alan

Thanks folks!

As suggested, am not too bothered about the buffer beam having a slight dent in it as such things seemed to happen quite frequently. The smokebox is still showing signs of meeting the floor, but am hoping this will disappear once a coat of dark grey (almost black) is applied there. If not, more filler may be needed.

Ordered the lining from Fox Transfers last night, so once that arrives another stress test beckons. The MGW didn't hold back when it came to lining... 

• Like 4

Commiserations, David, that you dropped your little Robin on the floor and what an amazing job of repair! You're simply in another League.

I'm now going downstairs to surround "Rosses Point" with bubble wrap and cushions - for I'm pretty ham-fisted. Mind you, once on Galteemore's track, things stay there, it's just if I do the "Hand of God" bit.

I did exactly the same with my "QL" dropping it on the floor of the attic where Portadown Junction lives - same result. Now this is where a robot with a very soft touch might come in handy?

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 1

This model is really starting to test my patience! Nothing wrong with the kit, but the gremlins are very active chez Holman it seems...

Having got the model ready for its top coat [again], I got out my Halford's Ford Garden Green rattle can [same one as I used with Wolf Dog] and, following a good shake, proceeded to spray the model. Instead of the usual fine spray, what came out was more akin to a muck spreader. Forget the fine mist, think diarrhoea! 

Sorry...

What I should have done was stop immediately and wash it off, however the coverage, though heavy, looked like it might be ok, so I carried on. The reason for this bit of madness is that it is perfectly possible to rescue a bit of heavy spraying by using T-Cut, though of course this is less effective when the paint is nearly an inch thick - ok at least a millimetre. 

Having left the model to dry for a full two days, I tried the T-Cut this morning, but it got me nowhere, so it was back to Halfords for some paint stripper and a new can of paint. Stripper, fine, but the Ford Garden Green is no longer available it seems. Told you it was trying my patience!

At the moment, option one is to spray the existing can into a container and then decant this into the side cup of my airbrush and spray it on that way - hopefully getting a decent finish. Option two is whatever alternative suggestions you good folk out there might have. I'm happy with rattle cans, but currently I can't find anything that matches Ford Garden Green = the shade I've used on Wolf Dog = MGWR green. 

Suggestions are most welcome, please and here is Fly, back in the buff, albeit needing a bit more cleaning up [and the sandbox lever straightened] before putting on the primer. Again.

DSCN5373.thumb.jpeg.f4329da971e78453a733da2c24118705.jpeg

In the meantime, I've made a start on the train for the E class. All of it already exists, starting with a Brake 3rd with a centre look out on the roof, which used to be the third coach in Wolf Dog's mail train. To go with this, I've repainted both the 4w hearse/fish van and Glasshouse Brake in MGW brown and am intending to add the gold lining also present on the Brake 3rd. Am very much hoping this is historically correct for the early 1900s as, with the lined green loco, it should make an attractive little train. So fingers crossed this is acceptable!

DSCN5374.thumb.jpeg.5994a58e166b882728b9c98d3f957021.jpeg

DSCN5375.thumb.jpeg.b1616b6fc8dcb641e813811b2e5244a5.jpeg

DSCN5376.thumb.jpeg.c1b680941b050ebbe7913e7f0b1c276c.jpeg

• Like 12
  • WOW! 3

Well, E Class "Fly" is at last looking [very] green, following the arrival of a new rattle can of RAL6001 Emerald Green. At this stage, I don't much like the first top coat, because it always looks too bright [or black]. However, am likewise alway surprised and pleased that the addition of the other colours, plus a bit of weathering, tones things down.

This is also the time when I find there is a bigger list of stuff to finish than I first thought, as you can see below:

DSCN5379.thumb.jpeg.026a5e5ce5e5567ec075d56518df971c.jpeg

Two that took up rather too much of my time were the buffers and screw couplings. The latter were because I didn't have any sets left in my stores, though I did find two brass castings of the central pivoting section. Therefore, got out some 0.5mm wire and bent up four loops to finish them off, then adding each unit to etched hooks that I did still have.

The original white metal buffer heads took a bit of a battering when I dropped the model on the floor, so inspired by Alan's [Tullygrainy] work with files & a drill, I got four steel buffer heads from my store and turned the shanks down to 3mm diameter, then cut off half of the 2mm diameter shank, so they can fit into holes drilled in the main shank. Before this, I cut off the white metal heads of the original buffers. 

Have also found four lamps that, after painting, will be glued to the buffer beams. A photo of these bits, along with the latest picture of Fly is shown below.

DSCN5378.thumb.jpeg.65f506af9b8e82f2e031da6888ae02ae.jpeg

DSCN5377.thumb.jpeg.5bb970ab1e0081a2c872ffea06ee7bff.jpeg

Another five hours or so have been added to the build time, bringing it to 35. Speaking of numbers, have been brooding on the cost of this project. The kit itself costs £125 - not bad. However, other stuff soon starts adding up: £84 - wheels and broad gauge axles; £50 - motor/gearbox; £20 - paint; £5 - couplings [albeit a while ago], bringing the total to £284. There again, a new 4mm scale loco can easily top £200 or more these days!

• Like 10
  • WOW! 3