Waterford Station

Rate this question

StevieB

Question

I've just been looking at the Roger Joanes album on flickr, where there is some lovely historical stuff on Waterford in the 1960s. At that time the Macmine Junction trains were using platforms 3/4, their original platforms 1/2 having been given over to diesel loco servicing.

The subsequent rebuilding in 1967/8 saw this area given over to car parking.

Is that when the following changes were also made:

1) Removal of platforms 7/8 to create more car parking?

2) Removal of the connections down main/platform 3 and up main/platform 4 and their replacement by a connection platform 3/up main?

3) Removal of the signal box controlling these movements?

4) Movement of the up and down lines west of the passenger station towards the river in order to create what is now called Sally Park?

Stephen

The freight yard changes took place in 1974 when the turntable and riverside sidings were removed to allow the main lines move to the riverside, the container and other modernisation happened at this time.

The eastern end signal cabin was demolished in 1985.

Platform 4 was extended in 1974 by 75 yards.

Redrich would probably have more knowledge of the other changes.

__3-7.jpeg

Here's another question for you historical buffs - when the magnesite plant at Ballinacourty was in full swing, did the reversal of the dolomite and magnesite/oil trains take place in the passenger station area? The working timetables that I have give that impression.

Stephen

Here's another question for you historical buffs - when the magnesite plant at Ballinacourty was in full swing, did the reversal of the dolomite and magnesite/oil trains take place in the passenger station area? The working timetables that I have give that impression.

Stephen

I don't know the answer, but the reversal of the magnesite/oil train must have been interesting. As you probably know, it brought oil into Ballinacourty along with the unladen magnesite wagons, and the laden magnesite wagons along with the unladen oil tanks in the other direction. The loaded wagons were always positioned at the front of the train, behind the loco of course. So anyway, every reversal on the route between Ballinacourty and Cork, and vice versa, wasn't as simple as just running the loco around. The laden wagons had to be positioned at the front each time too......

Irish Railways Traction & Travel 1987 has a photo with the caption - 001 Class No 018 passed through Waterford station en route to Limerick with a bag cement train. Given that the only freight east of Waterford was limited to Bell Liners trains, New Ross fertilizer trains and beet trains from Wellington Bridge, this train has presumably reversed in Waterford station.

Stephen

God those photos bring back memories of a fine station, I spent half my teenage years in the west cabin ( the advantages of a track side photo pass) . Never knew there was a cabin just under the cliff , v-dodgy!

I travelled in the loco on some of those dolomite trains, never remember them running around in the station area,

Despite what was said, the oil trains and the dolomite hoppers were rarely run together. They were usually separate trains. The hoppers were also used to load ballast from the quarry at carrolls cross ( i know this cause I was in the loco at the time!) . The line went straight through the middle of the quarry.

God those photos bring back memories of a fine station, I spent half my teenage years in the west cabin ( the advantages of a track side photo pass) . Never knew there was a cabin just under the cliff , v-dodgy!

I travelled in the loco on some of those dolomite trains, never remember them running around in the station area,

Despite what was said, the oil trains and the dolomite hoppers were rarely run together. They were usually separate trains. The hoppers were also used to load ballast from the quarry at carrolls cross ( i know this cause I was in the loco at the time!) . The line went straight through the middle of the quarry.

The dolomite and oil wagons never ran together. The dolomite train ran between Bennettsbridge in Co. Kilkenny and Ballinacourty, and hauled the dolomite ore into the factory. They were worked by a pair of 141's. There were two trains serving the factory. The second train ran between Cork and Ballinacourty. It hauled oil from Cork into the factory, and hauled magnesite in the other direction. These are the two wagons that ran together in the one train. Magnesite hoppers and oil tank cars. An 001 loco worked that train.

Before Tara mines the Dolomite trains were the heaviest in Ireland usually worked by pairs of 141s. The Ballinacourthy-Tivoli oil magnesite-oil trains seem to have been an A Class job and were unusual for a train carrying bulk traffic to run with laden wagons in both directions. It would make sense to re-marshall the train at Waterford to have the laden wagons behind the loco and the empties at the back.

While Waterford station was attractive with the elevated signal cabin and the rockface, re-signalling was long overdue the fact that the bay platform can handle all passenger services is proof that the signal cabin and mainline platform are surplus to requirements.

While Waterford station was attractive with the elevated signal cabin and the rockface, re-signalling was long overdue the fact that the bay platform can handle all passenger services is proof that the signal cabin and mainline platform are surplus to requirements.

Ah yes the IR way of business, well why not double the fares and reduce the timetables, then 2 foot of platform would do , the whole thing could be moved to kilmeaden and the whole station " surplus to requirements"

make a railway journey like a bus journey , result, people travel by bus,

if you keep sawing off services, cheapening everything, ultimately it all just dies,

The dolomite and oil wagons never ran together. The dolomite train ran between Bennettsbridge in Co. Kilkenny and Ballinacourty, and hauled the dolomite ore into the factory. They were worked by a pair of 141's. There were two trains serving the factory. The second train ran between Cork and Ballinacourty. It hauled oil from Cork into the factory, and hauled magnesite in the other direction. These are the two wagons that ran together in the one train. Magnesite hoppers and oil tank cars. An 001 loco worked that train.

Thats exactly as I remember it . I remember as boy travelling on the dolomite ones, never travelled on the magnesite. My memory is that the oil/magnesite trains dwindled away quicker then the dolomite.

I well remember the GMs hauling at night, I lived within earshot

I loved the pre-74 pics of waterford , I never got to see the station until after the rearrangement and the removal of the river sidings.

it must have been a spectacular place in its heyday

I was looking through flickr. I wonder was that cabin against the side of Mount Misery , really a signal box, given that the Central box , has been there from early in the 20th century, what would be the point of that cabin.

Interesting the old waterford north station building, quite beautiful, given the monstrous carbuncle that replaced it. it seemed to take up much of the space where the roundabout is now, i.e. it came out towards the bridge. Amazingly had it existed today, preservations orders would have never let it be demolished!!

Was it the only place that five railway lines converging in Ireland ?. had any six ?

Thats exactly as I remember it . I remember as boy travelling on the dolomite ones, never travelled on the magnesite. My memory is that the oil/magnesite trains dwindled away quicker then the dolomite.

I well remember the GMs hauling at night, I lived within earshot

I loved the pre-74 pics of waterford , I never got to see the station until after the rearrangement and the removal of the river sidings.

it must have been a spectacular place in its heyday

I used to holiday for a week each summer in Waterford. The Ballinacourty branch passed right by the house I stayed in.

I wouldn't have minded getting a trip out to the plant in the train I can tell ya! As it is, I didn't even get a photo. Cameras just weren't as commonplace back then... :(

You could be right about the magnesite trains dwindling first. I think they brought it by road towards the end of the factory's life because there was a problem with it getting stuck in the wagons and being hard to unload....

Edited by aclass007

I came across this interesting piece -
- nice shots at the end of the revised track layout at Waterford!

Stepehen

Thanks for posting that link. Some great footage. The EGV could do with some TLC and lick of paint, but the Cravens look superb. Love the wood in the restaurant car.