Waterford Station

Rate this question

StevieB

Question

I've just been looking at the Roger Joanes album on flickr, where there is some lovely historical stuff on Waterford in the 1960s. At that time the Macmine Junction trains were using platforms 3/4, their original platforms 1/2 having been given over to diesel loco servicing.

The subsequent rebuilding in 1967/8 saw this area given over to car parking.

Is that when the following changes were also made:

1) Removal of platforms 7/8 to create more car parking?

2) Removal of the connections down main/platform 3 and up main/platform 4 and their replacement by a connection platform 3/up main?

3) Removal of the signal box controlling these movements?

4) Movement of the up and down lines west of the passenger station towards the river in order to create what is now called Sally Park?

Stephen

Before the re-organisation of freight services in the 1970's, there was a daily Waterford-Wexford train departing Waterford 8.30am. Does anyone have a time of return to Waterford, please?

Stephen

According to the April 1973 working timetable the Wexford -Waterford goods arrived in Waterford at 16:15. It ran Monday to Friday. There is no sign of it in the November 1975 WTT which is the next one in my collection.

I came across this recently http://irishrailwaymodeller.yuku.com/topic/826/Waterford#.VPGaExaMmX0. Some of the detail is very good. Does it still exist and are there any more photos?

Stephen

There is only one registered member with a similar handle. I am not sure if he is the author of that thread. You may need to check with a mod or one of the members who have been on here a little longer may know

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15408[/ATTACH]

it appears heirfick wasn t far off the mark

Look at that. Is that an inside scissors or an outside scissors. Someone had modelled one in a recent MRJ or Scalefour News, and I'd never heard of them before I saw the model, and I certainly didn't think I'd see a prototype anywhere in this country. (The funny thing about it is that the further obtuse crossing is between the two running lines, outside the crossing, while the nearer one is in the closure rail, inside the crossing.) Imagine trying to model that.

It would be lovely to see more of the layout - thanks for trying to contact him.

As for the crossing in the middle of platforms 3 and 4, to the layman it's a scissors crossing where the diamond has strayed into one of the running lines - I know that there will a correct term for it in permanent way speak!

Stephen

How was mail traffic handled at Waterford? The copies 1970's WTT's that I have, covering the Dublin service, do not mention mail trains at all, so was it sent via Limerick Junction? That would seem very roundabout way of moving it if that was the case.

Stephen

I can say that the owner of that layout did not post those pics on the Yuku group. It was probably one of the group owners many aliases even though he used the chaps name. I don't know if he knows those pics of his layout were put on that group. I don't think he would be to happy if he knew as he is a man that wouldn't want that kind of exposure about his work.

Rich,

It's not good if the photos were posted without the owner's permission. Nevertheless, there was some good modelling on show there, in particular both the amount of, and variety of, the rolling stock. I hope that we may still see some more of his work in the future.

Stephen

I remember a very fine layout which was on public display in the old buffet / bar area of Waterford station after the withdrawal of refreshment facilities. Is this the same layout?

Wasn't that staged in connection with 150th of the coming of the railway to Waterford with memorabilia etc?

Think the layout at that was a different one.

The layout was for the 150th Anniversary and was built by a few lad's working for IE. The other layout is a private layout and that's why it doesn't appear on here, on any other Railway Modelling groups, or in the print media or any other media.

Rich,

In the days of loco hauled passenger trains, there was always at least one starting from Waterford in the morning and another terminating there in the evening. What happened to the stock overnight? Was it left in the passenger station overnight and, if so, in which platform, or was it shunted off to the goods yard?

Many thanks.

Stephen

Some lovely detailing there. The little red "Rabhadh" notice, ground signals, semaphore signals, moss on the canopy, vegetation on the ashlar stone. The Dutch Genny, and all this in a layout from 10-12 years ago when we didn't have the range we have now.

Clearly done by someone who really knew their stuff. Any ideas who?

More importantly, any more lovely piccies??

In the post on Brown Vans there is a link to Colm Creedon's notebooks that are in digital form in the Cork County Library. One of them has the last working timetable for the Mallow-Waterford line and I was interested in the fact that there were paths for two Rosslare-Limerick passenger trains but none in the opposite direction. Can anyone explain what was going on, in particular what was the passenger service between Waterford and Limerick in the mid 60's?

Stephen