Snow!

Rate this question

dave182

Question

Just wondering with all this talk of a cold winter coming, what do Irish Rail have in their arsenal to deal with heavy snow falls, or ice on overhead lines? Do they own snow ploughs for example? I was lucky enough to have missed the 2010 cold spells, so don't remember if there was much in the way of disruptions.

Any picks of historical IE/CIE equipment?

Here's a great story I found to get the ball rolling!

http://www.westontrack.com/history12.htm

Hardy bucks!

Edited by dave182

13 answers to this question

I was commuting daily from Kildare to Heuston at the time and disruption was minimal. There were some delays but the service never stopped and the controlers generally did a very good job in ensuring that everybody got home at a reasonable time. Colleagues dependent on cars and buses had a far worse time.

Not quite as bad as 1947 Dublin was more or less cut off from the rest of the country by a blizzard on a Friday in January 81 or 82. Most of the roads in the higher area of South Dublin were blocked by drifts by early morning, the Naas Road blocked around Rathcoole by early afternoon.

At Heuston CIE staff worked to keep trains moving clearing snow from around points. The station became a gathering place for people marooned by the storm, a train was used to provide an emergency night shelter for people from the storm.

More snow fell overnight most roads in Dublin were blocked, the Government chartered a special train to transport milk powder from Cork to Dublin.

Most of the railway lines were cleared quickly though it took a week to re-open the Sligo line knocked out by a combination of fallen trees and telegraph/telephone lines.

To be prepared for the next winter CIE acquired a small plough for use with the 071 Class, it usually lived in Inchacore not sure if it was ever used in anger.

I think it was 82. I finished the shift in Heuston Plant at 16.00 and by 21.00 No27 bus abandoned its passengers me included at the Artane roundabout. Took the best part of another hour and a half to walk the rest of the way home. The snow froze and persisted for a couple of weeks after. Some hairy moments trying to get in for the night shift the following week. I parted ways with CIE the following June, that's how I know it was 82.

I remember arriving at Connolly and walking, with plastic bags tied round my feet, to Baggot Street (Waterloo Road). It was, I think, early 1981. It took me three hours to do that walk. Down the middle of Pearse Street there wasn't one person about, let alone a vehicle, and the snow was about eighteen inches deep from wall to wall.

Just wondering with all this talk of a cold winter coming, what do Irish Rail have in their arsenal to deal with heavy snow falls, or ice on overhead lines? Do they own snow ploughs for example? I was lucky enough to have missed the 2010 cold spells, so don't remember if there was much in the way of disruptions.

Any picks of historical IE/CIE equipment?

Here's a great story I found to get the ball rolling!

http://www.westontrack.com/history12.htm

Hardy bucks!

The 'hardy buck' is Michael Higgins seen in Ballina in 1972.....no worse for wear for his 'walk' to Kiltimagh!

image.jpg

By 'Mainland', I am referring to the UK view of the World - the Continent is an offshore island, when seen from here....

As the famous headline once, allegedly, said "Fog in Channel, Continent cut off"..

Brilliant, I love it laugh.gif

PS: Great video

Edited by Noel