Servicing Locomotives: 141 181 and Woolwich

Rate this question

DiveController

Question

I don't think we've have had a stupid question in a while so rather than y'all nod off with celebratory Christmas grog and nosh, I thought I'd post.

I have bought several of my 141/181s secondhand and although some of them are 'new', they have probably been lying in a box or on display for several years. I noticed that some of my locomotives do not run as smoothly as others. Some are really quiet, begin to crawl at a lower setting and have a greater top speed than the others. I suspect that some need servicing but other than saying that they are a little noisy or something I do not really know why exactly qualifies them for needing a service.

More to the point, I do not really know how to do 'a service'. I know things need to be oiled sparingly but that's about it!:confused:

I 'ran in' several of my locomotives and then noticed an eBay listing where the seller had test run the locomotive for only half a circuit of an oval to test "to prevent burning out the motor" as it obviously needed a service. I hope I've not done any damage to my locomotives when running them in if they needed a service and I did not realize!:((

I also have several Woolies that are obviously noisier than my baby GMs, likely a product of different motors etc.

Any advice on how to optimize my fleet would be appreciated so that I don't have a slow-mo in consist with a hard working engine or derailments in a push-pull setting.:trains:

Thanks,

Kevin

24 answers to this question

In the middle of servicing my lot :( , the murphy locos like all locos need a good run in when new and after a service as well. Generally i give the wheels a good clean, i also clear any debris that may be near the pick ups. I also take the bogie covers off and aply a small bit if oil (peco lube). I also give the body a good clean and finally put the loco back together and test run the loco for 30 mins in each direction.

I don't think we've have had a stupid question in a while so rather than y'all nod off with celebratory Christmas grog and nosh, I thought I'd post.

I have bought several of my 141/181s secondhand and although some of them are 'new', they have probably been lying in a box or on display for several years. I noticed that some of my locomotives do not run as smoothly as others. Some are really quiet, begin to crawl at a lower setting and have a greater top speed than the others. I suspect that some need servicing but other than saying that they are a little noisy or something I do not really know why exactly qualifies them for needing a service.

More to the point, I do not really know how to do 'a service'. I know things need to be oiled sparingly but that's about it!:confused:

I 'ran in' several of my locomotives and then noticed an eBay listing where the seller had test run the locomotive for only half a circuit of an oval to test "to prevent burning out the motor" as it obviously needed a service. I hope I've not done any damage to my locomotives when running them in if they needed a service and I did not realize!:((

I also have several Woolies that are obviously noisier than my baby GMs, likely a product of different motors etc.

Any advice on how to optimize my fleet would be appreciated so that I don't have a slow-mo in consist with a hard working engine or derailments in a push-pull setting.:trains:

Thanks,

Kevin

I'm with DiveController on this, as I have a few 141's & a couple of brand new loco's, that have been sitting in a shed for the past two (2 ) years or more, so knowledgeables, please take us poor souls to the " How To Section " :o

Any thoughts on knowing when a service is needed or do the ailments above qualify?

When the loco doesnt run correctly or makes any loud or grinding noises. If it runs properly then no worries. Pretty straightforward I would've thought. If you dont trust yourself to do the right thing then take them to your local model shop and they'll do it for you.

Tom just outlined what to do above.

I think the guys would probably like a guide. Covering how to open parts of the loco, where to lube with greace and where to lube with oil, gears, shafts, service intervals for motor bushes, how to clean pickups and wheel rims and wheel backs, recommended materials, use of cradle, power clips to run bogies inverted in cradle for lube, cleaning, test, etc, bla, bla

In the middle of servicing my lot :( , the murphy locos like all locos need a good run in when new and after a service as well. Generally i give the wheels a good clean, i also clear any debris that may be near the pick ups. I also take the bogie covers off and aply a small bit if oil (peco lube). I also give the body a good clean and finally put the loco back together and test run the loco for 30 mins in each direction.

Tom, if you're not finished would you post a couple of photos of the guts of the 141 service when you do the next one please? I have over a dozen of them and it would be better if I became familiar with doing it myself.

Or a woolie if you're servicing any...

Thanks,

Kevin

I think the guys would probably like a guide. Covering how to open parts of the loco, where to lube with greace and where to lube with oil, gears, shafts, service intervals for motor bushes, how to clean pickups and wheel rims and wheel backs, recommended materials, use of cradle, power clips to run bogies inverted in cradle for lube, cleaning, test, etc, bla, bla

Off you go so!

Hi Noel,

If you're doing an internal makeover on one, I think a few of the newbies in this area would appreciate a few photos.

Amen, at last, now we're getting somewhere, :bishopbrennan:

If you run your locos on a regular basis, then modern models like MM's need very little maintenance. Wheel cleaning being the only thing that regularly needs doing.

Most models now have can motors, so the brushes are not accesible and lubriction should be done sparingly (usually be applied with the head of a pin.)

As Warbonnet said; if a loco is running and not making any funny noises, then leave it alone!

Generally i agree about the new motors but id generally do an annual examination of the mechanisms etc. The 071/201's haven t had much need for maintence but the 141/181's are starting to need a little bit more work. ANY secondhand purchases always get a full check up when they arrive whereas the new from the shop get only a good run in. All 50 plus locos run excellently now, even the a class is behaving itself :) .

Surprisingly the bachmann cl 66 chassis under the kitbuilt 201's are still out performing the mm 201's. The athearns are still as noisy as ever !!!!

Edited by Riversuir226

Generally i agree about the new motors but id generally do an annual examination of the mechanisms etc. The 071/201's haven t had much need for maintence but the 141/181's are starting to need a little bit more work. ANY secondhand purchases always get a full check up when they arrive whereas the new from the shop get only a good run in. All 50 plus locos run excellently now, even the a class is behaving itself :) .

50 PLUS!!!!!!!!!!! Holy Jasus thats a lot of maintenance Tom!

Carefully remove body by hacking with a pickaxe or a sledgehammer. Then dismantle the model by using brute force. Pull everything apart Place all parts into a food blender, along with a careful mix of water,washing up liquid and brake fluid. Blend for precisely 6 minutes and 37 seconds. Reassemble and et voila - shiny new loco ready for another few years sat on the shelf in its box

I'm no expert, but I doubt very much if you've done any damage to your locos by running them, especially if they made no unusual noise or ran erratically. The eBay seller who said the loco obviously needed a service, was probably really saying the loco he was selling is running like crap because it's knackered, but it made it half way around the oval... :rolleyes:

The eBay seller who said the loco obviously needed a service, was probably really saying the loco he was selling is running like crap because it's knackered, but it made it half way around the oval... :rolleyes:

Its so when you buy it and its a pig you cant complain - 'sold as seen' rarely works on ebay, given how quik people are to moan

Just like the prototype different makers locos have their own quirks some makes including Bachmann are more high maintenance than those of Japanese or German manufacture.

I have two relatively new Bachmann large scale locos stopped for spare parts while much older LGB locos continue to run reliably. Plastic gears in the final drives on Bachmann large scale locos tend to split from being forced on to splined axles, power pick up design and quality of wiring has not kept up with other manufacturers notably Kato.