The Difference between a WIMP and a MAN

Rate this topic

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coke!!!!!!!.........and diving and crying like little girls!

I was going past a local school last year when there was some after-school football training on, including one girl of about nine. She took down a lad twice her size with a (legal) sliding tackle that would have made Norman Hunter wince. If she'd come at me, I would have just let her have the ball....

I was going past a local school last year when there was some after-school football training on, including one girl of about nine. She took down a lad twice her size with a (legal) sliding tackle that would have made Norman Hunter wince. If she'd come at me, I would have just let her have the ball....

......ah, back to the topic..... Wimps verus.....

looks like its time for this.....

Two blokes on a tandem rode into town and stopped at a pub for a cold drink. Unfortunately, the locals always had a habit of picking on strangers, which they were. When they finished their drinks, they found their "steed" had been stolen.

They went back into the bar, the captain neatly flips his gun into the air, catches it above his head without even looking and fires a shot into the ceiling.

"WHICH ONE OF YOU SIDEWINDERS STOLE OUR STEED?" he yelled with surprising forcefulness.

No one answered.

"ALL RIGHT WE'RE GONNA HAVE ANOTHA COLD DRINK, AND IF OUR STEED AIN'T BACK OUTSIDE BY THE TIME WE FINISH, WE'RE GONNA DO WHAT WE DONE IN TEXAS! AND WE DON'T LIKE TO HAVE TO DO WHAT WE DID IN TEXAS!"

Some of the locals shifted restlessly.

They had another cold drink, walked outside, and the tandem is back! They mount up and start to ride out of town.

The bartender wanders out of the bar and asks, "Say partner, before you go... what did happen in Texas?"

The captain turned back and said,

"We had to walk home''

- dedicated to cyclists everywhere!!!;)

Cycling requires a 'machine' so is more based on the manufacturing and skill of the bike maker than solely the skills of the cyclist (which are still required),

Barl what are you smoking tonight so what you are saying is that if I put on a bike at the top of a col and made you go down the other side that the skill of the bike maker would get you to the bottom.

That kind of behavior has no place in football and FIFA should do everything they can to stamp it out. I don't want to get into the who's tougher footballers or cyclists, both sports can be tough at the highest level as with any sport. My brother in law plays junior league football and 3 years ago he had a horrific injury where he had an open fracture of the fibula and tibula. The bones were sticking out through his sock. The game was played in West Waterford and it took half an hour for the ambulance to arrive and Mark was in that agonizing pain without any pain relief. The medics couldn't give him anything only gas in the ambulance and it took another half an hour to get to Waterford Regional Hospital.

As a consequence of that injury he now has steel bars in his leg. After nine months rehab and physio he went back training and played again. He fractured his other leg in January and was back playing again last month. He doesn't get a penny for playing and received little in insurance after the injury and he still has the guts to go out and train and play every week. There was a famous Kilkenny hurler that was without a doubt the greatest hurler of his generation (and he deserves to be spoken about in the same reverence as Christy Ring) who also played soccer and I have spoken to the man on a few occasions. One time we were discussing the merits of both games and he said that you are more highly at risk of having a career ending injury playing soccer than playing football or hurling.

Cycling is a sport of endurance, willpower, and stamina and trying to compare it to soccer is a waste of time as both of them demand different things of the participant.

Rich,

Smashed my left fibula, fractured my skull and shattered my left eye socket and nearly lost my left eye in a bad accident at a race in Bangor in 89 took over an hour to get the ambulance to me then the best part of an hour before they could stabilise me I was then taken to Newtownards hospital still concious and rushed to the Royal later that day and put into a coma for 4 days. I didn't get a penny for racing nor did I get insurance and I had the guts not only to get back to training but back racing 5 months later. As I said cyclists are harder than footballers:-bd

Edited by Anthony

That kind of behavior has no place in football and FIFA should do everything they can to stamp it out. I don't want to get into the who's tougher footballers or cyclists, both sports can be tough at the highest level as with any sport. My brother in law plays junior league football and 3 years ago he had a horrific injury where he had an open fracture of the fibula and tibula. The bones were sticking out through his sock. The game was played in West Waterford and it took half an hour for the ambulance to arrive and Mark was in that agonizing pain without any pain relief. The medics couldn't give him anything only gas in the ambulance and it took another half an hour to get to Waterford Regional Hospital.

As a consequence of that injury he now has steel bars in his leg. After nine months rehab and physio he went back training and played again. He fractured his other leg in January and was back playing again last month. He doesn't get a penny for playing and received little in insurance after the injury and he still has the guts to go out and train and play every week. There was a famous Kilkenny hurler that was without a doubt the greatest hurler of his generation (and he deserves to be spoken about in the same reverence as Christy Ring) who also played soccer and I have spoken to the man on a few occasions. One time we were discussing the merits of both games and he said that you are more highly at risk of having a career ending injury playing soccer than playing football or hurling.

Cycling is a sport of endurance, willpower, and stamina and trying to compare it to soccer is a waste of time as both of them demand different things of the participant.

Rich,

All this 'my injury is better than your injury' nonsense is more akin to kids in a schoolyard than grown adults. That said, the above quote has been the most sensible viewpoint on a trivial matter. Well said Rich.

All this 'my injury is better than your injury' nonsense is more akin to kids in a schoolyard than grown adults. That said, the above quote has been the most sensible viewpoint on a trivial matter. Well said Rich.

As I said Footballers are WIMPS and Cyclists are MEN :cool: It might be a trivial matter Fran but its got a great bit of banter going=D Thats why its in Letting off Steam. Come on lads keep it going us cycling fans are have a good laugh at you footballing fans. But don't be losing your heads and remember its only a bit of fun:-bd

Edited by Anthony

I do enjoy soccer and all sports bar horse racing.

Nearly all who use drugs get caught.sport does throw

up magical moments.When I mention to younger generation

that when I was 15 I would think nothing of cycling 130 miles

in a day.

I love sport myself Eamonn I'm looking forward to the Olympic games when they start. As a Waterford man I have great memories of John Treacy taking silver in the Marathon in 84. I'll be glued to the telly when the boxing starts as I did a bit of boxing in my younger years. St Paul's boxing club in Waterford has produced some good fighters down through the years.

Rich,

As I said Footballers are WIMPS and Cyclists are MEN :cool: It might be a trivial matter Fran but its got a great bit of banter going=D Thats why its in Letting off Steam. Come on lads keep it going us cycling fans are have a good laugh at you footballing fans. But don't be losing your heads and remember its only a bit of fun:-bd

Right so, if we're going down that road (mind you, I'm a lover of many sports, including football and cycling)

Bert Trautmann, goalkeeper for Man City who in 1956 broke his neck and played on, pulling off crucial saves to help Man City win the FA Cup. Was also in the Luftwaffe but managed to get an OBE. Now that's not a wimp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_Trautmann

And I'll buy you a 201 if any of you goes up to Roy Keane and tell him that he's a wimp.

Now children, I'm taking my ball and going home. I think one of you's peed in the sandpit.

Barl what are you smoking tonight so what you are saying is that if I put on a bike at the top of a col and made you go down the other side that the skill of the bike maker would get you to the bottom.

If you read what I wrote you would see that I stated that cycling requires the skill of the cyclist along with that of the manufacturer; would you get anywhere on a bike made by a cowboy:). Like I said you can't really compare the two, its been said that soccer is a gentleman's game played by thugs and rugby is a thugs game played by gentleman so it would be easier to compare the two.

If you read what I wrote you would see that I stated that cycling requires the skill of the cyclist along with that of the manufacturer; would you get anywhere on a bike made by a cowboy:). Like I said you can't really compare the two, its been said that soccer is a gentleman's game played by thugs and rugby is a thugs game played by gentleman so it would be easier to compare the two.

Totally off topic I think Ulick O'Connor once compared rugby and soccer to Gaelic Football saying that the latter was a Hooligans Game played by Hooligans. :D

John

A average rider in the tour de France earns about 150k a year.

Carlos Tevez got 230k a week for doing nothing.

Darran Clark got 8 million for winning British open golf.

average tour rider is in a basic of € 60.000 a year if on one of the bigger teams it drops down to less than €30.000 a year if you ride for a division two team.

i got £7,000 as a full time amateur back in 87 some of the pros were only £18,000 at the time when riding for teams such as skil sem lotto la vie clare

heres a song for all you cycling men..espically A4 mallard whos backside is as sore as a snakes ass in the wagon rot! apparently he has been riding for miles!! (so he said!)

Seamus this this what A4 is chasing I won't embed it as the boss might have to slap me.

Check out the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=MGL4YRa7KPg