Going through Senior's stuff

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

That bottom ticket is a gem.

About fifteen years ago, I had my ticket punched by a girl who looked about fifteen - they had, I presume, let her choose her own punch and she had picked a heart-shaped one - and I had got in the first-class by accident - and she had decided to let me off....

Long time since I had my ticked punched by anybody :mad:

I think they'd be scared you'd punch them back Dave.

JBH, what museum woudn't give their eye teeth for those. Ahh, the days when people could actually write properly as well, fine copperplate there.

I've a box of these free passes.... first class to Tullow, Larne Harbour to Strabane via Waterside and Victoria Road, Kingsbridge to Banagher, Amiens Street to Oldcastle, Enniskillen to Bundoran, Enniskillen to Westland Row, Kingsbridge to Kilrush for himself plus bicycle, first class free pass for unlimited travel between Aughnacloy and Maguiresbridge, etc etc.... plus numerous Dublin to Cork etc....

Love GSWR pass with the W crossed out the General Manager W H Morton was former MGWR CME responsible for the introduction of the Woolwich, Midland Cattle engines (GSR J5), promoted to GM after a stint as CME at Inchacore.

Some unusual journeys Newmarket to Mitchelsown, Courtmacsharry to Birdhill and back.

Love GSWR pass with the W crossed out the General Manager W H Morton was former MGWR CME responsible for the introduction of the Woolwich, Midland Cattle engines (GSR J5), promoted to GM after a stint as CME at Inchacore.

I have seen quite a number of pre-GSR tickets used and dated well into the 1950's, usually issued from fairly rural locations to use up old ticket stocks, didn't think a personage such as WHM was into 'recycling' as well. (though presumeably it was his office secretary that wrote it out, judging by the ink stamp)

Edited by minister_for_hardship

They were a little perforated tab they tore off to show it was used, a bit similar to punching tickets.

Incidentally, I can hardly get into IRM the last few days due to an adware virus called "smart compare". Anyone know how to get rid of it? I've tried uninstalling it but it keeps reappearing....

I hereby issue a fatwa against whoever invented adware, and graffiti.

There's a lot of it about - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31129797 - I run Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials - they will run together and I have very little trouble - my techy chap spent ages infecting things and seeing what works best - this was his recommendation for most people..

True. My father, aunt and grandparents spent many years going back and forth to that area here they had relatives, and spent many summer holidays there. Senior was taken to see the "stolen remains" in the 1920s, at which time much was still visible.

Here's more stuff.

image.jpg

GSR crest on later (post 1933) GSR maroon paint, and an old railway letter seal of ancient parentage...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by jhb171achill