Harrys Workbench

Rate this topic

GSR 800

Would anyone be willing to put together a riveted smokebox etch for me?

Would be greatly appreciated.

Harry

I should be able to sort out a riveted smokebox overlay for you. The locos ran with the original flush smokebox and tall cast iron chimney into the 1940s

Well, early this morning I was testing the loco( with pickups, thank John) when the motor decided to commit suicide. Not even a fart out of it. Doing what I usually do. I tore it apart to find out the problem, until it was just a pile of wire. Ah well, feck I'll just have to annoy Des a bit more and throw some coins in his direction. On the bright side, pickups work, and the body is starting to look like a loco. Since I'm not going to post photos if the mortally wounded motor, I might as well go through the general plan for the next year or two. Finish the J26. Get a Bandon and a J15(It doesn't matter which order) and then maybe a compound, before eventually building a second 800 which is the ultimate goal

Hello all,

552 had a high coping on her bunker, it seems CIE put a step on the bunker sides,to make it easier to access.

My question, was the step on both sides? It was definitely on the left, but I can only find one picture of the right side, and it isn't very clear. It would have made sense to have had it on both sides, but it's CIE..

Thanks in advance

Harry,

Not sure of the numbers of her sisters but search for their numbers in here and there's bound to be something. (551-562?)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/collections/72157626625058875/

Richie,

I had already checked both transport of delight and Mike Morants collections, but nore they, or Ernie Brack, could solve the great problem...

There is one photo..image.jpg

(Copyright Walter Mc Grath)

It looks like there is no step, but the poor quality of the photo makes it hard to tell...I'll leave it for you lot to judge.

Edited by GSR 800

With the J26 waiting for parts, not much more can be done on her, for now.

So time to take a break from it and move on to another project, here an A class, is looking rather sorry for herself, awaits it's fate in the depths of the works..image.jpg

Enough of that nonsense, she is in a serious need for a revamp.

The first job was to strip the paint from her, so she was put in a sink of hot, soapy water..image.jpg

Who's that handsome, witty young man in the reflection?:cool:

image.jpg

After her bath..image.jpg

Next to 552..image.jpg

She still needs a good bit of cleaning up, I will do it tommorow

Edited by GSR 800

• 2 weeks later...

An update today, mainly to compensate for the lack of it over easter(I got super lazy)

An annoying wobble started to develop with the J26:I soon figured out that one of the compensation beams had soldered itself nicely to the chassis,so I had to fix it.

The chassis rolls nicely now..image.jpg

The compensation beams can be seen..image.jpg

On to the A class, I took off as much paint as I could, and started adding a bit of detail.

image.jpg

I've come to th conclusion that 552 got the step on only one side, here is a close up, which shows what needs to be cleaned up too!

image.jpeg

I'm not getting the SSM detailing kit, until I'm finished the j26...Both of which, Des has on sale, for a reasonable price too...http://www.studio-scale-models.com/

Edited by GSR 800

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Got a package from NZ yesterday, from a certain John Mayne.

The contents..

image.jpg

Not one, but two riveted smoke boxes, just in case I was going to build another one, or fecked up the first one...

The smokebox looks fantastic, the riveting is very well done.

image.jpg

image.jpg

My soldering iron has been 'borrowed' so Soldering will have to wait for now...

Anyway thanks to Mayner for all his help with the build so far:D

Edited by GSR 800

The more I look at photos of 552, the more little features show up

One of these is a shovel on the left tank top, so I decided to build it.

image.jpeg

image.jpegsorry about the poor quality, they are pictures of pictures..

Anyway, it was very simple to do..

image.jpg

image.jpg

And on 552..

image.jpg

Edited by GSR 800

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Got a package from a Clareman this morning(thanks)

Including a replacement motor, new crank pins...and some beer barrels...hmm

Anyway, this evening I got down to work,fitted the new crank pins and motor and also made some primitive looking pickups..image.jpg

After a bit of frustration, I got the loco to work(with a battery)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Note a heavily modified Hood, which is there for ...livery purposes..

Thanks for looking

• 5 months later...

At Raheny, I got one of Leslie's new H vans

Came home, sat down at the bench, opened it up, and inspected the (excellent detail)

Decide to make a start at it, look up at my shelf: no glue(feck!)

Anyway, here are some pics of the kit. The pics dont do it justice

image.jpg

The chassis..

image.jpg

The brake lever casting...

image.jpg

End body castings..

image.jpg

The body sides..

image.jpg

The roof..

image.jpg

Looks like an excellent kit, and very well detailed. Well done to Leslie and Provincial models=D

Hi all,

Got a package from NZ yesterday, from a certain John Mayne.

The contents..

attachment.php?attachmentid=23857&stc=1

Not one, but two riveted smoke boxes, just in case I was going to build another one, or fecked up the first one...

The smokebox looks fantastic, the riveting is very well done.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23858&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=23859&stc=1....

I had quite a bit of difficulty, when squinting at photos of J26s late in their service lives, trying to make out the smokebox rivet patterns as the photographic qualities weren't the best.

Eventually, a photo of 560 on the little turntable at Waterford suggested that not only were there a lot of rivets, but that the ones on the smokebox front did not line up horizontally with the ones on the smokebox wrapper, giving a sort of staggered effect. Not sure how my rivet press is going to cope with this! :dig:

I had quite a bit of difficulty, when squinting at photos of J26s late in their service lives, trying to make out the smokebox rivet patterns as the photographic qualities weren't the best.

Eventually, a photo of 560 on the little turntable at Waterford suggested that not only were there a lot of rivets, but that the ones on the smokebox front did not line up horizontally with the ones on the smokebox wrapper, giving a sort of staggered effect. Not sure how my rivet press is going to cope with this! :dig:

You sure mate? Look pretty even to me...

The Atock designed M&GWR 'E' class 0-6-0T's were often described as the Irish Terriers not only for their similar appearance to the LBSCR Terriers but also because of their flexibility, longevity in service and capacity for punching above their weight as it's called today. There were twelve examples built and CIE no. 560, depicted here on shed at Cork, was built by Kitson of Leeds entering service in 1893 with the MGWR number 115 and the name Achill. 560 was the first of three of the class that were rebuilt with extended cabs and recessed steps for use on the Waterford - Tramore line. Withdrawal for 560 came in 1963 after70 years of service.
[Mike Morant collection]

Only one way to settle this..

If you look at the rivets on the smokebox front of 560, and then try to line them up with the adjacent rivets on the smokebox wrapper (a bit like "joining the dots"), what you get is a zig-zag pattern, hence staggered. Most people won't be too fussed about this, and that's fine, but it is something I noticed and since I have a rivet press I might as well give it some proper work to do!

GSR/CIE really were great believers in rivets - smokeboxes were absolutely covered in them, and it can be a total pain in the **** when you're trying to get it right. The other thing I have to try to do is calculate how many rivets there are around the smokebox front of 560.

Edited by Horsetan
More rivets!

If you look at the rivets on the smokebox front of 560, and then try to line them up with the adjacent rivets on the smokebox wrapper (a bit like "joining the dots"), what you get is a zig-zag pattern, hence staggered.

Ah! I see what you mean now!

My mistake...

GSR/CIE really were great believers in rivets - smokeboxes were absolutely covered in them, and it can be a total pain in the **** when you're trying to get it right. The other thing I have to try to do is calculate how many rivets there are around the smokebox front of 560.

CIE, certainly, but the GSR maybe not as much. However, it was the GNR that started the pop head rivets on their locos, for the sole reason the were a hell of a lot simpler to take out than the countersunk rivets.

Even the 800s originally had countersunk rivets.

In my opinion, despite being a pain in the a^$<'*#$ to model, The (three thousand:p) rivets are a major charictestic feature of Irish locos in the CIE period

Actual rivet-counting, actually going on as we watch, you don't normally actually see it happening in front of your actual eyes. :cheers:

It might actually be 35 rivets because there are a couple that seem to be hidden by the smokebox door hinges. :dig:

I've taken a close-up photo of the original photo, and will see if I can blow it up even more to verify the count.

It might actually be 35 rivets because there are a couple that seem to be hidden by the smokebox door hinges. :dig:

I've taken a close-up photo of the original photo, and will see if I can blow it up even more to verify the count.

Give us a look, you might need a break from all the rivet counting....you start hallucinating after a while....