800 model

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

There was considerably more freight then and the management of CIE took the view that a locomotive would be a multi purpose thing in a land where traffic levels rarely justified a separate fleet of goods engines. The GNR and UTA went down the CDRJC road, possibly to an extent anticipating the future, though the latter's severe anti-rail bias meant that like today's IE, they'd do almost anything to discourage rail-borne freight. So, north of the Sligo line the emphasis was railcars.

That said, most main line CIE passenger services 1957-64 were railcars too.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dive, most probably because the railway then with extensive goods traffic, as well as a large stock of passenger carriages with life left in them, was geared towards loco hauled. Also, there was no Celtic Tiger to fund wholesale fleet replacement like seen in the 2000s!

Dive, most probably because the railway then with extensive goods traffic, as well as a large stock of passenger carriages with life left in them, was geared towards loco hauled. Also, there was no Celtic Tiger to fund wholesale fleet replacement like seen in the 2000s!

That's exactly right! In fact CIE had been given a 5 year period (1958-63) to break even, so cost cutting was even more draconian than the last few years.

That's exactly right! In fact CIE had been given a 5 year period (1958-63) to break even, so cost cutting was even more draconian than the last few years.

Hopefully with the freight tonnage yoke increasing, we will see more locos, and less AND DONT COME BACK!(fires shotgun)boring identitrams

071s aren't exactly 121s, but they're marginally of some interest; 201s are identiluases.....to me! :-)

But John, surely anything is better than identitrams? I mean day in day out that is all ye see on the Aul Sligo line. The most interesting thing that has happened at Mullingar in months is when the windloff was stabled there during a strike. A 201 might be boring, but at least it's a loco. Phhh

I'll grant ye that, GSR800........

I just belong to a different age. Being honest, endless clanking yellow machines, 071-hauled trains of one flat wagon going to limerick with a flat tyre, all modern railcars, units, ICRs, De Dietrichs, Mk 4s (and sacrilege!!) Mk 2 and 3 coaches, either aircon are not, are to me of one with darts and Luases, 071s and 201s - being kind, too modern. Being honest but tactful, of no interest to me. Tempted to be non-PC but possibly invite death threats, boring oul piles of tin cans. And a goods train consisting of lorry containers is not a "proper" goods train.

As for 80 class, 450 class, those lime green and navy things in Drogheda, 26's and 28's........ zzzzzzzzz. gatwicks: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Hunslets and EE shunters zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yep, maybe I'm a philistine; but there ye go. jhb171senior had no time for ANYTHING with an internal combustion motor, even a Donegal railcar! His train spotting days had been in the 1920s and 30s.

We jhb171's are kettle men, not petrol-heads....unless they're black'n'tan of course....! :-)

Whinge over!!! Ye got me off guard there, GSR800. ;-)

Edited by jhb171achill

I just belong to a different age. Being honest, endless clanking yellow machines, 071-hauled trains of one flat wagon going to limerick with a flat tyre, all modern railcars, units, ICRs, De Dietrichs, Mk 4s (and sacrilege!!) Mk 2 and 3 coaches, either aircon are not, are to me of one with darts and Luases, 071s and 201s - being kind, too modern. Being honest but tactful, of no interest to me. Tempted to be non-PC but possibly invite death threats, boring oul piles of tin cans. And a goods train consisting of lorry containers is not a "proper" goods train.

As for 80 class, 450 class, those lime green and navy things in Drogheda, 26's and 28's........ zzzzzzzzz. gatwicks: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Hunslets and EE shunters zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yep, maybe I'm a philistine; but there ye go. jhb171senior had no time for ANYTHING with an internal combustion motor, even a Donegal railcar! His train spotting days had been in the 1920s and 30s.

We jhb171's are kettle men, not petrol-heads....unless they're black'n'tan of course....! :-)

TL;DR JHB doesn't like plastic :)

... snip ...

John you eloquently and diplomatically expressed personal preferences that I would share. Must be the era I traveled on Irish trains most. 'Identiluases' - I love it.

I should add, gentlemen, that in no way am I knocking those who DO appreciate some of the rail-borne things that pass me by! Each to their own, and we're all friends here....

Hear hear. Well said.

I would love to own a decent 800 model like yours one day, but would have to commission it because I don't have the skills to build a brass kit to a high enough standard. Yours is the most impressive I've seen.

Edited by Noel

Kettles all the way! UP THE RPSI!

The bulk of my photography era, GSR, was 1975 - 85, and I was never the greatest photographer. I remember steam well, and all that went with it, but 'twas when I was a camera-less youth.

I took my first ever photo on holiday in 1970. It's of a British Rail class 86 electric loco at Euston. Just because I had a cents, and it was there. It was July 1970.

To go back to the thread, I have therefore no photos of 800, but as I sort jhb171senior's stuff, who knows what might appear.

Edited by jhb171achill

Kind of odd that it illustrates a steamer (with it's sleek line of coaches as previously stated), then advertises "travel by Diesel Train and try the new Buffet Service. FREE CAR PARK AT THESE STATIONS.

I suppose you'd be pressed to find any of these on the passenger network now.

Those posters I believe were printed en masse as 'blanks' with EXCURSION TO... and with loco at the bottom and the rest printed on in small batches for upcoming excursions or filled in by hand with pencil by station staff. Had found some torn blank posters with the A class many years ago.

The bulk of my photography era, GSR, was 1975 - 85, and I was never the greatest photographer. I remember steam well, and all that went with it, but 'twas when I was a camera-less youth.

I took my first ever photo on holiday in 1970. It's of a British Rail class 86 electric loco at Euston. Just because I had a cents, and it was there. It was July 1970.

To go back to the thread, I have therefore no photos of 800, but as I sort jhb171senior's stuff, who knows what might appear.

Excellent

By the way, I'm really enjoying Rails to Achill, J26s, Achill bogies and Sean Lemass, and some foghorns galore!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not certain that 801 was repainted, Harry. 800 was, of course, in full lined CIE paint, though without snails.

Whoops sorry, made it sound like both Maebh and Macha were repainted. I meant when Maebh(alone) was repainted, was both her and Macha outside Thurles for a while...

Aye, but someone might know who the person who made it is etc

Something like that could surely assist a CAD for a possible very far in the future model...anything is possible..

The designer posted the images on that forum. I'd suggest you sign up and contact them through it if you want further information.

• 6 months later...