800 model

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

Here's one for ye all.

I had a dream. I was talking to someone who told me that they were going to make 0 gauge models of the 800 class and paint them black.....

Thankfully, I woke up.....!

Psychologists: make of that what you will.

Maybe you were thinking about me and my under coat on the 800( which was black)..nonetheless what a terrible dream...

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took delivery of this beast tonight. Pricey but worth waiting for.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20988[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20989[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20990[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20991[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20992[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20993[/ATTACH]

Great advert for Des / SSM's "800" kit. I can think of at least one UK builder, who I've nicknamed "Stella Artois" on account of the fact that everything he does is "reassuringly expensive", who would charge five figures followed by a decimal point, for something like this.

I've seen photos of the 21mm gauge build, and I'm convinced that the kit is something to save up for.

BTW, it looks like the reversing arms are missing from the motion on your model.

Edited by Horsetan

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the comments, gents.

It has pride of place for the moment. I'll get it running soon!

It is indeed an absolute beauty. It was my retirement present to myself a few years ago!

Thanks again to David for a phenomenal build job.

I was wondering if you have had a chance to run Maedhbh? If you have any video of her, I'd love to see her running (and I'm probably not alone in that)

I had a run with it about a week before Christmas on a friend's layout. It's a bit stiff and there are a few running issues to be sorted; also it doesn't like sharp curves, though you wouldn't expect it to, to be fair.

After a bit of freeing up and a few more runs, I'll try to post a video of it. I might even get it the right way up, if I stand on my head when I'm filming it....

It's a bit stiff and there are a few running issues to be sorted; also it doesn't like sharp curves, though you wouldn't expect it to, to be fair.

It's a hand made locomotive and as I understand they need quite a bit of running in, more than the required hour or so for a standard rtr 'mass produced'. Same remarks with regard to the ooworks U and UG class locomotives we've just been discussing on another thread.What are the running issues other than stiff while running in? What do you mean by sharp curves 18" or it still has problems on 24" or larger?

I'll try to post a video of it. I might even get it the right way up, if I stand on my head when I'm filming it....

Buttons on the iPhone/iPad to the floor when you take the shot, I think someone suggested

I'm not sure of the radius, DiveC, but they look about 18-20 inches. The stiffness is the main thing. The tender wheels are also a little stiff, and the motion in action makes it a little jerky at low speeds. However, there's nothing there that a bit of running in wont solve. It's a beauty in motion.

800 - I take it you're going for CIE era - the green looks right for that. Can't tell from the pic whether you've white lining or black and white: the latter would be correct. The wheels and cylinders should be green.

For many years 24'' radius was the minimum recommended for OO gauge, while diesels and bogie stock is quite forgiving (18* the min recommended for American HO) a lot of compromises are needed to allow model steam locos with bogies and trailing axles around anything less than 36". The RTR manufacturers get by with excess side play (slop)) in axles, undersize bogie wheels, narrow plastic frames.

Kit or scratch built locos are likely to have brass of nickel silver frames, a high quality Japanese can motor, with multi stage reduction drive, all gears and axles running in substantial brass bearings.

Most of the locos I built from kits 20-25 years ago are nicely run-in and going strong, while I cannot get spares for expensive rtr locos bought within the last 10 years.

That hits the nail on the head....

I had a (teenage years) 6' X 4' layout, which meant curves just over 18". A cast-body Wrenn 2.6.4T could go tearing round it, but as Mayner says the wheels we way out of scale, and indeed on standard RTR models the wheels we accept as normal on track stuff would justifiably draw criticism on a scale model.

I couldn't have stretched to an 800 model then, even if it had been available, of course!

I have some of the same problems with mine, although the jerkyniss was solved by a bit of lubrication on the bearings and on the crank pins. I will probably need to add a bit of weight to the tender. My layout has some tight bends and it doesn't always agree with them.

it doesn't like sharp curves, though you wouldn't expect it to, to be fair.

JB, I ran Eamon Kearney's 800 at the Dublin show, and it found 2nd radius Hornby curves quite tight.

Is the solution to that what the toy makers used to do - leave centre axil floating or without flanges.

.... I cannot get spares for expensive rtr locos bought within the last 10 years.

....and may never be able to. It's not how the Chinese factories work, and to some extent the commissioning RTR companies (they're not really manufacturers anymore, and not much more than importers/wholesalers) have had to accept this.

Most of the locos I built from kits 20-25 years ago are nicely run-in and going strong, while I cannot get spares for expensive rtr locos bought within the last 10 years.

I couldn't get detailing kits for a couple of my 141s, so I'm not sure what will happen if they develop an electronic or mechanical problem.

Maybe I'll have to scavenge from one to keep the fleet serviceable in prototypical fashion. :trains:

Hopefully, there'll be a generic replacement if required.

I couldn't get detailing kits for a couple of my 141s, so I'm not sure what will happen if they develop an electronic or mechanical problem.

Maybe I'll have to scavenge from one to keep the fleet serviceable in prototypical fashion. :trains:

Hopefully, there'll be a generic replacement if required.

What are you missing Dive?

What are you missing Dive?

Just the bag of bits that comes with the locos, Tom. A few of my early ones were unboxed and I presume the hoses and valances got burned with the box (plus a couple of broken horns). I know many people do not even bother to fit them( I didn't when I was a kid to some BR models). MM were helpful but just literally did not have them. Eventually I hoped to fit the hoses and the skirt with FlyingScotsman4472's modification (coupler through the valance on most locos).

Edited by DiveController
terminology