Modern chassis for MIR 121 Class

Rate this topic

DiveController

Hi David, that would be nice but I have a feeling that unfortunately the body on that one is a custom job already. Otherwise, while not up to your caliber, would still have a go.

Yes, if MM landed have a dozen 121 liveries in the morning, I'd buy one of each. I'm sure they'll be beautiful if they come, just not sure when

Yes you're right. I looked into it and it's actually a body kit for a GL8. According to the dimensions on their website is is very definitely 1/87 scale and wouldn't work at all.

Yes that's the same price I paid in Germany. Great value for a quality decoder.

That's still pretty good value

As promised video clip of Athearn SW1500 running under DCC with Lenz 8-pin silver+ decoder fitted.

Side by side SW1500 with MM0183, both fitted with Lenz Silver+ decoders (8 pin & 21 pin respectively). Also segment of slow running over insulfrog points.

There was a marked improvement in low speed smoothness under DCC compared with DC. I presume this is down to higher track voltage helping pickup continuity, and BEMF on the motor drive. The motor drive is nearly as good as the amazing MM141/181 and seems equal to MM071s.

Thanks for taking the trouble to do that, Noel. That's a very impressive test run versus the 141. The initial slow speed crawl id pretty amazing. Irishrailway (earlier posts) has been pretty impressed with the running of the newer Athearn SW1500 chassis and runs several. Mnay thanks for that video!:tumbsup:

Yes you're right. I looked into it and it's actually a body kit for a GL8. According to the dimensions on their website is is very definitely 1/87 scale and wouldn't work at all.

Apparently the GL8 body is now made by a Brazilian company called Hobbytec and although a 'resin' kit actually is a fair representation of the exported EMD GL8s. At 160 Reals it is about US$40 or €37

GL8 kit Hobbytec Brazil.jpg

Unfortunately, it is definitely HO and at 125 x 40 x 32 mm scales to only 31' 3" in OO but about 35' 9" in HO. The prototype drawing for 121 on the site is not quite as detailed as say the B Sulzer but I think the 121 is 36'2" over the sills.

I think that I saw the bogies or side frames are available separately so, for the MIR kit, might be an alternative to the white metal side frames which seem to be oversized, in conjunction with say the modern Athearn SW1500 switcher chassis

Edited by DiveController

• 3 weeks later...
The 121 is fairly unique and the chassis details differ even from the 141/181 I believe. The Athearn chassis are also HO but this does not affect performance or looks in OO too much. I have 5 of these and the DCC ready, lights and running qualities are excellent although the fuel tank/bogies are ok they don't completely match the 121 prototype.

Even if correctly spaced bogies can be found, they will probably foul the ladders at both ends of the body. One other option might be to get Black Beetle motors/wheel sets and power the model in that way attaching 121 bogie sides. Again, all modelling is a blend of affordability, time/patience available, what level of "correctness" is acceptable etc...

Athearn appear to sell their chassis directly these days via Horizon Hobbies

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATH98122

Best click through from the athearn site and change the settings to Euro Ireland for the correct rates and shipping costs.

I tried to search the HH site for other goods, but the less said about that experience the better

• 3 weeks later...

A well known Super Guru of this parish has sourced a kit for myself, while awaiting the kit I had a go at a bit of bash of altering an athearn s1500 to look a bit like a 121! No laughing and never mind the two foot rule this one requires the 12 foot rule. Anyway it's an attempt for someone with no skills or tools for this kind of stuff and helps feed my craving until Mr.Murphy's masterpieces arrive.

A well known Super Guru of this parish has sourced a kit for myself, while awaiting the kit I had a go at a bit of bash of altering an athearn s1500 to look a bit like a 121! No laughing and never mind the two foot rule this one requires the 12 foot rule. Anyway it's an attempt for someone with no skills or tools for this kind of stuff and helps feed my craving until Mr.Murphy's masterpieces arrive.

I notice you improved the look by filming 'at dusk';) Good chance to get some skill improvement before the kit comes. Chassis will then find its real purpose. Post a lit photo if you get a chance. Located a Frateschi G12 for mine this week so will report back on that chassis

Nice to see Black&Tan. :)

I hadn't the heart to cut this SW1500 up especially as she was sort of Black&Tan (and yellow) :) She was destined as a donor but I've decided to keep her.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a go at the MIR kit - and practised my skills while making it. The painting and work isn't a patch on the neat work so often posted by members here, but it's progress at the basic level I operate at. I enjoyed the kit and I'm delighted with the representation of the 121 class until Mr. Murphy's models arrive. I need the IE stickers and loco numbers if anyone out there has a any as the ones in the set are breaking up. My next project now will be to source three BR MKIIIs and I'll have a go at a push pull set for the 121.

Thanks for having a look. Tommy

Had a go at the MIR kit - and practised my skills while making it. The painting and work isn't a patch on the neat work so often posted by members here, but it's progress at the basic level I operate at. I enjoyed the kit and I'm delighted with the representation of the 121 class until Mr. Murphy's models arrive. I need the IE stickers and loco numbers if anyone out there has a any as the ones in the set are breaking up. My next project now will be to source three BR MKIIIs and I'll have a go at a push pull set for the 121.

Thanks for having a look. Tommy

Tommy, Looks good. I have a spare set of 121 IE water-slide transfers and will drop them in the post to you. Gerry

Picked up a Push/Pull set for the 121 at the Bray show last Sunday, while it's far from perfect I'm happy with this representation of a train that used to be a regular visitor to the DSER on Sundays, back in the early 90s. Thanks to Gerry for the transfers.

Hi Tommy,

You asked me to report back on the Frateschi chassis when I got one, it finally arrived in the post during the week. It's a G12 chassis which I thought was the same as the G8 (and it may or may not be) having failed to get any definite answer from Frateschi in Brazil or the US distributor, so pretty much 'zero' for customer service.

That said, it's definitely too long for the inside of the MIR kit and in all probability the bogies will foul in the inside of the chassis especially on curves. Haven't had time to get to it but will likely need a will a cut and shut to remedy this. So much for it being HO! Fortunately I did not invest a huge sum in it as it was purchased used in NZ livery on eBay, still significantly cheaper than acquiring on in the US or from Brazil (due to the postage cost)

The bogies look prototypical versus the Athearn SW1500 chassis which Gerry is using but I'd bet the Athearn's running characteristics are better. The Frateschi is noisier then my lone Atlas switcher and way noisier than a MM 141. Max speed like the 141 is not that fast, slow speed is not that slow but it pulls very well. The catch is that he weights are mounted fore and aft snugly inside the BODY. It's likely they might not fit easily somewhere on the chassis under the MIR body without running a drive shaft through the weights, in which case there should be plenty of room between the flywheels and gear towers.

Picked up a Push/Pull set for the 121 at the Bray show last Sunday, while it's far from perfect I'm happy with this representation of a train that used to be a regular visitor to the DSER on Sundays, back in the early 90s. Thanks to Gerry for the transfers.

Did you pick these up as a set or just the driving coach? which manufacturer?

Looks good on the video

Hi Tommy,

You asked me to report back on the Frateschi chassis when I got one, it finally arrived in the post during the week. It's a G12 chassis which I thought was the same as the G8 (and it may or may not be) having failed to get any definite answer from Frateschi in Brazil or the US distributor, so pretty much 'zero' for customer service.

That said, it's definitely too long for the inside of the MIR kit and in all probability the bogies will foul in the inside of the chassis especially on curves. Haven't had time to get to it but will likely need a will a cut and shut to remedy this. So much for it being HO! Fortunately I did not invest a huge sum in it as it was purchased used in NZ livery on eBay, still significantly cheaper than acquiring on in the US or from Brazil (due to the postage cost)

The bogies look prototypical versus the Athearn SW1500 chassis which Gerry is using but I'd bet the Athearn's running characteristics are better. The Frateschi is noisier then my lone Atlas switcher and way noisier than a MM 141. Max speed like the 141 is not that fast, slow speed is not that slow but it pulls very well. The catch is that he weights are mounted fore and aft snugly inside the BODY. It's likely they might not fit easily somewhere on the chassis under the MIR body without running a drive shaft through the weights, in which case there should be plenty of room between the flywheels and gear towers.

Comprehensive description there.

Any photos for us? :)

The G12 is not the same as the G8. It's a good bit longer although it does use similar(same?) bogies.

The G8 & G12 were virtually indistinguishable the main difference was the (much noiser) 8 cylinder engine and lighter fabricated underframe for use on lightly used lines, the A1A A1A version of Frateschi model is similar to the G12 & 8 supplied to NZR https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_DB_class_locomotive.

The 121s were a high cabbed development of the lightweight GL8 type introduced in the early 60s for use on the 5'3" gauge Victoria Railways in Australia