AddressPal

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

It can also save you money. Cost of sending a 1kg parcel direct to ROI would be 10.49 Euro. Via AddressPal, it would be £2.80 2nd class post in UK, plus 3.50 Euro on collection from PO, making a total of 8.05 Euro. However, this is at basic postage rates, most retailers would be charging more than that for postage, whatever way the parcel was sent.

1. It usually costs less and some UK online retailers ship inside the UK for free
  2. It gets around UK suppliers who don't ship to ROI
  3. It is a great way to get enamel paints in tiny modellers tins shipped here without the need for daft 'hazchem' couriers (H&S insanity)

A difference between AddressPal and ParcelMotel is PMs UK address is in NI which is off the GB mainland island, hence need for 'hazchem', but AddressPal's UK address is on the GB mainland.

I've been using ParcelMotel a long time now, and can't fault the service. I would be slow to change to anyone else. However, as Noel pointed out, AddressPal's mainland UK address may be an advantage in some instances.

Another advantage is the post office is closer to our home than the nearest PM collection point, and more importantly there is NO EXTRA COST penalty for late collection of a parcel from Post Office. I think after 48hrs if you haven't collected from PM there is a €4 extra charge per day, not so with AddressPal. Useful if you are away for a few days.

For folks into painting it also means enamels and thinners can now be posted here from UK which is no longer possible via PM.

Edited by Noel

i used address pal 6 times in February , to take advantage of the 1 euro introduction rate. once my local PO got there head around how it worked it was fine, I did get 4 of the 6 for free as they didnt know to charge me

i use Parcel motel 4-6 times a month and I find it excellent

but address pal like parcel wizard had its uses

Another advantage is the post office is closer to our home than the nearest PM collection point, and more importantly there is NO EXTRA COST penalty for late collection of a parcel from Post Office. I think after 48hrs if you haven't collected from PM there is a €4 extra charge per day, not so with AddressPal. Useful if you are away for a few days.

For folks into painting it also means enamels and thinners can now be posted here from UK which is no longer possible via PM.

Parcel Motel collection points are open 24/7 rather than just PO opening hours. Each service has its pros and cons.

Parcel Motel collection points are open 24/7 rather than just PO opening hours. Each service has its pros and cons.

Agree. I find both excellent. However AddressPal is now the only inexpensive way to ship enamel paints from UK to Ireland as PM won't accept 'hazchem'. Daft calling tiny 14ml tins of modelling paint 'hazardous chemicals' but there you go. :) H&S insanity!!! UK retailers won't even post enamel paints to IOM or Isle of Wight :confused:

Agree. I find both excellent. However AddressPal is now the only inexpensive way to ship enamel paints from UK to Ireland as PM won't accept 'hazchem'. Daft calling tiny 14ml tins of modelling paint 'hazardous chemicals' but there you go. :) H&S insanity!!! UK retailers won't even post enamel paints to IOM or Isle of Wight :confused:

Noel, This isn't the issue. the issue is that the Royal Mail will not accept any solvent based liquids. Its nothing to do with PM, PM will in effect transport anything that you can deliver to their NI depot . The problem is that retailers in the UK, then have to use a courier service to deliver solvent based paints and that is considerably more expensive to deliver to NI then mainland UK. ( as the Royal Mails operation to NI is subsidised by the UK exchequer to retain price compatibility with the UK )

It should be noted that all of the carriers including ANpost and PM have restrictions on solvents, the "advantage" is that neither AddressPal or PM "know" whats in the parcel delivered to them, so they happily ship it to you . The issue is the stickier for the rules UK retailers

nor is it Hazchem, its merely a rule change by the Royal Mail a year or two ago to " protect staff " from spillages , The paint materials themselves are not subject to Hazchem rules

Edited by Junctionmad