New Look

Rate this topic

BosKonay

The new forum software is much easier to do something like this.

1. Edit post
  2. Backspace over or DEL to delete existing broken image in the post to remove it
  3. Copy the image URL of the replacement image on your new hosting site (i.e. not photobucket)
  4. Paste the image URL of the replacement image into the post at the cursor location (e.g.http://www.somephotosite/wrenneire/murphyalbum/IMG1234.jpg )
  5. The new forum software will automatically convert the new URL into a visible image which will appear before your eyes within a second or two.
  6. Repeat if any other images in the post.
  7. Save the post

A few hours should do it.  With the old vBulletin BB it only took me a few hours to update all my old posts with images.  What will take you time is to re-upload the images to your new photo hosting site (assuming you still have the original JPGs), or alternatively you can still download each of your PhotoBucket albums one at a time to your PC and this saves you downloading images one at a time (e.g. if you download a PB album with 200 images, all 200 will download to your PC in one step).  You may then be able to use a bulk upload tool with your alternate image hosting web site.  

IMHO, that superb Lima Murphy Models thread is worth the effort if you have the time.

PS: It looks like the new forum has a photo storage cache, so copies of linked images are stored here and therefore will never be lost again in the future (i.e. insulation against typical issues like albums being moved, renamed or deleted, photobucket, dropbox policy changes, etc).  A good idea thanks to Stephen.

10 minutes ago, burnthebox said:

Have to ask why is Photo Galleries, Railway Related, Non Irish, Shops etc.  so faint in the listing so as to almost render them insignificant....or maybe it's my iPad, no problems anywhere else.....

Can you share a screenshot BTB? Every category looks the same to me?

27 minutes ago, burnthebox said:

Forgot to mention I don't see the list of what members are on today or anything like that...

I still get the Who's Online list - in the bottom right corner - a short list of the 'real people' and a click for a full list with all the "guests".

10 hours ago, Noel said:

The new forum software is much easier to do something like this.

1. Edit post
  2. Backspace over or DEL to delete existing broken image in the post to remove it
  3. Copy the image URL of the replacement image on your new hosting site (i.e. not photobucket)
  4. Paste the image URL of the replacement image into the post at the cursor location (e.g.http://www.somephotosite/wrenneire/murphyalbum/IMG1234.jpg )
  5. The new forum software will automatically convert the new URL into a visible image which will appear before your eyes within a second or two.
  6. Repeat if any other images in the post.
  7. Save the post

A few hours should do it.  With the old vBulletin BB it only took me a few hours to update all my old posts with images.  What will take you time is to re-upload the images to your new photo hosting site (assuming you still have the original JPGs), or alternatively you can still download each of your PhotoBucket albums one at a time to your PC and this saves you downloading images one at a time (e.g. if you download a PB album with 200 images, all 200 will download to your PC in one step).  You may then be able to use a bulk upload tool with your alternate image hosting web site.  

IMHO, that superb Lima Murphy Models thread is worth the effort if you have the time.

PS: It looks like the new forum has a photo storage cache, so copies of linked images are stored here and therefore will never be lost again in the future (i.e. insulation against typical issues like albums being moved, renamed or deleted, photobucket, dropbox policy changes, etc).  A good idea thanks to Stephen.

Looks very interesting Noel

However my posts were placed back in 2012, so the edit feature is not available on them, like myself too old 

Any idea how edit might be reinstated? 

6 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Looks very interesting Noel

However my posts were placed back in 2012, so the edit feature is not available on them, like myself too old 

Any idea how edit might be reinstated? 

Hi Dave. Stephen could temporarily grant your forum account edit permission for your old posts.  That's how I updated mine.  He kindly switched it on for me for a number of days and I edited virtually every post I'd made with images. Worked a treat. Noel

Ps. Dont forget you yourself have not lost a single photobucket image. They are all still there, you just need to move them to another host, or download the lot back to your own PC and then optionally edit them back in as attachments rather than links. I went the former route (there's a thread somewhere how dunnit).  

8 hours ago, burnthebox said:

Yes I do have them minimized, the way I always have them, but unlike in this NEW layout I could always see them clearly, !  

Forgot to mention I don't see the list of what members are on today or anything like that...

WHen minimised, the forum assumes you don't really want to see them, so they are greyed out. The who's online is down the bottom right :) Enjoy :) 

10 minutes ago, Weshty said:

€400 a year for Photophucket hosting is just ...a bit too heavy for most enthusiasts.  They clearly want to wash out the amateurs.

Agree its not worth paying, especially as PhotoBucket's service and site performance is so poor.  Easy solution is to bulk download entire PB albums to ones PC and then bulk upload to an alternate hosting site, then edit the links in past posts here (i.e. with temporary edit privilege granted by admins).

On 10 November 2017 at 9:02 AM, BosKonay said:

WHen minimised, the forum assumes you don't really want to see them, so they are greyed out. The who's online is down the bottom right :) Enjoy :) 

Thanks BosKonay,  hadn't noticed the minimised area with the list of members in line , guess I'll have to go back to Specsavers ......

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...

It occurs to me that the traffic figures might not fully reflect the actual activity. Particularly with the shorter posts, they can be read on the Latest Posts column and the whole site Marked Read without the thread being 'entered'. I've certainly noticed myself doing that a lot more on the new layout.

Edited by Broithe
  • Informative 1

• 3 months later...