IRM Cement Bubble Wagons

Rate this topic

Noel

IRM Cement Bubble wagons arrived on the layout this evening.  They are stunningly sublime.  :-bd Stephen, Richie, Patrick and Fran take a bow. =D =D =D =D

IMG_3376.jpg

The detail is up yet another level

IMG_3382.jpg

Looking forward to 'gently' weathering these

IMG_3377.jpg

The detail for model wagons is just beyond belief.  Look at the reading on the pressure gauge.

IMG_3379.jpg

And the underside . . . words are insufficient.  Well done team IRM - class product. :-bd

IMG_3375.jpg

PS: There was no cement inside any of mine :rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Garfield said:

Great photos, Noel, and delighted you’re happy with your bubbles. It was nice meeting you today - sorry I couldn’t chat for longer. 

Your welcome.  No prob re chat, I could see you guys were rather busy hyper.gif hyper.gif hyper.gif hyper.gif

• Like 1

Had to wait for natural daylight to photograph the black chassis on the cement bubbles.   There is so much superb detail hidden by the black I'm going to lightly weather the chassis a slightly brighter colour so the details becomes more visible in relief.

IMG_3383.jpg

The detail is just on another stratosphere =D

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

http://www.derg.ie/albums/kingsbridge/IMG_3384.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Had to wait for natural daylight to photograph the black chassis on the cement bubbles.   There is so much superb detail hidden by the black I'm going to lightly weather the chassis a slightly brighter colour so the details becomes more visible in relief.

IMG_3383.jpg

The detail is just on another stratosphere =D

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3384.jpg

http://www.derg.ie/albums/kingsbridge/IMG_3384.jpg

The detail is amazing alright. Good to talk yesterday Noel, sorry I had to juggle between all the people who wanted to chat. I will be back at the SDMR show tomorrow.  See you soon.

• Like 1

Started to very lightly weather some of the new cement bubble wagons this evening.  I have to admit to being scared witless I might destroy these fabulous wagons, but have tried to keep the weathering minimal.  First some frame dirt on the black chassis and barely a dusting on the bubble just to remove the pristine look, and then some powder.  Will look at it again in the morning in natural day light before deciding what if anything to add.  Perhaps a little greyer on top.

IMG_3387.jpg

Left two wagons had a light dusting with air spray, the third wagon on right has had a little weathering powder added.  

IMG_3388.jpg

Will probably need a little tidying up tomorrow when I can view in day light.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Starting to look well, got mine yesterday thinking of weathering to, what do you think about using actually cement dust on,  its very fine dust

I've tried it and it doesn't work so good as it dries to a grey colour, like, uhm, cement :P The run off stuff on the prototypical wagons was that light foamy stuff, so if you were to mix it with joint filler or plaster 50/50, you're closer to the right finish. Mixed results with it, would prefer several coats of paint using a rock salt method, then powders to finish. R. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

They are fantastic wagons and full credit to all concerned for producing them. The detail is just gobsmacking. Just one small thing though, they seem a little light in weight and when running in a rake I've found some jump the track especially on points. Added some extra weight to the underside though and seems to have cured it. Still a fantastic wagon though. Bring on the Tara's!!!

• Like 1

Ok take 3 - added some grey to the top of the tank and a little power on the top surfaces of the chassis frame

IMG_3402.jpg

Kind of trying to make them look like their first year or so in that livery with minimal dirt

IMG_3404.jpg

Note entirely happy but still newish to this weathering malarkey so will probably now do the full rake looking similar to this first pack.  Thank you team IRM for truly superb wagons.  Video clip in due course.

One from the second set to get a just a little bit more weathering, but still in first year or two of operation with the new Irish Cement livery.

IMG_3432.jpg

The pristine IRM ballast wagons in the back ground are now demanding parity - weathering beckons! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, popeye said:

That looks better,  the weathering on the real thing was random with varied marks.

Look very closely at pictures of the real thing,  but they are great,  it's up to you how far you want to go. :-bd

Thanks Popeye.  Yes it looks better with a little more grime on the second set.  

But that's enough weathering 'spinach' for my personal taste even if not strictly prototypical.  Trying to simulate them in their first year of operation with the then new blue Irish Cement livery, so they look smart and fresh on the layout.  Just me but I don't like the way they looked filthy at end of life with all the blotch marks where caked cement chipped off.  :D Have two more sets to do over the weekend and will try vary them a little.  I've very tempted to keep one set or at least one wagon absolutely pristine as an example of the superb model untouched.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Weathered 6 more cement wagons today.  Added some texture to the tops using 'Mr Surfacer 500'.  Then weathered over it. I've a little more to do to the grey chassis on the orange wagons.

Orange wagons with some texture on top.

IMG_4374.jpg

Ivory wagons with some grunge on top.

IMG_4379.jpg

Orange livery cement wagons moderately weathered 

IMG_4376.jpg

Ivory livery cement wagons moderately weathered

IMG_4377.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1
  • WOW! 1