Silverfox - New Irish Coach releases

Rate this topic

Noel

Holy moly - by accident just stumbled upon all these new coach releases on SF's web site.  Mama mia B&T 1960s heaven :) 

CIE Open 3rd

ie_open_3rd_black_orange.jpg

CIE Buffet car

ie_buffet_car_black_orange.jpg

Bulleid Heating Van

ie-Bullied-heating-van-1.jpg

Modified Bulleid Heating Van

ie-Bullied-heating-van-modified-1.jpg

Six Wheel Heating Van

ie-6-wheel-heating-van-1.jpg

TPO

ie-TPO-van-1.jpg

Bulleid Hooded Luggage Van

ie-Bullied-luggage-van-1.jpg

Edited by Noel
Typo/Lexdysia
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Are these re-liveried / amended LMS coaches? If not too dear, useful for starter layouts.

Hi Jonathan.  I don't know. I just spotted them today on their web site. The short wheel base heating/luggage vans look like resin bodies rather than repaints. I'd like to examine them close up before buying.  Noel

8 hours ago, Glenderg said:

The choice of orange shade appears decidedly orange, rather than "tan", but I blame age and eyesight...

Yes the photos certainly look 'orange' alright, could be white balance.  I presume John is using the same precision paints CIE Golden Brown he uses on his other CIE B&T stock which look more tan like.

14 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Are these re-liveried / amended LMS coaches? If not too dear, useful for starter layouts.

The two bogie coaches have all the characteristics of the Airfix/Dapol LMS 60ft Composite coach, which have been fitted with etched brass overlays for the sides.

The two Bulleid vans have no parts recognisable to me, so I would assume they are kits.

The six wheel van is running on a Hornby six wheel van chassis. The body is probably a kit.

The TPO and Luggage van seem to be fitted with Lima wagon couplings, so I would assume the underframes are of Lima origin with added detail, and again the bodies are probably kits.

Edited by Dhu Varren
  • Like 1

The orange IS a bit bright, but could be dumbed down with weathering - while CIE coaching stock was typically better kept than the UTA or BR across the pond did, four wheeled vans tended to be more weathered. Indeed, a pristine van wasn't usual.....

The Silverfox range are a fantastic addition. Some of us want RTR and haven't the modelling skills of our esteemed star performers on this website. Some of us want intensely detailed models, as close as possible to original. Others are happy to have a "look". There's a place for it all, and Silverfox's locos in particular fill an otherwise gaping void in the market.

For Murphy-style accuracy, the gaping voids are cattle trucks, fertiliser wagons*, J15s* and AEC railcars. 

(* these, by all accounts, are on their way)

Leslie filled probably the biggest gaping void with his H vans. Leslie - I hope they're flying off the shelves! So many excellent layouts have BR wagons on them, so there's a market.

Edited by jhb171achill

I am sure that as soon as a large selection of high quality Irish models are available ready to run we will finally see some incredible layouts from certin members on this site. In the meantime I suggest  lighting a candle rather than curse the darkness.

Edited by patrick
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, patrick said:

I am sure that as soon as a large selection of high quality Irish models are available ready to run we will finally see some incredible layouts from certin members on this site. In the meantime I suggest  lighting a candle rather than curse the darkness.

Or maybe they could just treat us to a look at their own scratch-building/modifying skills?

Edited by irishthump
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

I, for one, am extremely grateful to the likes of John Hazleton and Tom Brady for the products they produce. Yes, they may not be perfect but the pleasure is then in bringing them up to a common and acceptable standard. Everybody raves about the MM Cravens and, yes, they are lovely models but why are the wheels undersize? Is to to go round trainset radius curves? Hornby, Bachmann and Dapol don't need to do that, so why did MM?

Stephen

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 4 years later...

I’ve a green one and a silver one on order. They are very good to deal with, always answering emails promptly.

Guidance on livery is needed though - they tend to use light grey roofs on the CIE green livery, which should be black; and white lining and “snails”, which should be light green. But you can point out what you want when you’re ordering.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I’ve a green one and a silver one on order. They are very good to deal with, always answering emails promptly.

Guidance on livery is needed though - they tend to use light grey roofs on the CIE green livery, which should be black; and white lining and “snails”, which should be light green. But you can point out what you want when you’re ordering.

Is it still the case they only make Irish stuff in August/October

i’d be getting one in silver if any colour.  I reckon even still I’d have to make modifications to my order if this van is anything to go by. I think the chassis, and the gangway are supposed to be silver. And perhaps with the release of the A class. Revising the colour of these to fit those locos more would be better? 

I don’t think RTR versions of these will be out soon if at all. When JM designs have done a great kit for those of us skilled enough, and silverfox have these ready to go at a years notice! So I MIGHT pick one of these up

DDC440F6-1618-4435-8537-A6AB4A1587DD.png

• Like 1

Delighted to have this 6 wheel SF heating van. More than good enough quality for me. Perfectly augments my 1960s CIE era stock, laminates, park royals and cravens.

SF6WheelHeatingVan.jpg

It needed a little weathering though. Looking forward to receiving some JM design brass tin vans later this year. 

SF6WheelHeatingVan2.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 10
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Is it still the case they only make Irish stuff in August/October

i’d be getting one in silver if any colour.  I reckon even still I’d have to make modifications to my order if this van is anything to go by. I think the chassis, and the gangway are supposed to be silver. And perhaps with the release of the A class. Revising the colour of these to fit those locos more would be better? 

I don’t think RTR versions of these will be out soon if at all. When JM designs have done a great kit for those of us skilled enough, and silverfox have these ready to go at a years notice! So I MIGHT pick one of these up

DDC440F6-1618-4435-8537-A6AB4A1587DD.png

Yes.

Much as I like Silverfox Models - and I would recommend them as a good "quick fix" (I've several myself and more on order), their livery details need serious research. ALL silver coaching stock, like locos, also had silver bogies, silver roofs and silver gangways. The reason is that silver was not a livery as such - the coaches were simply in bare metal, not painted.

The numerals on them should be in pale green, or in some cases RED, believe it or not; but never black. Similarly, many of their silver locos have black numbers or "snails" - also incorrect. 

Their green coach roofs are grey - they should be black. Their "G" class locos - the later G61X class were never green, only the first 3, G601-3 were ever green. Those three has a large cabside number, and no snail; the green livery with snail and small number is a DCDR thing, never carried by anything in real life. I must do out a diagram for "G" class liveries, of which there were three for the G601s and two for the G611s, as I don't think I've ever seen a model of a "G" correctly painted.........!

Please nobody take this as a rant - just clarification for the sake of accuracy!

So, for your silver van, yes, you'll need to respray the entire chassis and gangways. At least the roof isn't black! Mind you - for anything CIE and silver, in all reality the single most accurate "livery" of the lot is an exceptionally grim layer-upon-layer of grime, brake dust and general wear and tear....they looked truly awful after only a very short time in traffic and most were repainted green as soon as resources would allow!

Should have added, for West Cork vans such as this are plain essential. You'll literally need one on every passenger train which isn't steam - though steam trains usually carried them as brake vans too. If I were you, and modelling West Cork, I'd be looking for three or four of them.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1