The Biggest Little Railway in the World

Rate this topic

Speedy

This might be of interest to people, it's a 5 part series starting on Channel 4 on January 7th @ 8pm. A group of people build a model railway across Scotland in the hope of setting a World Record

fc6576d2-8775-4ed1-a041-877790e9a8c7.jpg

Dick Strawbridge and a team of model railway enthusiasts attempt to build the longest model railway in the world, 71 miles across Scotland, from Fort William to Inverness

Facebook link : https://www.facebook.com/The-Biggest-Little-Railway-in-the-World-119576451912100

Edited by Speedy

• 3 weeks later...

Mmm, despite purporting to make railway modellers appear as normal human beings, not sure everyone involved is a good advert for that [ok, takes one to know one!], though the Colonel certainly gives it some street cred. Star of the show for me is the loco & well done to Roundhouse for taking a risk in their product. If I had a garden line, I know what my first engine would be.

13 hours ago, popeye said:

I would agree with that. I thought the loco would pull more than one carriage and next week looks like a balls up. :doh: 

Yes we can deny it till the cows come home, but we model train buffs can at times have slightly interesting personality traits. :) 

19 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Episode on 4OD website now if you missed it, Watch 30 mins of it last night before the cold I have forced me to bed. Looked ok.

I quite enjoyed the programme myself, son in law sent me a text 30mins after it started but caught it on Ch4+1 later. Thought it was perhaps a little long and repetitive, it have been edited down to 30-40mins. Next week looks like a howl of misfortune.  Not sure how the RC electronics in the loco took to a dunking in the canal.  Fun though.  Recognised some prominent UK model youtube broadcasters.

• Like 1

It was a bit bizarre but interesting!  The 'Silver Lady' loco is actually green, but ah well.  Yip next week does look like a comedy of errors but I guess that makes good TV!  Will probably follow until the end of the series.  Hardly a model railway though, stretching the term a bit....71 miles of a stretch!

Not really sure if I enjoyed it. I think James May’s attempt to lay 4mm track from Barnstaple to Bideford was better. At least you know he’s a bit off the wall when he tries to put together a full size kit of a spitfire in the same series some years ago!

Stephen

22 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Quick replacement of the receiver and Servo and your off, I would expect they had a spare or 2 ready. Probably planned to have a dunk in the drink to draw in the viewers. I Never believe anything you see on TV these days. all construed.

Agree. It didn't take an engineer to see the CG of the boat would be too high, nor that the loco could be too heavy for the plywood truss bridge which has already broken under its own weight when carried (man handled after being wet). All par for the course as you correctly observed for entertainment TV. I've found a liberal drowning of wet electronics in WD40 can rapidly breath new life back into them. I've found a bath of WD40 can rapidly breath new life back into wet electronic devices. I'd trust dried RC gear in a boat or loco, but not on board 12ft wingspan 1/4 scale RC model aircraft!!! :)

23 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Quick replacement of the receiver and Servo and your off, I would expect they had a spare or 2 ready. Probably planned to have a dunk in the drink to draw in the viewers. I Never believe anything you see on TV these days. all construed.

I haven't watched this, but these sorts of programmes usually have some sort of fictional "added drama" to interest those who would be watching anything that was on at the time anyway. It's the same sort of thing as cooking against the clock in a tent, etc....

"Never watch a TV programme about a subject that you have any knowledge of yourself" is a good general rule these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched episode 3, must say it's holding my attention - well-put together TV with those addictive personal experiences that you can't help but warm to, like the chap whose two kids came up to visit him on his birthday and also got to drive the train, or the girl who got emotional when she saw the place where her grandfather trained as a WWII commando......and the USA-style trestle bridge across the 'canyon' was impressive, along with the bridge across the canal lock....yip am enjoying it!