Rosses Point - 1950s Sligo in 7mm

Rate this topic

Galteemore

Love the chicken rooting around behind the distinctive Irish gate. Domestic animals and wildlife are great for keeping the viewers interested on small point to point exhibition layouts, the viewers were more interested in finding counting the birds, rabbits and other small animals than watching the trains on a layout I exhibited at a MRSI Dublin exhibition many years ago

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love the chickens Galteemore, as you're probably aware Micheal Hamilton's mother kept chickens in the crossing keepers cottage at Dromahair and they roamed freely. There are photos of the chickens scratching around the yard during shunting operations.

S21 SLNC Dromahair 'Lough Erne' shunting 7may57b969

Something I'm definitely going to have to include, I just need to find a 2mm scale chicken.... (some does produce an etched one!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone! It’s been a learning experience in lots of ways and being such a small stage makes things easier. The chickens - yes, Angus, that’s down to Michael Hamilton - and they are painted as Rhode Island reds just as at Dromahair ! Lovely  shot of the morning goods ex Sligo - with someone obviously hitching a ride on the empty coach..., Good idea on magnets - can also facilitate a time travelling layout by swapping buildings over! 

• Like 3

Now there's a thought. A lot of things stayed the same for long periods, but people's clothes changed, as did road vehicles. The trouble with changing buildings to enable different paint jobs is finding space to store them. Easy enough in 2mm, less so in 7mm.

Definitely worth thinking about though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Layout room - which is multi-use to put it mildly -  was rearranged today - complete uprooting of layout and cupboards. Quick test run down the harbour branch (laid to SLNC standards and a terror to locos)  was required of course to check layout was running well - or no worse than usual. Rigorous track cleaning still left faulty and intermittent running. Then I checked the loco wheels - a rub with an IPA soaked cotton bud was most revealing ! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3

A case of cleanliness before godliness where model railways are concerned!😁 Know what you mean as have been slowly going through all my stock too and not just the locos. Wagon and coach wheels were all dirty enough to blacken a cotton bud soaked in meths - one per wagon required. They run much better now too and are not spreading fresh dirt around. Then I looked at my GS&WR brake van from Castle Rackrent. At first, I thought the wheels had been blackened, but it was a coat of grime getting on for half a millimetre thick - no doubt the result of many years hard work!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Midland Man said:

Hi victor

How did you subscribe to new Irish lines? I am not a master on using emails but is there a address? Galteemore love the video. Could you post more and do you used a mega points system?

Hi MM,

if you go to the NIL website here, at the bottom of the Home page are links for subscriptions, which are priced according to where you are - click on the appropriate link and away you go! You can subscribe using either a card or via PayPal. There's also a Contact page.

With kind regards,

Mark

Thanks gents. I’ll post more videos when I can. Sorry MM - nothing so sophisticated!! It’s an old technology. Wire in tube. A wire in plastic tube runs under the cork to a plastic knob on the baseboard edge. Wires from the frog are switched by a three way switch beside the knob. The white tape shows where the wire comes out of the cork- you can glimpse where it’s attached to the tiebar. It then dives off to the right and is essentially invisible under the quay branch. 

8554F1F0-05D7-49C6-ADCA-CD982A59CCCE.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2
  • WOW! 1

28 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Thanks gents. I’ll post more videos when I can. Sorry MM - nothing so sophisticated!! It’s an old technology. Wire in tube. A wire in plastic tube runs under the cork to a plastic knob on the baseboard edge. Wires from the frog are switched by a three way switch beside the knob. The white tape shows where the wire comes out of the cork.

Hi,

nothing wrong in my book with tried and tested methods! One question, though, have you engineered some means of positively locating the switch blades against the stock rails?

Looking forward to the next video!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Thanks gents. I’ll post more videos when I can. Sorry MM - nothing so sophisticated!! It’s an old technology. Wire in tube. A wire in plastic tube runs under the cork to a plastic knob on the baseboard edge. Wires from the frog are switched by a three way switch beside the knob. The white tape shows where the wire comes out of the cork- you can glimpse where it’s attached to the tiebar. It then dives off to the right and is essentially invisible under the quay branch. 

Class, wonderful. It reeks of 1950s Ireland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Not done anything on layout for ages (it’s mostly ‘finished’ anyway). Can you spot the new postbox? Did add real coal, secured with ModPodge, to bunker of No 42, which is posing in the sun....and ‘Titania’ got some too...the lumps look large but prototype pics show similar....

575AD737-53D6-4407-9738-A7AA7D2CD6BD.jpeg

3A2CA35D-FEDC-46A6-85A2-FB0F478EAF6D.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 11

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 23/11/2019 at 4:10 PM, Galteemore said:

Thanks Angus. Wow - what a relic you have in your hands! Boyd was a really interesting character -with a wide portfolio of other achievements outside railways - who did much for Irish and UK NG railway scholarship. Perhaps having W H Auden as an English teacher at school set him on a literary path! 

He was indeed an interesting character. I toured India with him in the 1970s and he had an encyclopaedic knowledge of a number of (long gone) narrow gauge systems we visitied - all steam, of course. Very droll, dry wit and great company, as was his wife. Had a huge interest, as we all know, in all things narrow gauge especially; the T & D and CDRJC were personal favourites of his.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Christmas Mail - 1: 7mm style, courtesy Galteemore and Northroader (don't look at the wheels, for the further side ones aren't on the track - 32mm meets 36.75mm gauge!

With the run-up to Christmas, the posh folk of Rosses Point Manor are getting ready to visit their relatives in Dublin and get a little shopping done in Grafton Street. The mail is aboard, but they're waiting for the coach to appear!

IMG_72182.thumb.JPG.c496388f0483ee8558cd74540ab6ca7b.JPG

Eventually the through coach is brought to the platform.

IMG_72202.thumb.JPG.92a8b7f0038c5fb38ee9f2a83941ecc3.JPG

And the connection to the Up Day Mail is ready for the off!

IMG_7225.thumb.jpeg.016178adca890cec1276fde553ab30f1.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1