W&K R trespass notice?

Rate this topic

gph2000

On 6/27/2019 at 9:11 PM, minister_for_hardship said:

Fake.

Had it from someone in the antiques trade, a foundry in New Ross churns out fake signs by the bushel.

Worth 10 or 15 euro, scrap iron value. I wouldn't pay any more for a novelty sign.

Given the performance of the W&KR the fake might be worth more than an original! If I wanted a mocked up sign I would go for something like  the GS&WR, the only reason I can think of for choosing an obscure outfit like this is to add authenticity.

Although I don't recall seeing it before, historic streetview images have present it in 2010. Were it not for the cross head screws I would have made a case that they might have had a yard in Tullamore to hold goods from the DE Williams brewery before moving them by road, rail or canal to Mountmellick/Portlaoise for rail transit to the port of Waterford.

I fail to see what the presence of modern screws have to do with anything, it's not like it's fastened to a gate. Whether it's a fake or original - it's obviously not in its original location.

It's not worn enough looking and the edges are far too sharp. 100% fake.

It was a standard GSWR design, used almost only by them. The solitary example of another company using this design that I’m aware of was the T & D.

I know from photos that there were at least 3 or 4 examples. My father photographed one at Castlegregory when he went there just before the line closed. Tralee has another at Basin Halt (I think), and there was one at some level crossing.

57 minutes ago, gph2000 said:

I'm impressed to see it in Yorkshire too. 

The Yorkshire one is/was here - https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7316522,-0.6725663,3a,75y,339.63h,85.08t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sTGPH1vo-NgE3R4I-xat17w!2e0!5s20100301T000000!7i13312!8i6656 - on this old school building, where the hanging basket thing is, next to the window, but it's appeared after this latest Street View picture (March 2010). The Geograph picture above was taken on September 15th, 2012, so it may well still be there now. The 'fence' in the Geograph picture is actually the open gate...

I was in Hull a few weeks ago and I may go again next year and spend some time at Fort Paull, to see the only remaining Blackburn Beverley, if I get the chance, I might go past and ask them why the sign is there...

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 8:48 PM, DERAILED said:

I fail to see what the presence of modern screws have to do with anything, it's not like it's fastened to a gate. Whether it's a fake or original - it's obviously not in its original location.

It's not worn enough looking and the edges are far too sharp. 100% fake.

Indeed; fastenings irrelevant. You could have a dud and a real thing attached to a modern garden gate, by the same screws....

• 1 month later...

Spotted this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-STYLE-IRISH-N-W-R-R-RAILWAY-NOTICE-NEWRY-WARRENPOINT-ROSTREVOR/143373840268?hash=item2161bf2f8c:g:QNIAAOSwZH1dbQP8 more intriguing one on eBay tonight. It's the wear/marks etc. on the back that I find interesting but I suspect, as usual. someone has been at it. What does anybody else think? The Newry, Warrenpoint & Rostrevor Railway did exist but...

FRONT.jpg

BACK.jpg

7 hours ago, DERAILED said:

Here's another one coming up for sale in a general auction. What company is it supposed to be from?

EBSR Gate notice.jpg

Most notable by the fact that the E&B R officially changed its name but never actually reached Sligo, the SLNCR prevailing with its route instead. I doubt any were produced in advance of an extension that was not built unless they were used on the original before the sligo portion was abandoned? 

19 hours ago, DiveController said:

Most notable by the fact that the E&B R officially changed its name but never actually reached Sligo, the SLNCR prevailing with its route instead. I doubt any were produced in advance of an extension that was not built unless they were used on the original before the sligo portion was abandoned? 

This was a GSWR Inchicore design only. Anything and everything that isn’t GSWR, with a few exceptions, and even a few that do say GSWR, are fakes. Total, lock, stock and barrel, fake.

One exception was the T & D. My father took a picture of one at Castlegregory station when he travelled there by train. I’ve seen a photo of one somewhere in Tralee as well.

I have a distant idea that the WLWR might have got Inchicore to make a few but I am not at all sure. I've never seen a photo or any reliable report of one.

On 9/11/2019 at 6:41 PM, jhb171achill said:

This was a GSWR Inchicore design only. Anything and everything that isn’t GSWR, with a few exceptions, and even a few that do say GSWR, are fakes. Total, lock, stock and barrel, fake.

One exception was the T & D. My father took a picture of one at Castlegregory station when he travelled there by train. I’ve seen a photo of one somewhere in Tralee as well.

I have a distant idea that the WLWR might have got Inchicore to make a few but I am not at all sure. I've never seen a photo or any reliable report of one.

Agree completely - apart from the GSWR, the T+D and also the Waterford, Dungarvan & Lismore are the only genuine ones that I know of. The WDLR ones were still in situ on that line long after closure and several passed through my hands. Sadly they are also now being forged.

• 2 years later...
12 minutes ago, DERAILED said:

I noticed this MGWR wagon plate in in the latest Great Central Railwayana Auction - the number seems very high and did the MGWR have (I) on their plates?

https://auctions.gcrauctions.com/catalogue/lot/a11ef74441c61a25429f23c395a279f6/61ad83272971a65b1b45f1d4d620c5f8/general-railwayana-online-sale-of-600-lots-lot-548/

It does LOOK genuine; if it's a dud it's a very good one.

Yes, the Midland could have had numbers that high  - but my concern is the "(I)" bit after "MGWR".  The OFFICIAL name of the company was, note order of wording, the "Midland Great Western of Ireland Railway Company"; not the "Midland Great Western Railway of Ireland". Thus, strictly, if the "I" is to be included, one would be inclined to think it would translate into initials as "MGW(I)R".

It was normal on MGWR carriage plates and other notices, trespass signs and the like to use simply "MGWR". I would prefer to see this thing in the flesh, as it were, in order to deremine its authenticity or lack thereof; as of now, the jury's out.

It is possible it was off one of those imported Belgian wagons - like General Motors' 1976 livery for the 071s, which was arong in several ways from the actual CIE livery of the day, and the "flying snail" on the control desk of NIR's three 071s, it's possible that a "foreign" manufacturer got the details wrong - but that's on the assumption that it was they, rather than Broadstone, who cast these plates in the first instance.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1