An NCC Narrow Gauge Diorama

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Yip, just as soon as some brave supplier releases a range of RTR LMS NCC narrow gauge stuff!!

Patrick, you could always get a kit of an IOMR 2-4-0T and finish it as the Ballymena and Larne engine of that ilk - then claim it was transferred?

I haven't got photos with me, or the book, but are the Peco RTR Lynton & Barnstaple coaches even remotely close?

Probably talking through my hat - it's too narrow a subject for me!

8 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Yip, just as soon as some brave supplier releases a range of RTR LMS NCC narrow gauge stuff!!

Patrick, you could always get a kit of an IOMR 2-4-0T and finish it as the Ballymena and Larne engine of that ilk - then claim it was transferred?

I haven't got photos with me, or the book, but are the Peco RTR Lynton & Barnstaple coaches even remotely close?

Probably talking through my hat - it's too narrow a subject for me!

Too ‘narrow’ Leslie - very good! I suppose it’s hard to ‘gauge’ the demand.....

My era is just before closure (the dreaded ‘Withdrawal of Services’ notice will be displayed). But as it’s a static diorama am not that bothered to have a train, just a few hoppers in the limestone siding perhaps!!

Edited by Patrick Davey

9 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Not really.... the big NCC ones in use before closure would have to be hand built as they were unique.

Original BR stock was all 6-wheeled. Again, like virtually everything Irish and narrow gauge, scratch building would be necessary.

The BR did get a bogie vehicle or two eventually, though they too looked different.

14 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Not really.... the big NCC ones in use before closure would have to be hand built as they were unique.

Original BR stock was all 6-wheeled. Again, like virtually everything Irish and narrow gauge, scratch building would be necessary.

The BR did get a bogie vehicle or two eventually, though they too looked different.

The "Boat Train" stock is available as sets of scratchbuilders parts (5 different types of coach) from Worsley Works in both 4 & 3mm scale.

Alan Doherty might be persuaded to produce a set of parts for one of the locos, but its difficult to see anyone releasing a rtr model or a conventional kit for an NCC 2-4-2T or the coaches.

It would be simple enough to build a static model of one of the locos in plasticard though the outside walschaerts valve gear would be challenging.

• Like 1

The reverend ladies on the platform are actually authentic - my mother's cousin was a nun in Ballycastle and she had plenty of memories of the railway, and that's not the only family connection I have to the Ballycastle line: my great grandfather was a driver on the BR in its independent days AND a great uncle of mine lived in Capecastle before emigrating to the USA.  I can imagine him starting that sad journey on the very platform I am recreating here.

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 3

Thanks Patrick. Those family connections are special. I’m just finishing off a model right now of the station where my grandfather’s freshly caught salmon were weighed before despatch to Dublin. I even found a 7mm model of the scales!! (The weighing scales, not the fish scales 😉)

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1
  • WOW! 1

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Thanks Patrick. Those family connections are special. I’m just finishing off a model right now of the station where my grandfather’s freshly caught salmon were weighed before despatch to Dublin. I even found a 7mm model of the scales!! (The weighing scales, not the fish scales 😉)

Sounds nice! Which station? Or are you keeping that on the QT? Looking forward to seeing it!

I had a go today at making the station name board using Slaters 3mm letters - with the over 40's eyesight working against me, the result isn't overly pleasing, so I may have to admit defeat and print this from the computer.

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

The nun is a HO figure from the Preiser range and I'm impressed at how well she stands up without any adhesive.

• Like 4