An NCC Narrow Gauge Diorama

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

11 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Pure art! Excellent!

Cheers JB, much appreciated sir!

13 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Fantastic work Patrick. Speaking as a Co Antrim native it looks highly realistic! 

Thanks G!

42 minutes ago, PorkyP said:

Proper sunlight really brings the grass to life....tho taking the board out in the rain for that authentic Irish effect may not be such a good plan ! 

Indeed!! Might be more authentic to have it out in the snow, to recall the time in 1947 when the train left Capecastle and ran into a snow drift......

• Like 2

A lovely piece of work. Will it have a backscene/fascia to frame it?

Not sure anyone has ever done rain effectively, though Gordon Gravett shows how to do puddles and wet patches in his book on grass, weeds and mud.

Years ago, remember a layout where everything had been given a coat of gloss varnish. Set in Dorset, I'm not sure how effective it was, but have always remembered the name - Piddling Down!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, David Holman said:

A lovely piece of work. Will it have a backscene/fascia to frame it?

Not sure anyone has ever done rain effectively, though Gordon Gravett shows how to do puddles and wet patches in his book on grass, weeds and mud.

Years ago, remember a layout where everything had been given a coat of gloss varnish. Set in Dorset, I'm not sure how effective it was, but have always remembered the name - Piddling Down!

Thanks David - yes indeed a suitable backscene is in planning - ideally based on a photograph of the area but if not a general one with lovely blue skies (no rain!) and fluffy clouds....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Final touches being made to the Capecastle diorama before display at Whitehead next week - telegraph poles and more trees, and black fascia added around three edges. We're working on a backscene today, not sure if I'll get this done according to my plan but at the very least there'll be blue skies!

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 6
  • WOW! 4

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

In the long term, there are models available that are not a million miles from NCC prototypes. A little poetic licence and an Isle of Man 2.4.0 in NCC maroon would make a nice sight sitting there...

Superb little cameo as is, though!

Cheers JB - my intended period is just before closure so I’d really be needing one of the 2-4-2 compounds, lovely engines they were too!  So if I can find a suitable OO9 chassis.......

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 1

Officially all done - Capecastle is finished and all ready to go for the show at Whitehead tomorrow. To complement the diorama there will also be a small photographic display showing the station as it looks today, along with some historical views, and some information about my family connections to The Ballycastle Railway. There will also be a digital slideshow showing over 300 photos and video clips of the construction of the diorama. And back by popular demand, are the reverend ladies!

A huge word of thanks to the many kind folk in this group who have commented on my updates during the build, this has been a great encouragement along the way. We’re stand number 11 at the exhibition, located upstairs in the loco building, so if you’re coming to the show tomorrow please drop by and say hello!

IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Interested in that photo showing the loco about to leave (into the tunnel) with a van behind it. Can you show this? Where did the photo come from?

JB it’s a Paterson photo, kindly given by Charles Friel. I’d need to check with Charles that he’d be happy for me share it but yes, it’s a cracker ok! 

4 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Just realised I have a view of Capecastle taken by the late JW Armstrong and in the ARPT Archives on my flickr site. Its uploaded as a link so as not to infringe my permissions from the Trust.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/23517901282/in/album-72157627623204943/

Ernie

Hi Ernie, yes indeed I have seen that photo on your excellent Flickr pages - it’s superb, thank you. Are there any more from the Armstrong collection? Thanks again. 

Unfortunately no more Irish narrow gauge, there are approx 50 Irish " standard " gauge Trust views still to upload and I have a fair number of recently acquired HC Casserley views to put on. There again I am meeting my mate from the Trust tomorrow at Newcastle Show and he might have something new!

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...